I have the Moto X and a Z30. The Z30 is my preference due to the keyboard, hub for my three email accounts and the battery life is quite a bit better. Having said that, the Moto X is no slouch. If the Z30 didn't exist the X would fill the bill rather nicely and to my way of thinking this plus the apps issue is the huge hill BlackBerry must climb.
    My wife will replace her Nokia 920 with another Windows platform phone as she preferred it over a Z10 I had her try out over a three week period.

Posted via CB 10 on Z30
    02-26-14 09:08 PM
    I have a GS3 with stock 4.3, and there is very noticeable slowing down. For example, when I take a screenshot, it takes a second for the image to be ready for processing (main thing I do is menu>crop, and it's not through a third party app) when previously on 4.2.2 and before, it used to come up and be ready instantaneously. Calls logs (through the native dialer) also have a horrible display time, ever since I got the phone, and 4.3 has done nothing towards fixing that.

Unless by "Android phones" you meant Nexus phones only, which is a very narrow definition of Android some people like to selectively use around here, often just to deflect criticism of the platform.
    Stock? No touchwiz?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-27-14 02:42 AM
    Stock? No touchwiz?
    Stock for a GS3, so with TouchWiz. Plain old OTA.
    02-27-14 08:39 AM
    Android OS is junk. I have owned ios. Android and currently on bb10. BlackBerry's new operating system is lightyears ahead of jellybean and bb10 is only a year old. I've read many times that blackberry made a huge mistake going with bb10 over android and I must strongly disagree.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 09:13 AM
    Android OS is junk. I have owned ios. Android and currently on bb10. BlackBerry's new operating system is lightyears ahead of jellybean and bb10 is only a year old. I've read many times that blackberry made a huge mistake going with bb10 over android and I must strongly disagree.

Posted via CB10
    This thread is talking about kitkat.
    But thanks for sharing your opinion

TgeekB and anon(257429) like this.
    02-27-14 11:00 AM
    ART is a developers option so still has some rough edges, it is faster than Davlik however some apps do not play well with it. Will probably go into the next OS version after Lollipop sometime in 2015.
    I've had ART on my Nexus 5 for a while now with no problems at all. That doesn't mean there couldn't be some apps out there that could have problems.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-27-14 03:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Jellybean? LOL. How about KitKat?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-27-14 03:57 PM
    I've had ART on my Nexus 5 for a while now with no problems at all. That doesn't mean there couldn't be some apps out there that could have problems.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    For many it works fine but the Playstore is vast, it will take time for developers to catch up. Changing the runtime is a big change so I don't expect Google to switch in the next OS version after it was introduced for devs.
    02-27-14 06:00 PM
    The last time I force-closed an app on my Nexus 4 was back in July, about 8 months ago. It's VERY rare for me.

Also, $2.99 will get you SwiftKey, which is what the BB10 keyboard is built on top of, and licensed from.
    My Note 3 keyboard (also built on SwiftKey, with Flow) is kind of amazing.

Soft keyboards aren't really worth concern especially on android since they can be swapped out. The BB10 keyboard doesn't even have emoji.

The Google keyboard is good though.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    02-28-14 02:43 AM
    Stock for a GS3, so with TouchWiz. Plain old OTA.
    I had the S3. It was swift. Not sure what the issue with yours was. TouchWiz actually used less ram than Sense 4.x and 5.0 so I'm not buying the bloat excuse. Existence of code and features does not mean they are all loaded in ram at all times.

Complaints about TW are largely vestigial imo, except for the storage it takes up.

On the flip side. If you install all Google and Samsung apps on a 32 GB Note 3, you still end up with more space left over than a 32 GB iPhone 5S with all of Apple's first-party apps installed.

This is including all the amazon and Verizon bloat pre-installed by the way, which I have disabled.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    02-28-14 02:53 AM
    For many it works fine but the Playstore is vast, it will take time for developers to catch up. Changing the runtime is a big change so I don't expect Google to switch in the next OS version after it was introduced for devs.
    I'm sure that's true, but its not as widespread as I thought it would be before I changed. I have been pleasantly surprised.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-28-14 03:18 PM
    I really want to understand where android runtime is headed... I mean if ART is not possible.. what about 4.4.2 or maybe making it more smooth by enhancements only?
    as of now, I feel apps open a little slow..(1 sec or so..with a white screen) and some times aren't smooth especially in apps where we can pay bills or buy something..
    Keyboard isn't as smooth as it is on native..
    No headless support...
    and seems to be hard at battery..(just an observation)
    Also the biggest thing... I CANT SHARE CONTENT FROM PORTS TO NATIVE.. I mean it is just so important..(any idea if this can be implemented) - maybe Omnitech, Lengend...Sir... etc people can make us understand..
    03-02-14 11:19 PM
    I really love android and have owned every update since release via various brands, samsung, LG, Motorola etc...

But what I really hate I'd the whole product pushing!

My first issue and it was totally my fault but still was the very first time I set up my phone and Picasa decided to publish all my private photos, I know I gave it approval somewhere! Lool

Then comes Google circles, I hate circles I like squares! I've been avoiding facebook since launch, and suddenly I receive emails that X y n z have joined me in circles! Yaaaay am soo happy! Again my mistake u see I've set up so many phones, ive become one of those guys that just press next! Do not press next!!!

I love android and I sport a Sony along my Q10 , I have a Gmail set up just for the phone, I use it for games music and stuff, it's water proof dust proof scratch proof and has an app for anything u can think off! U gotta love it! But u can't trust it!

Q10 Powered by 10.2.1.1925
    03-02-14 11:32 PM
    All that said, we are comparing KitKat, the latest version of Android that runs maybe NOT BETTER than one of the firsts versions of BlackBerry 10...

This makes me even more confident than BBTen is a winner...
    03-10-14 03:04 PM
    yes, you do have to be careful with kitkat (or any android) as "give us all your info" is ALWAYS enabled by default - it's like having a periscope inserted in an unwelcome place. I got around it by not creating a gmail account (don't really need a 4th email) which also got me out of the Google+ out of body experience as far as privacy is concerned. My biggest dislike with all new smartphones is how greedy app permissions are, especially android. Many times the apps demand excessive permissions by default for tasks they have no business being involved in. Give them permission or don't install is the name of the game. BB is a bit better on that with native apps. I tend to email developers once in awhile with "gee, I would have bought your app but your permissions requirements are ridiculous and invasive". If more folks did that they would stop copying sloppy permission coding into their apps and actually write for what they need. Pure greed and laziness in my book.
    03-10-14 03:30 PM
    All that said, we are comparing KitKat, the latest version of Android that runs maybe NOT BETTER than one of the firsts versions of BlackBerry 10...

I don't think that is true all. Just my opinion though.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-10-14 03:31 PM
    People really need to give up this whole privacy crap. Give it a rest. You have none. ...

You don't have any privacy. You don't You
    First off thanks to OP for a detailed and balanced review of his opinion between two devices/OS'.

1magine, speak for yourself please. Your blanket disregard and misrepresentation of what's left for personal privacy is quite irresponsible and unfortunate. I certainly hope nobody listens to you that actually cares or should care about their own privacy rights and to proactively fight for it.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    03-10-14 03:55 PM

Perspective is everything. I spoke to someone a few weeks back that said BBOS runs smoother than anything on the market now.
    03-10-14 04:07 PM
    Perspective is everything. I spoke to someone a few weeks back that said BBOS runs smoother than anything on the market now.
    Ahh, perspective. That's a real thing? Lol.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Tre Lawrence and 3Dee like this.
    03-10-14 04:18 PM
    My wife left T-mo today and I took over her z10... love it.

We went to verizon to look for a new phone for her. We looked at the z30...not as big as I expected it to be, but I like the size of the Z a lot better. We moved to the android phones... OMG. So confusing. I cant tell the difference between apps, working apps, widgets, or home screens. Everything is all together on a new page. So frustrating. Then we move to the windows phones. The Nokia 9xx. I like it, because I liked the Zune, and could't afford one when they were popular, I've always wanted something like it. So the salesperson shows us the Nokia Icon. Its pretty awesome. I almost would trade the z10 for that phone, but the way BB10 just flows, and works, it's awesome. So then my wife actually said "well... i could just get the new blackberry..." she ended up with the Nokia. I'm glad she did, because the camera is AMAZING!

Moral of the story..I can't see how anybody can operate the android OS.
    03-10-14 07:34 PM
    You can't tell the difference between apps and widgets? That's unfortunate.

But choice is good.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-10-14 08:02 PM
    Yes it is indeed. Horrid looking OS..
    03-10-14 08:34 PM
    Yes it is indeed. Horrid looking OS..
    LOL. Indeed. I'm sure anyone who couldn't tell the difference between a home page, widget and app would find it horrid too.

Thankfully, we have its apps. Choice, as I noted, is good.
    03-10-14 09:26 PM
    Haha that's gotta be the first time I've heard that. Wow lol

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-10-14 10:00 PM
    My wife left T-mo today and I took over her z10... love it.

We went to verizon to look for a new phone for her. We looked at the z30...not as big as I expected it to be, but I like the size of the Z a lot better. We moved to the android phones... OMG. So confusing. I cant tell the difference between apps, working apps, widgets, or home screens. Everything is all together on a new page. So frustrating. Then we move to the windows phones. The Nokia 9xx. I like it, because I liked the Zune, and could't afford one when they were popular, I've always wanted something like it. So the salesperson shows us the Nokia Icon. Its pretty awesome. I almost would trade the z10 for that phone, but the way BB10 just flows, and works, it's awesome. So then my wife actually said "well... i could just get the new blackberry..." she ended up with the Nokia. I'm glad she did, because the camera is AMAZING!

Moral of the story..I can't see how anybody can operate the android OS.
    I find android quite easy to operate now. The result of the customisation is that the os looks exactly how you want it to look.
    I can see why other features would appeal but when it comes to looks Android is literally what you make it.
    It's been over a month now and i'm still missing the blackberry keyboard most of all.
    I am looking forward to what blackberry will come up with next though

pantlesspenguin and 3Dee like this.
    03-11-14 08:38 PM
146 ... 3456