08-16-11 08:28 AM
62 123
tools
    Well allot of BB7 devices will launch in November and December, so maybe they're confusing the 2. Or maybe they're referring to the QNX playbook with Native e-mail?

Listen, don't rush RIM. It's only August and look how well all the 2011 HHs have been doing. Oh, yeah, nevermind.
    08-09-11 10:38 AM
    ...Listen, don't rush RIM. It's only August and look how well all the 2011 HHs have been doing...
    About as well as the 2011 iPhone?
    01itr likes this.
    08-09-11 11:42 AM
    I hope RIM gets these out without a delay. I am excited to see QNX on a smartphone.
    08-09-11 11:43 AM
    First - I'm an Apple fan at all. I refuse to have I-tunes or a Mac.

That said, Apple releases their devices on a very set once a year annual schedule, and can do so because the hardware and software are typically at the leading edge of what is currently available. This is why the IP4 is the best selling, highest grossing smartphone of all time.

And while Mac does not sell anywhere near PCs and the Ipad sells well, they're not propping up Apple. The I-phone business has made Apple the powerhouse it is. Just look at COH, Patent Portfolio and Shareprice. It is silly to compare the IP4 with the current crop of BBs from a sales perspective only. Preferences is not an issue here. In fact, Apple is not an issue here. The OP is about RIM's release of 2011 hhs.
    08-09-11 11:54 AM
    BBOS always makes me feel like I'm part of RIM's beta-testing team - OS releases have no change log, some things get broken and others get fixed... unbelievable. The latest "stable" OS version for my 9780 is still borked in some areas, and I've to bear with the inconveniences until the next release fixes it up. FYI Wi-Fi music sync has been a PITA to handle ever since it came out, and it's a total POS imo. I never got it to work on my 9780. This won't change in BBOS7 and I can't wait for QNX to come out. Hopefully things will be better then.
    08-10-11 10:11 AM
    About as well as the 2011 iPhone?
    RIM has never had a product as successful as the 2010 iPhone, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    08-10-11 11:26 AM
    RIM has never had a product as successful as the 2010 iPhone, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    Fallacy: Straw Man

No one is talking about that. He was simply stating that the 2011 iPhone is not out yet, even though iPhones are generally released at the same time each year.
    Last edited by 01itr; 08-10-11 at 11:52 AM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    08-10-11 11:41 AM
    i got a few things to say on all of this.

firstly as annoying as rumors are they drive the market and gives us something to look forward to. yes id rather have fact than rumor but most of the time that is not possible.

secondly rim's standing in the stock market is like everything else as that its up to the public how it does. ive said this before in other posts but the stock market is, in part, based on how people persieve the company we all just have to have faith in RIM and they will come back.

third and lastly the QNX-SuperPhone that is coming out.... whenever it does LOL... should, hopefully bring back all the lost BB users that have gone over to the darksides of the SmartPhone world. RIM just needs to look at the market now and see what the big sellers have in them and do that. a duelcore, front camera, 8megapixel camera, screen resolution to rival apple's retina disply just to name a few.
    08-10-11 03:16 PM
    ... RIM just needs to look at the market now and see what the big sellers have in them and do that. a duelcore, front camera, 8megapixel camera, screen resolution to rival apple's retina disply just to name a few.
    ... I agree, but why not beat the competitions current market offering hands down instead of matching the current specs? For the touch screen (I see you have a 9550... "oh joy"... me too), why not a 5 inch diagonal screen in a 16:9 format? ( 2.45 inches wide, practically the same width as our 9550s), Why not dual core? Why not 1080p capabilities with a micro-HDMI output? Why not an obnoxiously large amount of internal memory? Why not an auto-focus camera with flash? Why not the best battery life available? Who really cares, within reason, about the "slimness" of the device? Fricken' beef it up and fit in the features! Blackberry should be trying to regain "best in class" across the board on features, instead of running around whimpering "Me too! Me too!" on device specs... Do the right thing RIM, you are better than this...
    08-10-11 04:41 PM
    ... I agree, but why not beat the competitions current market offering hands down instead of matching the current specs? For the touch screen (I see you have a 9550... "oh joy"... me too), why not a 5 inch diagonal screen in a 16:9 format? ( 2.45 inches wide, practically the same width as our 9550s), Why not dual core? Why not 1080p capabilities with a micro-HDMI output? Why not an obnoxiously large amount of internal memory? Why not an auto-focus camera with flash? Why not the best battery life available? Who really cares, within reason, about the "slimness" of the device? Fricken' beef it up and fit in the features! Blackberry should be trying to regain "best in class" across the board on features, instead of running around whimpering "Me too! Me too!" on device specs... Do the right thing RIM, you are better than this...
    RIM won't do that because Mike L. and Jim B. thinks you don't need all these specs. They come up with a phone and tells you this is all you'll need. Sounds familiar? Maybe they were trying to take a leaf out of SJ's book. Who can forget that Mike L. once said there'll never be a camera or an MP3 player on a BlackBerry?
    08-10-11 11:00 PM
    RIM won't do that because Mike L. and Jim B. thinks you don't need all these specs. They come up with a phone and tells you this is all you'll need. Sounds familiar? Maybe they were trying to take a leaf out of SJ's book. Who can forget that Mike L. once said there'll never be a camera or an MP3 player on a BlackBerry?

I forgot, could you post the statement from Mike Lazaridis? Because all you'll find is BGR's claim. Nice how you've taken his fabricated stories and made them reality in your mind.
    01itr and Jake Storm like this.
    08-11-11 08:22 AM
    With the QNX-SuperPhones they do have to be a step up of the current models but for the BARE BASICS they have to have at least what the competition has now or they will be totally lost in the arms race that is the cell phone market. its not what the CEOs think they need, we are the public, we are the people that are buying these devices and we are telling them what they need. Supply and demand this is what we are demanding so supply us with it.
    08-11-11 10:25 AM
    RIM won't do that because Mike L. and Jim B. thinks you don't need all these specs. They come up with a phone and tells you this is all you'll need. Sounds familiar?
    Yeah, sounds like Steve J telling everyone that they don't need more than 512mb RAM on their iPhone 4, or that they are holding it wrong and that's why they are losing signal. Kind of reminds me how he says you don't need Flash either, because it's bad for you. Does that answer your question?

Maybe they were trying to take a leaf out of SJ's book. Who can forget that Mike L. once said there'll never be a camera or an MP3 player on a BlackBerry?
    Probably the same people (you), that forget how Steve Jobs said that he will never put video capability on an iPod.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    08-11-11 11:22 AM
    08-11-11 11:25 AM
    I forgot, could you post the statement from Mike Lazaridis? Because all you'll find is BGR's claim. Nice how you've taken his fabricated stories and made them reality in your mind.
    In our phone call, Lazaridis acknowledged the existence of other devices on the market that do things the Blackberries do not. But in the same breath, Lazaridis is unapologetic for what he says is a deliberate design decision.
    As legal woes loom, RIM co-CEO still talks up innovation | ZDNet

While BlackBerries have grown from glorified pagers into smart phones with hand-held computer functions, they still offer fewer features than competitors' products, as part of a deliberate strategy. Future BlackBerries will not include the cameras that have proven to be big sellers on cellphones, because government and corporate customers view them as a security problem, according to Mike Lazaridis, the president and other co-chief executive at R.I.M.
    New Economy - A beloved gadget thrives, even when it deliberately passes up the bells and whistles. - NYTimes.com

Lazaridis made the case that the absence of a camera is a good thing, making the BlackBerry permissible in places where camera phones would be blocked, such as a research lab or a courtroom.
    Gadget: The New BlackBerry - TIME

Sorry to burst your bubble Willie, time to snap out of it. And welcome back to reality!
    08-11-11 12:36 PM
    Yeah, sounds like Steve J telling everyone that they don't need more than 512mb RAM on their iPhone 4, or that they are holding it wrong and that's why they are losing signal. Kind of reminds me how he says you don't need Flash either, because it's bad for you. Does that answer your question?

Probably the same people (you), that forget how Steve Jobs said that he will never put video capability on an iPod.
    For starters, those were rhetorical questions.

Now, what is your point? So what if SJ says all these?
    08-11-11 12:54 PM
    RIM won't do that because Mike L. and Jim B. thinks you don't need all these specs. They come up with a phone and tells you this is all you'll need.
    Now, what is your point? So what if SJ says all these?
    So what you are trying to say here is that it's okay if SJ does it, but if M&J do it, awww **** naww!

08-11-11 01:35 PM
    So what you are trying to say here is that it's okay if SJ does it, but if M&J do it, awww **** naww!

SJ has a history of saying they will "never" do something..and then turn around and do it. This is to perhaps throw people off the scent so to speak. But when Mike L. makes a statement..it's because that's what he believes..not because they are secretly working on something.

This is why he stated perhaps they were trying to take a page from SJ's handbook..saying one thing and doing another. Unfortunately for most of the BB consumers..Mike L doesn't seem to be this "crafty"..
    08-11-11 01:46 PM
    Wait people change their minds?

Steve Jobs’ 6 Sneakiest Statements | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

“There are no plans to make a tablet,” Jobs was quoted saying to Mossberg. “It turns out people want keyboards…. We look at the tablet, and we think it is going to fail.”
    “I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out. We believe cellphones are going to carry this information. We didn’t think we’d do well in the cellphone business. What we’ve done instead is we’ve written what we think is some of the best software in the world to start syncing information between devices. We believe that mode is what cellphones need to get to. We chose to do the iPod instead of a PDA.”

Jobs made a rather provocative statement in 2008 when he told The New York Times that the Kindle would go nowhere:

“It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore,” he said. “Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read any more.”

Of course, the CEO backpedaled on his Kindle-dissing during his iPad keynote when he was introducing the iPad’s very own e-book reader and store, iBooks.

“Amazon’s done a great job at pioneering this functionality with their Kindle, and we’re going to stand on their shoulders and go a bit further,” he said during his Jan. 27 keynote this year.
    When Mossberg in 2003 asked Jobs whether he planned to put video in an iPod, the CEO said he was turned off by the idea.

“I’m not convinced people want to watch movies on a tiny little screen,” Jobs said. “To paraphrase Bill Clinton, ‘It’s the music, stupid, it’s the music!’ Music’s been around for a long time, will continue to be, it’s huge.”

Then two years later, in 2005, Apple released the fifth-generation iPod whose tiny, 2.7-inch screen played video. And then in 2007 Apple released the third-generation iPod Nano with video — with an even littler 2-inch screen.
    In a September 2009 interview with Jobs, New York Times columnist David Pogue asked the CEO why Apple crammed a camera into the puny iPod Nano and not the new iPod Touch. Jobs explained the lack of a camera was to keep the price down, so Apple could market the Touch as an inexpensive gaming device.

But later, teardown company iFixit ripped apart the iPod Touch and found a gap that would fit a camera. And on top of that, AppleInsider received a tip that cameras were planned for the iPod Touch, but ultimately delayed due to technical problems.
    What a terrible CEO, amirite?
    08-11-11 01:50 PM
    SJ has a history of saying they will "never" do something..and then turn around and do it. This is to perhaps throw people off the scent so to speak. But when Mike L. makes a statement..it's because that's what he believes..not because they are secretly working on something.
    And you know this how?
    08-11-11 01:55 PM
    RIM can easily make devices that beat the competition, but their margins will suffer and make less profit. Thats the issue. 1.2ghz single-core processors are much cheaper than the dual-core ones as they have been out for a little bit. The android manufacturers have much smaller margins and thus make less money than RIM. Apple has even larger margins because they bought huge amounts of cheaper processors because thats what they needed, and their iphone works great.

It's all about money. People won't pay for a 800$ phone that has specs that just beat the Samsung galaxy s2. And if RIM charges only $600 or so, then they don't make as much money per phone, and their profit goes down, making it more difficult to invest in the future, and maintain a profitable business in the longterm.

Obviously, its not the specs that sell phones, its the software and smartphone design. This is what RIM is improving with the QNX OS. Shareholders don't care about the specs, they care about maintaining that profit. Nobody cares that the iphone runs at 800Mhz, it runs smooth.

RIM just needed to get out of that BB OS architecture that was limiting apps, multitasking, stability and all that jazz...they don't need 1080p video recording, or 1.5ghz dual-core cpus, or a higher res display, 8mp camera (they are getting cheaper). They need to compromise with 720p video, 5-8mp camera, 1Ghz dual-core like the playbook, and more innovative software features that actually make a difference in real-life so they can continue as a successful business.
    08-11-11 02:05 PM

Since when did I say that it's okay for SJ to do it? Please read my last few posts in this thread and quote me where I said it's okay for SJ to do that. I have not edited my posts in any way as well.

Fallacy: Straw Man

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.
    Wait people change their minds?

Steve Jobs 6 Sneakiest Statements | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

What a terrible CEO, amirite?
    Not as bad as M&J. There were many people pissed when they heard those statements by SJ, but at least he delivered!
    08-11-11 10:40 PM
    ^^ also mr steve said that 4 inch phones would not sell, and again he's wrong

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 11:34 PM

I'll clear that confusion right now:

Mike L. is no Steve Jobs.
    Rickroller likes this.
    08-12-11 12:10 AM
    Since when did I say that it's okay for SJ to do it? Please read my last few posts in this thread and quote me where I said it's okay for SJ to do that. I have not edited my posts in any way as well.
    I've already quoted it, in the same comment that you just quoted.

You attacked Mike for something

RIM won't do that because Mike L. and Jim B. thinks you don't need all these specs. They come up with a phone and tells you this is all you'll need. Sounds familiar?
    And I, answering your question, said how Steve Jobs does the same thing

Yeah, sounds like Steve J telling everyone that they don't need more than 512mb RAM on their iPhone 4, or that they are holding it wrong and that's why they are losing signal. Kind of reminds me how he says you don't need Flash either, because it's bad for you.
    To which you responded

what is your point? So what if SJ says all these?
    So you attack M&J for doing it, but don't see anything wrong when SJ does it. That is what I was pointing out. Do you understand now?
    Last edited by 01itr; 08-12-11 at 09:55 AM.
    08-12-11 09:48 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD