This is just peer speculation and more of a guess, some facts. Now We all know BlackBerry is atleast testing Android, and possibly bring out an android phone in the next few months BUT people are asking what will make BlackBerry succeed where Sony, HTC, And other have failed. Easy answer is this- BlackBerry is known for what? Security and?????...There KEYBOARD We all know there is still a demand for Keyboards (Facts- typo did well, they even made 2 versions [because of the lawsuit], BlackBerry is still alive because of there keyboards (Mostly, and because of awesome OS), Samsung has noticed this and even created there own keyboard)! BlackBerry just needs the right hardware like on the passport and put it on the Classic and Passport, improve the sensor on it and boom it's done. This will be a good thing for them on Android because even though BB10 is far superior Android is still the most popular OS out there and people prefer it. BlackBerry will have there app gap solved, people will buy it! People like us will stick to bb10 (I may possibly get an android BlackBerry until bb10 has more apps like Snapchat, Netflix, etc). The only hard sell for BlackBerry will be in the Full touchscreen devices, they will need to be spec'd out! Lower prices etc,to compete with Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, Huawei...and more but I believe there keyboard phones will be far better (More successful) than the Full touch. (This is all on Android is what I'm referring to, BlackBerry may actually do really well). What are your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    kbrant64 and Moroianu George like this.
    08-24-15 01:54 AM
    This is just peer speculation and more of a guess, some facts. Now We all know BlackBerry is atleast testing Android, and possibly bring out an android phone in the next few months BUT people are asking what will make BlackBerry succeed where Sony, HTC, And other have failed. Easy answer is this- BlackBerry is known for what? Security and?????...There KEYBOARD We all know there is still a demand for Keyboards (Facts- typo did well, they even made 2 versions [because of the lawsuit], BlackBerry is still alive because of there keyboards (Mostly, and because of awesome OS), Samsung has noticed this and even created there own keyboard)! BlackBerry just needs the right hardware like on the passport and put it on the Classic and Passport, improve the sensor on it and boom it's done. This will be a good thing for them on Android because even though BB10 is far superior Android is still the most popular OS out there and people prefer it. BlackBerry will have there app gap solved, people will buy it! People like us will stick to bb10 (I may possibly get an android BlackBerry until bb10 has more apps like Snapchat, Netflix, etc). The only hard sell for BlackBerry will be in the Full touchscreen devices, they will need to be spec'd out! Lower prices etc,to compete with Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, Huawei...and more but I believe there keyboard phones will be far better (More successful) than the Full touch. (This is all on Android is what I'm referring to, BlackBerry may actually do really well). What are your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I think for keyboard will be depend on the taste of users (consumers). For me, I never like physic QWERTY keyboard, that's why I bought Z10 for give it a test and experience myself about BlackBerry 10. For security yes, it is known the most secure smartphones.
    They need to cut down price like you mentioned, BlackBerry Leap in my region cost as expensive as BlackBerry Z30 price of distributor warranty while the specs are old (like 2011 Android smartphones). Price is still expensive for old specs. Because I was Android users, I more concern for apps, in BlackBerry World I don't find Line, WeChat not update, Facebook BlackBerry is worse than Facebook Android. This makes me think, developers are prefer to develop Android apps in Android OS or have switched to Android.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 02:08 AM
    I have no issues with sensors, there is a sale on BlackBerry phones! Not all love a keyboard like me. We will find out in November how a BlackBerry droid will do! You will know within 24 hours from launch!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    kbrant64 likes this.
    08-24-15 02:12 AM
    I think people maybe more attractive to it

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 12:09 AM
    I think it may do well. At least it may attract a few more people

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 12:25 AM
    If blackberry can pull it off then I think it could take back a chunk of the market, more than being a niche in the market!

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 05:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Did TYPO do well... they ever release any sales info? You ever see an iPhone user with a TYPO?
    If the keyboard is a "must have" technology... whey have so many other vendors left it behind?

Security.... We don't even know if there is ANYTHING different between a BlackBerry running BES and the BlackBerry Experience and a Samsung running BES and the BlackBerry Experience.

To be honest I have hear a number of positive remarks about the Slider for other tech sites.... may do seem to miss their keyboard. And the SLIDER does seem to give the best of both worlds. Just a lot of things have to go right for this to be even a marginal success.
    09-02-15 11:12 AM
    Not sure what happy android users you talk about, but all my friends who use android simply hate their os and would swap for ios if possible. Major reason why they stick with something what they dislike is huge difference in price.
    Many people talk about security but who really care about it with android? Nobody. Price is the only important thing. i OS security? Really joke. Remember stolen celebrities photos from iCloud.  BlackBerry does not suffer from such disasters, maybe because there is no  BlackBerry cloud. In fact we can't even backup whole phone on  BlackBerry server to transfer the data to another device! How is secure e-mail on classic? We are using basic mail servers with security simmilar to desktop pc. That's it. Smtp and imap with ssl (maybe). Some people probably use even pop3 and running unsecure uncrypted protocols. Fine.  BlackBerry messenger is secure, but who really use it? Have you got message from anybody outside  BlackBerry world over bbm in past 3 months? Nope. Whatsup? FB messenger - daily dozens.
    So, we have almost no apps. What is security when we have to install android apps using sideload or unsecure sources to get apps what we daily need. I even cannot get app for controlling company security system made by leading Canadian company (paradox) on a phone made by another Canadian company

Anyway. I think only way to survive would be dual boot - otherwise  BlackBerry will loose the rest of the loyal customers. Android is dead end.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and idhbar like this.
    09-02-15 03:11 PM
    Not sure what happy android users you talk about, but all my friends who use android simply hate their os and would swap for ios if possible. Major reason why they stick with something what they dislike is huge difference in price.
    Many people talk about security but who really care about it with android? Nobody. Price is the only important thing. i OS security? Really joke. Remember stolen celebrities photos from iCloud.  BlackBerry does not suffer from such disasters, maybe because there is no  BlackBerry cloud. In fact we can't even backup whole phone on  BlackBerry server to transfer the data to another device! How is secure e-mail on classic? We are using basic mail servers with security simmilar to desktop pc. That's it. Smtp and imap with ssl (maybe). Some people probably use even pop3 and running unsecure uncrypted protocols. Fine.  BlackBerry messenger is secure, but who really use it? Have you got message from anybody outside  BlackBerry world over bbm in past 3 months? Nope. Whatsup? FB messenger - daily dozens.
    So, we have almost no apps. What is security when we have to install android apps using sideload or unsecure sources to get apps what we daily need. I even cannot get app for controlling company security system made by leading Canadian company (paradox) on a phone made by another Canadian company

Anyway. I think only way to survive would be dual boot - otherwise  BlackBerry will loose the rest of the loyal customers. Android is dead end.

Posted via CB10
    Kinda matches a report I saw today...
    Another reason is the maturity of the European market as evidenced by fewer first-time smartphone buyers, according to Kantar. That type of maturity increases the churn rate, meaning the rate at which existing smartphone buyers switch to a different mobile operating system. And in Europe, that hit Android harder than it did Apple.

"This type of market maturity increases the impact of churn on overall performance as we have seen with Android this time around -- 27 percent of smartphone buyers across Europe left Android for iOS versus 9 percent in the US," Dominic Sunnebo, business unit director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech Europe, said in a press release.

Switching to a different carrier typically occurs less in the US than in Europe. That's because more people in the US are on contract or installment plans, while many of those in Europe are on prepaid plans, which lead to longer replacement cycles.
    Last year Apple won over a large number of people in my family, work and social circles....

I think if Apple would move to 32 GB or 64 GB in their base phone and keep it at the same price as the base phone.... they could win over a few more people. But it looks like that might not happen this year....

I'm ready for an upgrade and I don't want an iPhone... really thinking about a Windows Phone, as I love my Windows Tablet and using OneDrive - like how it works with BB10 also.

But I'm kinda let out of the Face timing the grand kids... so who knows .
    09-02-15 03:24 PM
    BlackBerry has one big hook: text-entry. Not just with physical keyboards either, since the BB10 touch keyboard is the best of its kind as well.

If they can make Android versions of the Passport keyboard drivers that duplicate the experience, it will draw customers for the same reason that BlackBerrys originally attracted a following: excellent messaging.

They may also gain a little traction by promoting themselves as the "professional grade" Android device, though it's hard to see how far this approach will get them.
    09-02-15 03:29 PM
    BlackBerry has one big hook: text-entry. Not just with physical keyboards either, since the BB10 touch keyboard is the best of its kind as well.

If they can make Android versions of the Passport keyboard drivers that duplicate the experience, it will draw customers for the same reason that BlackBerrys originally attracted a following: excellent messaging.

They may also gain a little traction by promoting themselves as the "professional grade" Android device, though it's hard to see how far this approach will get them.
    About as far as it did with their Professional Grade Tablet.....

It all comes down to BlackBerry ability to execute.....

Price, Performance, Marketing, Carrier Support.... If they get things just right and they spend a "some" of that cash hoard... maybe, just maybe they'll sell enough to continue with Android and Hardware. If they release a buggy BlackBerry Experience that burns through the battery, Devices aren't sold in stores, and no visibility to consumers..... It won't matter how good the keyboard is.

In other words we are going to need to see a TOTALLY different BlackBerry than we have seen the last couple of years....
    09-02-15 03:44 PM
    About as far as it did with their Professional Grade Tablet.....

It all comes down to BlackBerry ability to execute.....

Price, Performance, Marketing, Carrier Support.... If they get things just right and they spend a "some" of that cash hoard... maybe, just maybe they'll sell enough to continue with Android and Hardware. If they release a buggy BlackBerry Experience that burns through the battery, Devices aren't sold in stores, and no visibility to consumers..... It won't matter how good the keyboard is.

In other words we are going to need to see a TOTALLY different BlackBerry than we have seen the last couple of years....
    There wasn't actually anything wrong with that "professional grade tablet" marketing angle for the PlayBook. It was the "professional grade" pricing that killed them.

ETA: I think it would work for the phones, so long as the experience is there to back them up. I know (at least anecdotally) there are many users who miss their BlackBerry keyboards and would love to return to them.
    09-02-15 04:09 PM
    There wasn't actually anything wrong with that "professional grade tablet" marketing angle for the PlayBook. It was the "professional grade" pricing that killed them.

ETA: I think it would work for the phones, so long as the experience is there to back them up. I know (at least anecdotally) there are many users who miss their BlackBerry keyboards and would love to return to them.
    Actually this dude that I met yesterday spoke about the rumored Venice device. A BlackBerry with physical keyboard running Android. And he was like mmyeah, could be my next phone. And he hadn't even seen my Passport, he came up with it himself. And today another guy who saw my Passport mentioned it as well. There will be a buzz when it comes and even though it's a hunch, I think it will get a lot of love as both the keyboard and OS are familiar. Fingers crossed..

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-02-15 04:16 PM
    That and the amateur hour software at launch!

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    09-02-15 04:30 PM

I think it was the Ameteur Hour OS they put on the PlayBook that killed it. They launched beta software, no apps, no e-mail or PIM, and killed app development by announcing the Android App Player that didn't show up long after the launch. The price could have been justified with those things addressed. It was a great piece of hardware hobbled by software and ecosystem

Posted via Z30
    09-02-15 06:46 PM
    I think it was the Ameteur Hour OS they put on the PlayBook that killed it. They launched beta software, no apps, no e-mail or PIM, and killed app development by announcing the Android App Player that didn't show up long after the launch. The price could have been justified with those things addressed. It was a great piece of hardware hobbled by software and ecosystem

Posted via Z30
    I bought a Playbook day one. The tablet was definitely 1/2 baked. The lack of that mail program to me was one of the worst offenses but lack of apps was stunning also. I remember my wife saying "why didn't you buy an ipad"? I replied "this will be better and it's more compact". LOL.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    09-12-15 08:36 AM