how many apps did you list as malware?
    i cant seem to find your post
    He listed 2 apps that I can see, Balloon game and BetterTwitter.
    BetterTwitter doesn't seem to have ever existed.

Balloon game isn't on Play, and is cross referenced in one post brmiller made referring to a security website, and that malware has been argued to be adware rather than malware. Anyway it's not available now, for Android devices at least, although if the bar is still available it would still be a threat, only to BB10.

It's pointless to engage with him though, as reneebob pointed out, he actually believes his own **** so he can't even see the discussion anymore. It's a complete mental block.

He can't see that no one is arguing Android has problems, but at the same time there's plenty of people who get apps selectively and use Android for years without problems, and, if anything, BB10 is more vulnerable as sideloading opens up a huge can of worms for malware.

Best thing is to just ignore him as at this point the only way this can go is degenerating into personal insults and unfounded accusations.
    03-10-13 06:11 AM
    Google, Apple app stores hit with spamming trojan - SC Magazine
    Malicious Android application loots bank login data - SC Magazine
    RSA 2013: iOS safer than Android due to open app model, patching delays - SC Magazine
    Pay-per-install pays big bucks in the mobile world - SC Magazine
    Android malware spreads via website-injection campaigns - SC Magazine
    Report finds 1,200 percent boom in Android malware - SC Magazine

And for the sake of completeness, there was one piece of Blackberry malware that hit the headlines recently:

BlackBerry, Android users targeted by new Zeus trojan - SC Magazine

Excerpt from the above:

Kaspersky Lab researchers say they have detected five new variants of a mobile trojan known as ZitMo, and four of them target BlackBerry devices, which typically have gone untouched by hackers
    03-10-13 06:13 AM
    Who are you having a discussion with? What point are you trying to make? There is malware on Android, who denied it? On the other hand, most users who are tech savvy and careful have never encountered it, I certainly never have when I was using Android as a daily runner for well over 3 years, and I'm not really that tech savvy.

You're likely more vulnerable through sideloading on BB10, especially as it's so heavily pushed by everyone as a perfectly legitimate way of getting apps that aren't on BB10 yet.

So again, what point are you making?
    reeneebob and randall2580 like this.
    03-10-13 06:15 AM
    I have never heard of BetterTwitter.
    That's strange. Don't you have all 800,000 apps memorized?

In fact, I just went to the Google Play Store and could not find it.
    Twitter 2 go ~ Android Application v1.0 By S | Communication
    03-10-13 06:28 AM
    I have very limited experience with Android, but this I can say. Two friends have had their handsets infected by apps downloaded from Play by their kids. They contacted me because I used to work for RIM and thought I could help. Please don't ask me why!

It cost one over 400 that she tried to claim back, without success.

I also know from talking with my companies IT department that one of our consultants downloaded an app that caused all mighty billing problems that resulted in him leaving the company.

In my years of dealing with BlackBerry with RIM, and supporting BES I have not come across a single infected handset.

I know others have commented before on this, but the way Google treat people's privacy by collecting data disgusts me. If BlackBerry were to start this I would leave the platform very quickly.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-10-13 06:29 AM
    Blackberry is the least vulnerable as it simply does not attract a high number of users right now, even when the market share was at its highest.
    Assuming facts not in evidence.

The lower marketshare right now certainly is a factor, but I think it's probably not the main factor why Blackberry is historically very very rarely successfully attacked with malware.

As others have mentioned, the Android runtime in BB10 is potentially going to change the whole ballgame in that regard, unless QNX has come up with some innovative way to clamp-down on what Android apps in BB10 can do. I'm not sure it's really possible, since a lot of the unwanted behaviour can look just like legitimate behaviour. (ie, sending out text message spam, at least if its done in moderate quantities. Huge quantities of course would look pretty suspicious)
    03-10-13 06:59 AM
    BlackBerry: there is no reason info gathering and maleware can't exist on the platform. Apps are not checked for storing data on servers.
    According to the developer of "PlayCloud" for BB10, there are various privacy requirements that have to be met before a developer can get "Made for Blackberry 10" or whatever that designation is called.

Of course, only a tiny fraction of apps in BW for the Z10 have that designation.

And people can install Android apps.
    Which I do believe is the big BIG achilles-heel in BB10. Though with a little ingenuity, I think Blackberry might be able to develop some sort of VM wrapper that might help mitigate that somewhat.

BBOS5/6/7 have apps in AppWorld that collect your PIN for unstopable spam.
    Once upon a time I installed a very popular multifunction travel app on my Bold. Shortly after I installed it, the company started sending marketing emails to one of the email addresses that was configured on that device. I sent them a seriously nasty message about that, told them to purge all instances of my email address from their systems and told them if I ever see another email from them I was going to report them all over the place for spamming.

Luckily, never heard a peep from them afterwards. Neither will I ever have anything to do with anything they ever produce.

(Edit: Just remembered the name of that app: WorldMate.)
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-10-13 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
    03-10-13 07:00 AM
    I would love for someone with experience deploying and/or managing the use of Androids in the enterprise to give a good overview of the device's security features. I think it would be very informative and probably do everyone a lot of good in terms of explaining what actually is a risk and what isn't.
    Ask Qbnkelt about that. Matter of fact, even easier: search for her posts on the issue. Here, I'll make it easy for you:

{Thread: Samsung takes aim at BlackBerry with new enterprise offering} This won't meet the Sectera, of course, but it is a formidable partnership to consumers and corporations that have been staying away from Android's vulnerability ridden devices.
    Read the rest of that thread if you're truly curious what people in the corporate I.T. world think of Android's security reputation.

It seems she and I have not particularly dissimiliar stances: I, like her, have an Android device. I also A) have an anti-malware utility installed on it, B) pay attention to best-practices when it comes to security and applications, and C) don't use it for sensitive data/tasks.
    03-10-13 07:02 AM
    Who are you having a discussion with? What point are you trying to make? There is malware on Android, who denied it?

The title of this thread is "Android has most malware, Blackberry least...".

What I am doing is supporting the premise of the thread.
    03-10-13 07:13 AM
    The title of this thread is "Android has most malware, Blackberry least...".

What I am doing is supporting the premise of the thread.
    Not really. You're using a lot of words to basically agree with everyone previously, as far as I can see, but making it sound like you're making a profound intellectual point

Android has malware. Which has been stated by brmiller. And agreed with by just about everyone.
    Said malware can be ignored by careful users on Android devices so that people can enjoy the benefits of Android apps without suffering, as most people who have actually used Android have pointed out, in this thread. I can't see anyone in this thread who has actually been hit by Android malware themselves.

Speculation is there, quite rightly, as someone pointed out and you yourself agreed with, that because of sideloading, this could be a much much bigger problem for BB10 than for Android devices themselves. Sideloaded apps will not benefit from any protection BlackBerry may deploy to vet Android apps in BlackBerry App World, because they will simply be released as bars to be downloaded from elsewhere.

Luckily the OpenWhatsApp dev seems completely legit, but that could have been a massive nightmare, all it would have taken was an unscrupulous dev, putting out a malicious bar, and asking people to sideload it if they want Whatsapp/Skype/Netflix etc.
    People would load it, give it permissions, and then where would they be? I was one of the first people who lined up for OpenWhatsApp, in what was essentially taking a huge risk.

No other platform makes those risks necessary to get apps or functionality people are keen for, and no other platform's users need to resort to this, and so make themselves vulnerable.
    At least at this stage in the game, BB10 users are probably the most vulnerable, security wise, of all the platforms.

Really, at a very basic level, everyone in this thread seems to be agreeing with each other.
    randall2580 likes this.
    03-10-13 07:47 AM
    Right now, because of its curated AppStore and lack of sideloading I'd say iOS is the least vulnerable.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    Until someone chooses to jailbreak their phone and get apps elsewhere. I don't see the difference between jailbreaking, sideloading or a custom ROM, not sure if that allows the ability to get apps elsewhere on Android? It's all in the user. Most average people will not do any on any platform and those that choose to do so put themselves at more risk than someone who doesn't regardless if there are malicious apps in their respective store.
    03-10-13 08:13 AM
    Still using my Android device this morning. Still have money in the bank. Still don't have malware on my device. The world is still spinning. Life is good.

It's about choice which some will disagree with. Agree with them or you are fanboi or part of a brigade. Amazing.
    03-10-13 08:25 AM
    wow, i hope all you android "malware" smoke blowers aren't posting from a windows pc... right...thought so LOL
    03-10-13 08:35 AM
    Until someone chooses to jailbreak their phone and get apps elsewhere. I don't see the difference between jailbreaking, sideloading or a custom ROM, not sure if that allows the ability to get apps elsewhere on Android? It's all in the user. Most average people will not do any on any platform and those that choose to do so put themselves at more risk than someone who doesn't regardless if there are malicious apps in their respective store.
    I suppose the difference is jailbreaking nullifies your warranty.
    Rooting does the same I think.
    Sideloading does not, and is actively encouraged by many sites regardless of the legality of the same.
    03-10-13 09:02 AM
    Ah and I have been invoked regarding Android in corporate.

I am with the federal government, not corporate. A very secure agency. We use the strictest BES configuration possible. No apps at all, no cloud storage. Can't even load the weather channel.

We do not use Android. I will not support Android in our agency and since I do have a certain level of influence I use it to keep our agency on BB. There is nothing that comes close to BES that is really available and which doesn't cost 3K per device. So BB on BES is what I support. There are sandboxed secure Android in projects similar to skunkworks at Edwards.

Now, Android is in DoD. Has been for quite a while. So is iOS. These are highly secure programs and you don't read about them because people who know don't discuss them. The more secure the project the greater the possibility of losing your job and no one who needs to pay bills will risk. So nothing about them in the media. And there has been no catastrophic leaks of information. There is a greater risk of someone's cover being blown through a vindictive ex or through ego a la Robert Hanssen than by an Android secure project being made vulnerable.

Personally, I have been using Android since the Atrix. Had two incidents of phishing through a live wallpaper. I have been careful since then. I don't do anything stupid like download unknown apps like this BetterTwitter or whatever crap. Going against conventional stereotypes, I don't pay games. My phones, including my Android, are things I use to help me manage my day.

So it is entirely possible to run an Android device safely. So I trust it with sensitive info or money? No. I play it safe because I knew the incidences of vulnerabilities are greater on Android. But I knew people who use Android for everything and they have not had one single problem.

So the hyperbole has got to stop.

There is so much trolling here is ridiculous. And if doesn't stand up to the stupid test. So to the fanatics on both sides, get real. There is very little in this world that is entirely one way or the other.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    03-10-13 09:09 AM
    He listed 2 apps that I can see, Balloon game and BetterTwitter.
    BetterTwitter doesn't seem to have ever existed.

Balloon game isn't on Play, and is cross referenced in one post brmiller made referring to a security website, and that malware has been argued to be adware rather than malware. Anyway it's not available now, for Android devices at least, although if the bar is still available it would still be a threat, only to BB10.

It's pointless to engage with him though, as reneebob pointed out, he actually believes his own **** so he can't even see the discussion anymore. It's a complete mental block.

He can't see that no one is arguing Android has problems, but at the same time there's plenty of people who get apps selectively and use Android for years without problems, and, if anything, BB10 is more vulnerable as sideloading opens up a huge can of worms for malware.

Best thing is to just ignore him as at this point the only way this can go is degenerating into personal insults and unfounded accusations.
    I finally added him to ignore. Enough was enough.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    richardat likes this.
    03-10-13 11:36 AM
    I finally added him to ignore. Enough was enough.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    Ditto.
    I enjoy having intelligent conversations with people, even people with viewpoints different than mine. I've learned a lot on here from conversations like that. But when it gets to the point where they twist your words around just so they can make their point, I'm done.
    randall2580 likes this.
    03-10-13 11:50 AM
    Ditto.
    I enjoy having intelligent conversations with people, even people with viewpoints different than mine. I've learned a lot on here from conversations like that. But when it gets to the point where they twist your words around just so they can make their point, I'm done.
    There are three on my list.

03-10-13 11:55 AM
    There are three on my list.

As long as I'm not one of them....that would be tragic. It is people like you that bring something of substance to the conversations on CB that brings me back. It's how an old guy like me can learn about all this new technology and enjoy it just like everyone else. No scare tactics, no lying, just facts and honest opinion. That's the way it should be.
    03-10-13 11:58 AM
    As long as I'm not one of them....that would be tragic. It is people like you that bring something of substance to the conversations on CB that brings me back. It's how an old guy like me can learn about all this new technology and enjoy it just like everyone else. No scare tactics, no lying, just facts and honest opinion. That's the way it should be.
    No love, not you. And thank you for the kind words.

03-10-13 12:12 PM
    Ditto.
    Stop bullying me.
    bobauckland, TgeekB and richardat like this.
    03-10-13 12:41 PM
    Stop bullying me.
    Stop. Touching. Me. Or. I'll. Tell. Mum.

Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-10-13 01:01 PM
    Well................ I never
    03-10-13 01:04 PM
    All mobile OS's have malware, including BlackBerry.

I've personally installed an app on bbry through AppWorld that was malware.

Be aware of what you install and who its from.

via Tapatalk
    03-10-13 01:05 PM
    Well................ I never
    I know.....

03-10-13 01:09 PM
253 ... 56789 ...