It seems more and more clear that developers, and companies have decided to only develop for two platforms, IOS and DROID. I think platforms like blackberry are realizing they are fighting a losing battle trying to get people to develop native apps. I wish we had native apps, but the ability to sideload android apps is a good stop gap and possibly a long term solution. If it is a long term solution I hope they strike a deal with google to allow some sort of google service integration which would allow for a cleaner implementation such as proper notifications into the hub and ability to change permissions like we can on native apps. I'd like to also say that it'sa shame that there is this duopoly and it seems as though people are making any excuse they can to not develop for bb eg, netflix with thier ridiculous comments that blackberry is only a business devie and they don't have enough users, yahoo ceo just outright banning the device, shazam stating they are late to the game and therefore we can't develop an app . jsut goes on an on...

that is all....
    02-20-14 03:43 PM
    Yup, it's sad, really. Personally I'm waiting for native apps for some things, like banking.
    Seems like I'll be waiting quite a long while.
    02-21-14 07:45 AM
    I'm not sure I agree it's a duopoly. Where I work we have just started on our first Windows Phone native app. We watch the numbers closely and WP is showing strong growth, particularly in certain markets we serve.

It's not about "excuses", it's about numbers and trends. If and when people see BB10 growing, companies will support it. I know that does present sort of a chicken and egg problem, but Microsoft is pulling it off. WP8 is outselling iOS now in some markets!

Meanwhile somehow BB10 can't even outsell BB7.

I have faith in Chen, though, I think he'll turn this around. However, there is still the possibility that BB10 becomes primarily an enterprise tool. If that happens, that would make it hard to justify some of the banking apps, for example.
    02-21-14 07:55 AM
    I don't know. Each platform gets its niche. I chat with 120 developers over 5 BBM chats everyday who only build on blackberry.

I think out of all 120 I'm the only one cross platform. And I'm barely touching windows (it has my lowest sales per app average so gets least effort).

Give the culture another year. We are starting to get cool and amazing apps that are bbry only.

Posted via CB from my LE
    02-21-14 08:07 AM
    I agree it's stupid like I don't know much about app developing but how hard can it honestly be? (if it's really hard forgive my ignorance). Don't these companies realize they're making their product crap by not putting in a good amount of effort.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 09:25 AM
    Just my 2 cents; I get the impression that there is a sense of entitlement with some when it comes to apps on BB devices, that it should be mandatory for developers to create an app for BB devices,just because they exist, which hardly seems fair seeing that developers need to make a living and will look to make money where the money is. If it's not worth developing for Blackberry currently, then they simply won't do it until it actually becomes a viable source of profit.
    02-21-14 09:50 AM
    I agree it's stupid like I don't know much about app developing but how hard can it honestly be? (if it's really hard forgive my ignorance). Don't these companies realize they're making their product crap by not putting in a good amount of effort.

Posted via CB10
    It's relatively easy to crank out crap. But to create something that is truly useful, feature-rich, intuitive and problem-free takes a good bit of effort.
    02-21-14 09:54 AM
    Just my 2 cents; I get the impression that there is a sense of entitlement with some when it comes to apps on BB devices, that it should be mandatory for developers to create an app for BB devices,just because they exist, which hardly seems fair seeing that developers need to make a living and will look to make money where the money is. If it's not worth developing for Blackberry currently, then they simply won't do it until it actually becomes a viable source of profit.
    I think it's more wishing that apps were there and frustration that they aren't than a sense of entitlement. To reference an earlier post here, we're just on the wrong end of the chicken-and-egg argument right now.
    02-21-14 09:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    There's a lot of efforts required to write a good app. And it's disheartening to write a good app and ended up no one buying it. It's not easy.
    02-21-14 01:33 PM
    I think in these discussions, we have to remember there is a huge difference between independent developers trying to make $ selling apps versus banks or other big companies making free apps for customer use. Totally different economics, very different incentives.

Just looking at banks, there are significant long term costs to deciding to build in support for a new platform. And since banks don't sell apps, it's actually better if customers just settled on 2, maybe 3 operating systems. Supporting 4 or 5 operating systems is not optimal. Right now, BB10 is at best the 5th most popular OS out there.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    02-21-14 01:55 PM