Seriously, I get apps from Play store. If someone gets 'infected' by a 'virus' or 'malware' from a sideloaded pirated, stolen app, they deserve what they get.
    How about if someone downloads malware from the Play store, where 1 in 10 apps is malware? Do they deserve malware as well?

Facts would be NAMES.
    Facts would be facts. I provided them, you don't like them, so you're hyperfocusing on something that doesn't matter.

Doesn't bother me either way. Much bigger fish in the security universe than I have noted the following facts:

1) 1 out of 10 apps on Google Play is malware;
    2) By the end of 2013, there will be 1 million separate Android malware attacks.

Oh, incidentally, I bumped into my neighbor in the hallway this afternoon and asked her if she remembered the name of the game that had the malware on it -- it's called "Balloon Game." So now, I win! Yay!
    03-08-13 10:02 PM
    So the first app that I helped uninstall is, as the victim (my neighbor) reminded me, a Google Play app called "Balloon Game."

Thanks to the power of Bing, I found more information on it here:

Android Counterclank Malware Assails Android Market: Symantec

I'll ask the other victims if the remember the title of the apps that I helped them uninstall, and post them here if they do.

Meanwhile, the rest of you can line up and begin apologizing. I'm nothing if not forgiving.
    03-08-13 10:04 PM
    In the mean time, post-apology, the Fandroid brigade can explain this Google Play security breach:

Malware went undiscovered for weeks on Google Play | Security & Privacy - CNET News

Security researchers have discovered malware hosted on the Google Play marketplace that went weeks undetected masquerading as games.

Android.Dropdialer, a Trojan that sends costly text messages to premium-rate phone numbers in Eastern Europe, had gone undiscovered for two weeks in the form of two game titles, Symantec researcher Irfan Asrar wrote in a blog post yesterday. The two games -- "Super Mario Bros." and "GTA 3 - Moscow city" -- were uploaded to Google Play on June 24 and generated 50,000 to 100,000 downloads, Asrar said.
    Did users here "not use common sense" or "deserve" to have their devices compromised (or have their phone bills run up) here?

How about these apps that turned phones into zombies? Is using one of these also a user's fault, if they're on the "safe, scanned Bouncer-secured Google Play?"

Malicious apps hosted in Google store turn Android phones into zombies | Ars Technica

A stash of 17 malicious apps remained freely available in the Google Play store, according to a blog post published Thursday by researchers from antivirus provider Trend Micro. Six of those titles contained a highly stealthy code dubbed Plankton, which causes Android-based phones to connect to command and control servers and wait for commands. At least 10 Plankton-based apps found last year in the Android market collected users' browsing history, bookmarks, and device information and sent them to servers under the control of the attackers.
    Or how about this malware attack? Should users who fell victim to this accept the blame, if they didn't realize that these Google-signed-and-approved apps were spoofs containing malware?

Malware Posing as Temple Run and Other Popular Apps Surface on Google Play - HotHardware

Temple Run was among the popular titles being spoofed, which appeared in Google Play as Temple Run Super. World of Goo Super was another. They were all posted by "apkdeveloper," who appears to have been banned from Google Play after a Reddit post drew attention to the malware infested apps.
    How secure is your device when Reddit threads are the primary security protocol for the "official app store?!?"

Imagine if "security" on BlackBerry, iOS or Windows Phone consisted of employees trawling threads on Crackberry, WP Central or iMore for reports of malicious code downloaded to a user's phone. Pathetic!
    03-08-13 10:17 PM
    Whoops, and here's a text from my friend Casey who had the Twitter client malware. He says the app was called "Bettertwitter."

That's two of five. I'll go dig up the remaining ones and see if they can remember. Then there's no reason for the Android brigade to derail the conversation, right?

In the mean time, Android folk, feel free to talk over the crickets by explaining all those malware titles in the Google Play marketplace that I cited earlier...
    03-08-13 10:36 PM
    So the first app that I helped uninstall is, as the victim (my neighbor) reminded me, a Google Play app called "Balloon Game."

Thanks to the power of Bing, I found more information on it here:

Android Counterclank Malware Assails Android Market: Symantec

I'll ask the other victims if the remember the title of the apps that I helped them uninstall, and post them here if they do.

Meanwhile, the rest of you can line up and begin apologizing. I'm nothing if not forgiving.
    I apologize for nothing. I find it convenient you suddenly 'ran into a victim'. Considering the sheer number of apps that pop up with a search of 'balloon game' I still don't see this definitive app. The link you provided doesn't load an article, just a landing page. And anyone with two brain cells to put together would hesitate to load any of those other apps mentioned in those articles from last year, or something called 'bettertwitter'.

1) read reviews
    2) look at number of downloads
    3) use common sense
    4) look at the name if the developer. Most people of somewhat average intelligence will question why GTA or Super Mario was free and published by a heretofore unheard of developer.

It's served me and others well and oh look... Not infected. And you keep going back to the well of articles by companies with a financial stake in fear mongering like you are doing. Do you work for Trend Micro or something?

So, in summary: no apology as I still see more holes in your story than Swiss cheese, and if your friends continue to get infected because they apparently are incapable of common sense, I have little sympathy.

You are posting the equivalent of chicken little.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to my exciting life of being bedridden for another 2 weeks and hiding from the big, bad scary virus ridden play store that I've managed to navigate without a single security breach since 2009.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    03-09-13 12:34 AM
    multiple connections coming form China!

Fortunately the PC they gained access to had nothing of real importance.
    http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps6c1347dd.png
    They just wanted your Bang Bus password

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 12:41 AM
    I've also just tried a few different search strings for a single article on this bettertwitter app, and not one hit. Not even one from your personal favorite Trend Micro. Clearly it was a huge danger and made a huge impact.

As far as the 'android brigade derailing the thread' - the thread was perfectly civil until you showed up and started the trend Micro drum banging again.

I'm out. It's like talking to a brick wall.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, and please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    03-09-13 12:49 AM
    I believe he said he sideloaded an app which I never do.
    You didn't but he did. Still an android app. Still tried and succeeded at gaining access.
    03-09-13 02:14 AM
    And why do you think they have the most? It's because they have the largest audience to gain whatever they are after from.
    BlackBerry was never a major source of virus, attacks and malware even when market share percentage was the highest and other OS's had less users.
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-09-13 02:31 AM
    Why on earth should anyone apologise to you brmiller?
    You have finally come up with a name, and sure enough neither of them are heavily downloaded apps.
    No one has heard of bettertwitter. Ever.
    That's my point, if you stick to tried and true apps you'll be fine.

Which isn't to say that Android doesn't have a problem, it does, but if you are careful you won't get stung by it.

And the fact remains that, through sideloading and the fact that bars float around and hardly anyone knows who has been doing the converting, BB10 could conceivably be more vulnerable than Android devices, because even the minimal protection of the Play store is removed.

Why are you being so deliberately obtuse as to not see this?
    Android has problems. Things are worse when the apps come from unknown sources.
    Sideloading on BB10 involves lots of Android apps invariably from unknown sources.

Edit: http://androinica.com/2012/01/lookou...k-not-malware/

This explanation debunks any rubbish about draining data caps, 2 GB in a day etc that some posters were going on about through this 'balloon' app.

The Z10 is good enough that you don't need to make things up about other platforms just to try and make BB10 seem better.

Also, if these apps were sideloaded, and given permission, I see no reason why the same consequences would not be seen on BB10.
    Last edited by bobauckland; 03-09-13 at 03:29 AM.
    MERCDROID and richardat like this.
    03-09-13 03:07 AM
    WOW so much drama. I'm so sorry I missed this from the beginning.

Yes, Android has much higher instances and incidences of exploitable vulnerabilities.
    Yes, I had two phishing incidences that I *think* were a result of some live wallpapers I downloaded from the Google store.
    Yes, I use antivirus and I scan religiously.
    No, I don't download anything I don't know.
    No, I don't sideload anything. (and I find it funny to read BB fanbois here complaining about Android malware when they sideload from Android for their PB and their Z10s, specifically indiividuals who RAILED against WhatsApp who subsequently sideloaded it....truly hilarious.)
    No, I haven't had my phone taken over by anyone or anything.
    Yes, I take precautions because I trust Android safety less than Blackberry so my banking apps are on my BB.
    Yes, I use my SGIII as my primary device and used my Skyrocket before that and will run a Note 3 or an SGIV in the future.

Yes, the sun will come out tomorrow......
    03-09-13 05:06 AM
    It seems this thread has turned into "because malware exists on Android (which not one person on here claims is not true) everyone is infected, everyone is in danger, and no one should use an Android device". Why such extremes? It's also true you can have your car broken into, so we do things such as lock the doors or have an alarm system installed. Does anyone here not own a car because they can be broken into?

It is definitely something people should be aware of and use caution when downloading apps. I have never heard of BetterTwitter. In fact, I just went to the Google Play Store and could not find it. I use Tweetcaster Pro which is one of the top Twitter clients and have never had a problem.

If there are any real malware ridden apps that could possibly be sideloaded by BB10 users, it would be a service to the CB community to list them so they can be avoided.
    randall2580 and MERCDROID like this.
    03-09-13 06:52 AM
    Based on shao's experience you Clearly have to watch out with these android apps
    not really.
    you just have to be careful with RDP apps in general.
    personally i research any RDP apps, Android or Blackberry
    03-09-13 08:12 AM
    BlackBerry was never a major source of virus, attacks and malware even when market share percentage was the highest and other OS's had less users.
    Blackberry market share at it's highests was still a pitiful number of real time users compared to today
    03-09-13 08:13 AM
    all android users i know, wont donload amn app which they havent researched.
    also my gf who is a tech noob will not download any android app which asks for weird permissions.

I know a lot of people who have been on Android for years, and not once have they been infected with Malware.
    The chances are slim to slimmer if you take the correct precautions.

of course if you download any old thing, you will get infected and not even a blackberry will stop that
    MERCDROID likes this.
    03-09-13 08:17 AM
    How about if someone downloads malware from the Play store, where 1 in 10 apps is malware? Do they deserve malware as well?
    Coincidence that the source you quote, TrendMicro sells an Antivirus for Android and is the service BBRY pays to scan Android apps. No conflicts seen there huh?

I have over 100 apps on each of my Android phones means by shear elements of probability I should have run into the boogie man sometime. Hasn't happened.

Here is a very well written article written by Jerry H over at CrackBerry's sister site Android Central - who might just know a thing or two about the subject. Its a good read if you care to know whats really going on with Android - as is their entire site just as this one is - and it pretty much agrees with much of what the Android fangirls and boys have said here so far:

Editorial: On fragmentation, malware, and clicks | Android Central
    MERCDROID likes this.
    03-09-13 09:07 AM
    Coincidence that the source you quote, TrendMicro sells an Antivirus for Android and is the service BBRY pays to scan Android apps. No conflicts seen there huh?

I have over 100 apps on each of my Android phones means by shear elements of probability I should have run into the boogie man sometime. Hasn't happened.

Here is a very well written article written by Jerry H over at CrackBerry's sister site Android Central - who might just know a thing or two about the subject. Its a good read if you care to know whats really going on with Android - as is their entire site just as this one is - and it pretty much agrees with much of what the Android fangirls and boys have said here so far:

Editorial: On fragmentation, malware, and clicks | Android Central
    Well now, that couldn't be fanboys promoting their favorite either could it?

Edit: I'm not saying everyone will be infected as not everyone is on windows but I've removed plenty of nasties off of friends and families computers. I've never had one and I teach my habits to them but they seem to forget or there is just something they want to look or try so for most people they are not as diligent as some on here about habits.

So I asked this before and not sure if anyone ever answered. Are you suggesting that Trend Micro, Norton, McAfee, Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster and on and on companies are the sources of viruses and malware so they can sell their software that wouldn't be needed otherwise?
    03-09-13 09:42 AM
    Blackberry market share at it's highests was still a pitiful number of real time users compared to today
    Its the least vulnerable platform. Are you denying that? Or please advise which platform is less vulnerable?
    03-09-13 10:32 AM
    I would love for someone with experience deploying and/or managing the use of Androids in the enterprise to give a good overview of the device's security features. I think it would be very informative and probably do everyone a lot of good in terms of explaining what actually is a risk and what isn't.

Too many "Android has malware" and "Android is insecure" comments around.
    MERCDROID and bobauckland like this.
    03-09-13 10:36 AM
    Well, if you consider "tens of millions" to be pitiful, I suppose. :-) But yeah, point taken that it's a small number of users compared to the market overall. Globally it peaked this year. Despite the way the media paints it ...
    03-09-13 10:39 AM
    Based on shao's experience you Clearly have to watch out with these android apps
    There Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Lunch.

Anything downloaded from an unknown or untrusted source is a potential threat. We have seen proven cases of similar "hidden functionality" problems hitting iPhone apps, and it is also possible to do the same with BlackBerry apps uploaded to BBWorld. We know some earlier apps for BBOS had extra undeclared functionality (Many will remember spam from JaredCo) and there is nothing to stop someone uploading a similar BB10 app. The only defense is the human user's intelligence.
    03-09-13 11:34 AM
    All I can add is that I have android owning friends whose phones have been compromised in one way or another. I'm never going to own an android device so I've never paid much attention to the details of their travails except when they drop me an email saying, "If you get an email from my old address, don't open it. My phone was hacked. "
    03-09-13 11:35 AM
    Well now, that couldn't be fanboys promoting their favorite either could it?

Edit: I'm not saying everyone will be infected as not everyone is on windows but I've removed plenty of nasties off of friends and families computers. I've never had one and I teach my habits to them but they seem to forget or there is just something they want to look or try so for most people they are not as diligent as some on here about habits.

So I asked this before and not sure if anyone ever answered. Are you suggesting that Trend Micro, Norton, McAfee, Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster and on and on companies are the sources of viruses and malware so they can sell their software that wouldn't be needed otherwise?
    The answer to that question is no, although I have heard/read that there are some who believe that to be true about SOME of the virus software companies, I do not believe that happens because they know well what would happen if it were ever found out and I believe things like that eventually come out.

I do believe that, as Jerry suggests, the over hype to their advantage.
    kbz1960 and reeneebob like this.
    03-09-13 11:38 AM
    Android has the most of everything when comparing to BB's ecosystem, almost
    03-09-13 11:43 AM
    The answer to that question is no, although I have heard/read that there are some who believe that to be true about SOME of the virus software companies, I do not believe that happens because they know well what would happen if it were ever found out and I believe things like that eventually come out.

I do believe that, as Jerry suggests, the over hype to their advantage.
    That could be but there are plenty of free ones, on windows anyway, that do a better job than the paid ones.
    03-09-13 11:46 AM
253 ... 34567 ...