Never have included the droid runtime? Looks like someone had forgotten why it came about in the first place. None of the big name apps developers were willing to bring their apps to BB10. Without the runtime, many users on BlackBerry 10 who claim to be so loyal to it would have left a long time ago whether they admit it or not.

Posted via CB10
    Actually they announced the runtime even before the PlayBook launched and delivered it almost a year after it launched. As soon as they do told devs they would be able to port their Android apps over to the PlayBook easily, guess what they all did? Instead of learning a new programming method to support a new platform natively, they waited for BlackBerry to deliver the easy solution. It also didn't help that in the PlayBook development that they had to scrap the majority of the UI because Adobe backed out of mobile and build Cascades. They should have had Cascades in the PlayBook from the beginning and never had a runtime.

If you tell devs they can support your platform with something they are already doing, then that is what they are going to do. I don't blame them, why take time on something new when your existing work should be able to be posted just fine. But BlackBerry botched things so badly through the PlayBook launch and BB10 launch that developers just got fed up. Chen telling them all finally to develop in Android was the death blow. We see many hardcore BB10 devs back away after that.

So now BlackBerry 10 users have the following choices:

1. Stay with BlackBerry 10 even though Chen seems he11 bent on killing it off and telling devs to f off.

2. Switch to BlackBerry Android, which BlackBerry will likely put as much effort into as they did with Bb10 to make successful (i.e none), and hope Chen doesn't say something stupid yet again to stop sales of that platform.

3. Switch to another vendors Android where you are using a phone where apps are still the second thought compared to iOS. You might be able to buy the experience suite, if they don't tie it to BES.

4. Switch to iOS which owns the Enterprise, is closer to a secure platform than Android, and is first thought/choice by most developers to work on. You might be able to buy the Experience suite if they don't tie it to BES.

Do people really want to trust BlackBerry to stick with Android? Do people not think this is just a way for BlackBerry to kill off Hardware but migrating it's users to another OS but still reliant on a suite? Chen wants to be a software company he just can't do it yet, but when he can he will dump hardware as quick as possible.

Posted via Z30
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-23-15 10:11 AM
    4. Switch to iOS which owns the Enterprise, is closer to a secure platform than Android, and is first thought/choice by most developers to work on. You might be able to buy the Experience suite if they don't tie it to BES.
    How is exactly does Blackberry do this? First, Apple won't license iOS to a third-party because their mobile revenues are in hardware. They trade the ridiculously tight vertical integration and services for the high cost of their software. Always have done and it's a philosophy that was only relaxed when Jobs wasn't head of the company. Second, even if Apple were to allow such a thing, you run into the same problem that Hackintosh enthusiasts do: Apple OSes, whether desktop or mobile, are designed to work on only a very few hardware configurations, and is optimised to use those configurations. It's how they can get away with the substandard-to-middling components in their hardware. It would have to be adapted to BBRY's device hardware, which is an very expensive and time-consuming undertaking, and that's a cost that neither Apple is willing to incur nor BBRY able to shoulder.
    08-23-15 10:34 AM
    How is exactly does Blackberry do this? First, Apple won't license iOS to a third-party because their mobile revenues are in hardware. They trade the ridiculously tight vertical integration and services for the high cost of their software. Always have done and it's a philosophy that was only relaxed when Jobs wasn't head of the company. Second, even if Apple were to allow such a thing, you run into the same problem that Hackintosh enthusiasts do: Apple OSes, whether desktop or mobile, are designed to work on only a very few hardware configurations, and is optimised to use those configurations. It's how they can get away with the substandard-to-middling components in their hardware. It would have to be adapted to BBRY's device hardware, which is an very expensive and time-consuming undertaking, and that's a cost that neither Apple is willing to incur nor BBRY able to shoulder.
    No I'm saying Bb10 users switch to iOS not BlackBerry. BlackBerry experience suite is supposed to be available on iOS, Android and WP.

Posted via Z30
    08-23-15 12:05 PM
    I totally understand where the original poster is coming from. Albeit, I hope said BlackBerry's have an overlay of sorts. I like gestures and BB10...
    08-23-15 12:14 PM
    No I'm saying Bb10 users switch to iOS not BlackBerry. BlackBerry experience suite is supposed to be available on iOS, Android and WP.

Posted via Z30
    Whoops, my mistake. And that's absolutely what I plan on doing, except with a Nexus 6. I used to be a big supporter of Apple but I've grown to dislike them very much.
    08-23-15 12:32 PM
    Whether it's a good or bad decision remains to be seen. But, aside from the occasional comment from the CEO stating BlackBerry is still on course, I really don't see a lot of options for BlackBerry. So, staying the course was not about selling a lot of handsets either. Whatever the strategy, hope it eventually works. We've been using Android apps and runtime since the Z10. I can handle a hybrid.
    08-23-15 05:06 PM
    Yeah.
    I'd buy BlackBerry running ios as well . I want new BlackBerry phone. I am sick of waiting for new BlackBerry all touch screen phone

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 05:23 PM
    Tell me how my passport is more secure than my iPhone 6+? Please.
    There are over 500 vulnerabilities in I0S, and I think like 1 or 2 in BB10.

Flying Spaghetti Monster. SQW-100-4. 10.3.2.2339
    08-25-15 06:31 PM
    First off, I will just say I am not a fan of a slider. I would rather just see 2 devices...Passport for KB enthusiasts and a good touch (something even better than z30) for others who are not. Android would be good for BlackBerry if it brought customers to Blackberry ...and that's a big if. I would say just come out with 2 variants if they are hell bent on doing it......1 BB10 and 1 Android. But nothing has come out of BlackBerry themselves on this. Secondly, governments need BB10...there is nothing out there more secure currently. So, the "end of Blackberry" is not going to be the case anytime soon with global terrorism going on in the world, and companies being hacked. 2 variants would be the hope of bringing some Android users over to Blackberry instead of the other way around. I made the jump to BB10 from Android so it's not all out of the realm of possibility.

Flying Spaghetti Monster. SQW-100-4. 10.3.2.2339
    08-25-15 06:44 PM
    As much as Android probably is a good direction for BlackBerry; I still have a question.

What about a BlackBerry and Android combination would 'convince' consumers to buy BlackBerry?
    09-11-15 06:13 PM
    You people are amazing.
    Still worried about security, bhal bhal bhal....
    How many android user exist in the market now and how many of them are exposed....

BlackBerry needs business if bb10 is failing then they need to think outside of the box otherwise BlackBerry will fall and so as the BlackBerry security.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 04:22 PM
    As much as Android probably is a good direction for BlackBerry; I still have a question.

What about a BlackBerry and Android combination would 'convince' consumers to buy BlackBerry?
    "Convenice" you mean... ? ;-)

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-20-15 04:39 PM
    You people are amazing.
    Still worried about security, bhal bhal bhal....
    How many android user exist in the market now and how many of them are exposed....

BlackBerry needs business if bb10 is failing then they need to think outside of the box otherwise BlackBerry will fall and so as the BlackBerry security.

Posted via CB10

They'll need to make clear this thing is potentially rootable just like any other Samsung used in enterprise out there.

If you're buying Android, that what you're getting, they just need to communicate this fact CLEARLY before it's too late and the media frenzy murders BBRY's business completely ... :-)

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-20-15 04:42 PM
    I'm excited for the android device as well. At this point BlackBerry doesn't have much to lose.

Posted via CB10
    I think its a perfect marketing strategy
    09-20-15 04:50 PM

F**k yeah its going to convenice consumers to buy blackberry. People are going to be like wow this device is so unique and awesome, and will probably look at blackberry's other BB10 models and give those a try.
    09-20-15 04:54 PM
    F**k yeah its going to convenice consumers to buy blackberry. People are going to be like wow this device is so unique and awesome, and will probably look at blackberry's other BB10 models and give those a try.
    And then they'll run into the app problem.
    09-20-15 05:24 PM
    And then they'll run into the app problem.
    Well sometimes, you can't have the best of both worlds
    09-20-15 06:48 PM
167 ... 567