It doesn't look like RIM has made any announcements that have impressed the investors. Stock is down almost 3%.

RIM shares fall on lack of news about OS, browser - MarketWatch
    04-26-10 12:30 PM
    WES does not start until tomorrow. Not sure what announcements anyone's expecting today.
    04-26-10 12:34 PM
    Slider and Jitterberry announced tomorrow... Stock down 5%.
    04-26-10 12:39 PM
    Its funny because I bet everyone of those analysts would only use a blackberry right now there saying how boring then tonight at the bar there saying I got to get me one of those 9650!
    04-26-10 12:39 PM
    This just in, analysts are stupid.
    04-26-10 12:41 PM
    Slider and Jitterberry announced tomorrow... Stock down 5%.
    Great...you let the cat out of the bag. Those were supposed to be RIM's WOWing moments tomorrow. Way to go.
    04-26-10 02:57 PM
    UPDATE! Analyst were shown a presentation of the new 6 os and they were loving it the stock even rebounded I wonder why Kevin hasn't mentioned it yet
    04-26-10 03:14 PM
    Update: People still don't respect analysts. Analysts analyzing peoples feedback. Will keep posted via their BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 04:05 PM
    Update: People still don't respect analysts. Analysts analyzing peoples feedback. Will keep posted via their BlackBerry.

Good one. As they talk a whole bunch of stuff via vlingo. LOL
    04-26-10 04:08 PM
    I'm not impressed either. A successor to the Tour and the Pearl that don't do anything really huge that the 9700 doesn't already do. I love the BlackBerry line, but it's not going to jump off the page like some of the stuff coming out from HTC, Apple, Dell, etc.

If RIM thought that the two devices they released today were going to change things drastically, they've lost it. They've got business users locked down, that's for sure, but they're going to lose consumers if they keep releasing devices that are nominal upgrades over their predecessors. That goes for the OS and the hardware.

I watched a 20 minute review of the HTC Incredible today and was blown away by how cutting edge it is. It blows the doors off the Eris and Droid in both hardware and software. When has RIM ever made such a drastic leap?

04-26-10 04:32 PM
    I watched a 20 minute review of the HTC Incredible today and was blown away by how cutting edge it is. It blows the doors off the Eris and Droid in both hardware and software. When has RIM ever made such a drastic leap?

Drastic leaps can hurt you a lot.

So far BB's have been immune to viruses/worms and other drastic bugs whereby a simple text message can potentially open you up to attack. From that point of view RIM is doing great work.
    04-26-10 04:48 PM
    ...and the Pearl that don't do anything really huge that the 9700 doesn't already do.
    Except in a smaller form factor and at a lower price. That's actually a big deal for a lot of us that have been waiting for the 9100 for about the last 6 months.

Don't dismiss it so out-of-hand.

04-26-10 05:08 PM
    So far BB's have been immune to viruses/worms and other drastic bugs whereby a simple text message can potentially open you up to attack. From that point of view RIM is doing great work.
    Name ONE REAL WORLD event of a virus/worm on any phone thats stock (NOT jailbroken/rooted which knowingly sidesteps security in the OS). NONE

Moot. Come back when it actually happens, paranoia isnt an excuse to stifle innovation.
    04-26-10 05:13 PM
    I'm not impressed either. A successor to the Tour and the Pearl that don't do anything really huge that the 9700 doesn't already do. I love the BlackBerry line, but it's not going to jump off the page like some of the stuff coming out from HTC, Apple, Dell, etc.

If RIM thought that the two devices they released today were going to change things drastically, they've lost it. They've got business users locked down, that's for sure, but they're going to lose consumers if they keep releasing devices that are nominal upgrades over their predecessors. That goes for the OS and the hardware.

The 9100 is a massive upgrade over the 8100. I'm also curious as to what you consider to be so innovative in the Incredible other than good specs and screen.

04-26-10 05:20 PM
    The 9100 is a massive upgrade over the 8100. I'm also curious as to what you consider to be so innovative in the Incredible other than good specs and screen.

Did you not see the new version of Sense?
    04-26-10 06:54 PM
    Ooh. Shiny.

04-26-10 08:08 PM
    3G on a Pearl jumps out at me. 256MB jumps out at me. My 8120 is not so smart now!
    512 MB on 9650 jumps out at me ! twice what my wife's 9700 has!
    Please let TMOBILE get something in this ballpark. Could we hope for a memory boost in the 9700 if not?
    04-26-10 08:26 PM
    It doesn't look like RIM has made any announcements that have impressed the investors. Stock is down almost 3%.

RIM shares fall on lack of news about OS, browser - MarketWatch
    I'm quite the active participant in the stock market and my experience tells me that, given that there are millions of trades taking place in any one given moment of time, it is hard to pinpoint a cause when the fluctuation is a mere few percentage points.

3 out of 4 stocks follow the general market; a given stock may go up or down simply because the Dow Jones or S&P is swinging wildly one way or the other.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what millions of nuerotic, irrational investors are doing.
    04-27-10 07:47 AM
    I agree. Another odd proven characteristic of the market is that a stock often goes up after bad news and down following good news about the company.
    04-27-10 08:08 AM
    well RIM is up now... OS 6.0 just revealed...
    04-27-10 09:10 AM
    6.0 and I can't even get a stable Sprint OFFICIAL version of 5.0.
    04-27-10 09:15 AM
    I agree. Another odd proven characteristic of the market is that a stock often goes up after bad news and down following good news about the company.
    That depends. If a stock had a run up in anticipation of good news or no news and just ran up with the market and/or sector, and comes out with bad news it's doubtful that it will go up after that. But if a stock is beaten up then comes out with bad news, it could rally from there depending on lots of factors. If the news is bad, but not as bad as expected, it could run, or if the bad news has already been factored in, it could run, not to mention short squeezes, etc. There are no rules however written in stone what stocks will do in reaction to news. Depends on tons of factors.
    04-27-10 09:31 AM
    ummm yeah, about that
    BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion which had tumbled earlier, fought back to surge 3.2% after Mike Lazaridis, founder and co-chief executive of RIM, presented a new operating system at an analyst meeting.
    04-27-10 09:31 AM

You're comparing apples and oranges with the 81xx and 91xx. The 81xx series was first released in September of 2006, and the 91xx is going to be released next month. Over the course of two and half years, I would hope it was a massive upgrade over a phone that's closing in on three years old.

To answer your second point, yes, I find the specs and screen on the Incredible to be rather innovative. You seem to find the 91xx (which is the same form factor of the old phone, with a nicer screen, trackpad, and boosted specs) to be a "massive upgrade. Yet I'm wrong for saying that a phone that introduces an upgraded Sense UI - which was impressive to begin with (same goes for Motoblur on the Moto Droids) - is "innovative?"

The bottom line is that if you sit down and watch the reviews for the Incredible, and the previews for the upcoming HTC EVO, you'd see that BlackBerry is falling way behind in the interface and the spec department. Other than those two things, the only point people have left is security, and possibly push e-mail.

Ooh. Shiny.

Someone makes a valid point, you don't have a counter, so you resort to sarcasm. Don't get me wrong, I love my Storm 9550 and Tour 9630 A LOT, but I'd be lying if I said I think RIM is keeping up with the Android and Apple interface in both appeal (looks) and features. If they got Android devices running perfect push e-mail like BlackBerry tomorrow, there wouldn't be much left for RIM to point to as an advantage.
    04-27-10 01:19 PM
    You're comparing apples and oranges with the 81xx and 91xx. The 81xx series was first released in September of 2006, and the 91xx is going to be released next month. Over the course of two and half years, I would hope it was a massive upgrade over a phone that's closing in on three years old.
    That's over the course of three and a half years, and the 81xx series is closing in on four years old.

Presumably, RIM is saving the best for last this year -- getting the dumb clamshell, the Pearl on steroids, and the CDMA-9700 9650 out first before coming out with the 9800 and the Dakota.
    04-27-10 01:36 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD