Yes, but that is a program language, like C, or C++. JDK was open source. If I am not mistaken.

Posted via CB10
    Not open source the way Google "pirated" it. Imo. At least a couple old friends from sun feel the same way. Fwiw. And now, here I am learning my D60... whodathunk? Lol.
    05-26-17 12:20 PM
    Java, if I'm not mistaken, by Sun Microsystems (now Oracle).

Joel
    While the language itself is steered by Sun/Oracle, it's BlackBerry's Java VM on BBOS devices. Regardless, the Java VM was not the same thing as the actual OS of the device.

For more, read the comments here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/black...jung-myeng-lee
    krazyatom likes this.
    05-26-17 12:21 PM
    Maybe it is best that the mods closed this thread since this is the same as the other OS VS OS VS OS threads in the past.
    No, this one is worst. But is a fresh one. And I'm Portuguese, a minority here. So is better close the others old thread's

Posted via CB10
    05-26-17 12:52 PM
    Not open source the way Google "pirated" it. Imo. At least a couple old friends from sun feel the same way. Fwiw. And now, here I am learning my D60... whodathunk? Lol.
    All more of the reason not making bb10 open source.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-17 12:52 PM
    Hey nobody mentioned the hypervisor yet.
    05-26-17 12:53 PM
    Why either/or? Why not all?? Just because my Porsche won't haul a ton of equipment like my F350 does, doesn't make my Porsche worthless. In fact, I drive my Porsche 90% of days. Its compact form makes it most comfortable to use and park. Different tool optimized for a different job.

Best examples of BBOS, BB10 and Android beckon from my desk. I alternate between them all, depending on task requirements. Just because my 9900 won't play a ton of movies like my D60 does, doesn't make my 9900 worthless. In fact, I carry my 9900 90% of days. Its compact form makes it most comfortable to use and carry. Different tool optimized for a different job.

All or nothing absolutism is always, absolutely, least efficient. Absolutely. Lol.
    I would agree that optimised tools for different jobs probably offer the best usage experience. But not everyone can afford to have both a Ford truck and Porsche. Or to buy and or even want to carry multiple phones.
    05-27-17 08:47 AM
    I would agree that optimised tools for different jobs probably offer the best usage experience. But not everyone can afford to have both a Ford truck and Porsche. Or to buy and or even want to carry multiple phones.
    Agreed. Not everyone can afford optimal efficiency. I, myself, certainly don't WANT to carry a single phone. Let alone multiple. My tools are not toys. Returns on efficiency are how i justify the investment to begin with.

BUT no two users' situations are identical. One size never really fits all. Which is why all any of us can do is relate our experiences and RESPECT individual choices.

If affordability is a priority criteria, i'd have to say that BIS 9930 is still the cheapest solution on MY monthly VZW bill. BIS saves far, far more on data consumption than bis fees cost. How would carriers gouge us on data overages if everyone were still on bis? Lol.
    anon(9721108) and BigBadWulf like this.
    05-27-17 10:19 AM
    Agreed. Not everyone can afford optimal efficiency. I, myself, certainly don't WANT to carry a single phone. Let alone multiple. My tools are not toys. Returns on efficiency are how i justify the investment to begin with.

BUT no two users' situations are identical. One size never really fits all. Which is why all any of us can do is relate our experiences and RESPECT individual choices.

If affordability is a priority criteria, i'd have to say that BIS 9930 is still the cheapest solution on MY monthly VZW bill. BIS saves far, far more on data consumption than bis fees cost. How would carriers gouge us on data overages if everyone were still on bis? Lol.
    You make me miss my curve! If I could I'd definitely buy a 9900/9930 with bis and flaunt it as my daily driver!

Posted via CB10
    06-02-17 02:28 PM
    In my opinion the BlackBerry KeyOne is the best BlackBerry made since the Bold 99. I was fortunate enough to be able to own the BlackBerry PlayBook, all of the Dev Alpha devices, Z10s, a Q10 and a Classic at no cost to me (I've never paid money for a QNX based BlackBerry device), but none of them were able to replace a Android device as my primary phone. It got to the point where I told my BlackBerry contact that I didn't want a Z30 or Passport.

BB10 was just too generic for me. It was the copycat OS. They stole the UI from MeeGo OS, tried desperately to steal the apps from Android and too many good features from BBOS never made it to BB10.

Even when it was free, a BB10 device wasn't worth using for me.

The latest BlackBerry however is well worth the purchase price. The keyone is a great combination of BlackBerry's old features and Android and the design is just beautiful. I think they are on the right track now.
    06-02-17 08:33 PM

BB10 was just too generic for me. It was the copycat OS. They stole the UI from MeeGo OS, tried desperately to steal the apps from Android and too many good features from BBOS never made it to BB10.
    They stole???
    What about Apple stole the Nokia symbian apps all idea?
    Or Apple Stole android some functios...
    Bb10 is simply the more fluid, Quick and stable OS
    And I also like the k1, but will stay with passport

Posted via CB10
    06-03-17 12:50 AM
    They stole???
    What about Apple stole the Nokia symbian apps all idea?
    Or Apple Stole android some functios...
    Bb10 is simply the more fluid, Quick and stable OS
    And I also like the k1, but will stay with passport

Posted via CB10
    They stole the UI from MeeGo. Anyone with two eyeballs can see that. I fondly remember a lot of posts here claiming that MeeGo had copied BB10. It was a reoccurring theme back when the Z10 first launched. Posters were spitting mad that someone had copied BlackBerry until they learned that the so called copy-cat was actually years older than BB10.

Everyone borrows from others, but both the QNX based BlackBerry operating systems took the idea of borrowing to a new extreme when it came to the UI.
    06-03-17 06:42 AM
    [QUOTE=johnsliderbb;12889611

Busy people doing business as in doing emails like on a desktop while travelling are better of with a Classic BB10 than with a Priv Android. Both software wise and PKB wise. Looking forward to see whether KEYone changes this.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Based on my experiences with the BlackBerry KEYone this week and comparing it to the smartphones of BlackBerry (Research In Motion) of yesteryear I can affirm the BlackBerry KEYone is designed to be a communication machine. It reminds me of the glory days of the iconic BlackBerry Bold series.
    Witmen likes this.
    06-03-17 10:51 AM
    Really, when it gets down to it, I find the whole "battle of OSes" exhaustingly irrelevant. MY brain is flexible enuff to work with just about ANY OS. My hand, on the other hand (pun intended), doesn't grasp an OS. My hand must touch, grasp and interact with handset HARDWARE!!! Well before interacting with OS of any kind! My hand is, in practice, FAR less flexible than my brain is. If hand finds hardware uncomfortable, brain won't be happy with ANY OS. Imo.

I can wrap my brain around ANYthing. My hand, on the other hand, suffers fixed physical limitations. No amount of OS-GUI "updating" can make the far key column on my oversized Classic easier to reach, for example.

In contrast a single thumb can fully, and COMFORTABLY, operate my comfortably sized 9900. OS platforms are pretty irrelevant to that hardware reality. Imo. Fwiw.
    06-03-17 12:49 PM
    Really, when it gets down to it, I find the whole "battle of OSes" exhaustingly irrelevant. MY brain is flexible enuff to work with just about ANY OS. My hand, on the other hand (pun intended), doesn't grasp an OS. My hand must touch, grasp and interact with handset HARDWARE!!! Well before interacting with OS of any kind! My hand is, in practice, FAR less flexible than my brain is. If hand finds hardware uncomfortable, brain won't be happy with ANY OS. Imo.

I can wrap my brain around ANYthing. My hand, on the other hand, suffers fixed physical limitations. No amount of OS-GUI "updating" can make the far key column on my oversized Classic easier to reach, for example.

In contrast a single thumb can fully, and COMFORTABLY, operate my comfortably sized 9900. OS platforms are pretty irrelevant to that hardware reality. Imo. Fwiw.
    Love this posting! Never thought of it this way before but it makes so much sense to me!
    D BB and anon(9721108) like this.
    06-03-17 01:16 PM
64 123