Google will most likely lose the case that Oracle has brought against them, but of course they'll settle out of court.

Oops: Android contains directly copied Java code, strengthening Oracle's case -- Engadget
    01-21-11 11:05 AM
    01-21-11 02:52 PM
    Those bastards.
    01-21-11 02:56 PM
    I read your response article and I have no idea who Ed Burnette is, or who he thinks he is. Expert Programmer? Hardly. As far as it goes, Google has been in various trouble for many different reasons, for many different occasions. I would also like to point out that a few of the companies that are using Android are also on the Hotseat as well.

Even if this Burnette guy believes (his "expert" analysis is not enough to convince me) Google is innocent of any wrong doing, there is still a Legal battle to be fought. And seeing as how one of Google's CEO's was in League with Sun for a while, I am sure there is more to this story.

I'm fairly convinced that if we do read between the lines, there is an infringement of some sort. I'd like for it all to be made public, because there always seems to be a lot swept under the Rug with Google. I firmly stand by what I said Earlier: Google Is Evil.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 05:40 PM
    Looks like the competition, instead of competing, they are making a bloody sport out of what they can sue the other with. Inferiority complex, and it hurts really bad falling off the high horse they used to sit on.
    01-21-11 05:52 PM
    ^^ i honestly think its coming to that with all the companies. They are all suing each other right and left instead of just make a better product. Obviously oracle isnt in the phone industry per say, so i am sure someone that is with RIM, MS apple etc tipped them off to this.
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-21-11 at 06:18 PM.
    01-21-11 05:57 PM
    Maybe the Linux community should sue MS for "ripping" their TCP/IP stack, and porting it into Windows 2000, and beyond.... This is no different than Apple trying to sue Google over petty things
    01-21-11 05:58 PM
    ^^ i honestly think its coming to that with all the companies. They are all suing each other right and left instead of just make a better product. Obviously oracle its in the phone industry per say, so i am sure someone that is with RIM, MS apple etc tipped them off to this.
    Apple is suing Nokia:

Apple Sues Nokia in London Over Touch Scroll Patent | Social Barrel
    01-21-11 06:09 PM
    Everyone is getting sued. These companies like suing more than they like innovating.
    01-21-11 06:43 PM
    Today I actually tried to defend 3 companies from the articles that showed up. first with Apple, then Google andI feel like I should be defending Nokia now. Maybe I'm just not gonna defend any of them, they all have an agenda.
    01-21-11 06:54 PM
    Today I actually tried to defend 3 companies from the articles that showed up. first with Apple, then Google andI feel like I should be defending Nokia now. Maybe I'm just not gonna defend any of them, they all have an agenda.
    ANY way to squeeze more profit. Profits from royalty fees can add up, I suppose why they're trying to get every little piece of litigation possible.
    01-21-11 07:04 PM
    Hey, everybody needs a good tax write-off, it's good business for everyone concerned. It's a good, visible business expense
    01-21-11 07:16 PM
    Maybe the Linux community should sue MS for "ripping" their TCP/IP stack, and porting it into Windows 2000, and beyond.... This is no different than Apple trying to sue Google over petty things
    I think that came from BSD, and I believe the license allowed that sort of use, it is less restrictive than the GPL.
    01-21-11 07:18 PM
    Everyone is getting sued. These companies like suing more than they like innovating.
    True. And what a coincidence. I just saw something on YouTube with a graph of who's suing whom. I'll try to find the link...

EDIT: pics please!!!
    An Explosion of Mobile Patent Lawsuits - NYTimes.com
    Last edited by CASH; 01-21-11 at 08:06 PM.
    01-21-11 07:57 PM
    Hey, suing is the American way after all.
    01-21-11 08:48 PM
    Its sad really, many of these companies are being nothing more than mere patent trolls attempting to stifle the competition, and hurts innovation, or simply just try to litigate as much as possible and get paid.
    01-21-11 10:58 PM
    Too true. My neighbor is suing McDonalds cause he fell down going to the bathroom there... ON NOTHING... He didn't hit water or anything and I is filinf lawsuit for the place being unsafe, and they are working on a settlement now. Its effin ridiculous these days.

01-22-11 12:00 AM
    so let's all just forget about copyrights and intellectual ownership.....some dude comes in and steals something I created and he can use it on the premise of competition...

yah.....let's see how that flies when it's your thesis statement someone swipes and plagiarises as his own....
    CASH likes this.
    01-22-11 05:21 AM
    It's a very big case as almost all the other patent lawsuits are directed at the manufacturers of Android devices. This one is directed at the OS itself. Larry Ellison loves to hammer companies that cross him. He mocks SAP every chance he gets, and they just lost a lawsuit and have to pay $1.5 billion because they purchased a company that violated Java patents and SAP never really used the technology.

If this holds up it's going to be very bad news for Android as they knowingly distibuted copyrighted code and could be facing additional lawsuits from manufacturers that were told Android was an open source OS. This could also be a chance for Meego or Bada to get traction. Or send the manufacturers back towards WinMo. It's better to pay a fee than risk getting sued.

01-22-11 05:39 AM
    Seems some more light is being shed on the subject..and it's not all it's being made out to be..

Copied code not in Android source after all (updated) | Android Central

"To be clear -- these files are not used to build Android, nor are the shipped with Android. To take things a step further, these files were published by Sun on their own website to assist developers to test and debug -- exactly what Google is using them for."
    01-22-11 09:49 AM
    Seems some more light is being shed on the subject..and it's not all it's being made out to be..

"To be clear -- these files are not used to build Android, nor are the shipped with Android. To take things a step further, these files were published by Sun on their own website to assist developers to test and debug -- exactly what Google is using them for."
    So in other words, the Blackberry kool-aid drinkers are running with yet another false story.
    01-22-11 10:08 AM

So in other words, the Blackberry kool-aid drinkers are running with yet another false story.
    Plus One
    01-22-11 10:18 AM
    This could be very expensive for android if the suit goes through. I hope the kool-aid drinking fanbois are prepared. Larry Ellison is on a roll lately.
    01-22-11 10:34 AM
    Go team, these are corporations and as such are at times unscrupulous. Google might have done something wrong here or not. We don't know. I think an emotional and blind defense of them suggests more kool aid consumption than simply bringing the topic up for discussion in a smart phone blog designed for such discussions.
    i7guy, CASH and buwee like this.
    01-22-11 10:49 AM
    Actually..if anything coming from Engadget..it would be the Apple and Winmo kool-aider's jumping all over any negative press for Android.

Last edited by Rickroller; 01-22-11 at 11:25 AM.
    01-22-11 11:09 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD