08-16-11 08:28 AM
62 123
tools
    Analysts Claim Launch of BlackBerry QNX Superphones To Be Delayed
    by Ravi Mandalia
    August 8, 2011

Research in Motion wont be launching ONX based Smartphones until late 2012, an analyst has claimed.

Jefferies and Co analyst Peter Misek said in a note to clients that the company is not expected to launch the superphones anytime soon even as RIM dished out new BlackBerry 7 OS devices.

We continue to believe the story hinges on QNX, which we believe will be delayed to [the second half of 2012] vs. guidance of early CY12. Channel checks indicate that in spite of RIM's best efforts, QNX handsets are still likely to arrive in [the second half of 2012], he said.

Many analysts believe that the Canadian Smartphone maker would need a lot more than new BlackBerry OS 7 devices to counter the advances made by Apple and Android at the expense of its market share.

The claim comes even before the company has announced a time-line for launching QNX based devices. RIM has been criticised by analysts for doing little to protect its market share from falling prey to Apple and Android and the disastrous launch of its PlayBook tablet PC device.

Previously a top RIM executive hinted that QNX based BlackBerry Smartphones will take 18 months to be launched, Tech Radar reports.

The delay could mean that consumers across the globe might just not wait for the QNX based smartphone and this could mean trouble for RIM.

Analysts Claim Launch of BlackBerry QNX Superphones To Be Delayed | ITProPortal.com
    08-08-11 12:22 PM
    Why can't RIM issue an official/approved corporate stance to avoid all this confusing conjecture that casts Blackberry in a bad light???
    08-08-11 12:25 PM
    Why can't RIM issue an official/approved corporate stance to avoid all this confusing conjecture that casts Blackberry in a bad light???
    It all starts at the top..

Sent from my ADR6300
    08-08-11 12:28 PM
    This is all getting out of control.
    08-08-11 12:38 PM
    Can't delay something that has never been officially announced as having a release date, lol.
    08-08-11 12:41 PM
    To be honest, I hope that they delay the phones purposely so that they can become one of the first companies issuing an operating system to get it 90% right on their first try. (Think iOS missing 100 features, all of androids bugs, wp7 bugs and webOS's bugs and lack of apps) If RIM were able to do this, then that would hopefully be able to bring many people to/back to BlackBerry.

Although I still do believe that an announcement at BlackBerry World for the devices with a launch the following week (ie Apple style lauch) would be the best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 12:43 PM

There's probably nothing they can say at the moment that will deter the "bad light". I mean they can't give concrete dates because maybe they don't know and/or they don't want to commit to something and then get criticized again later if they can't meet it. And the standard "corporate response" will do little to help them regarding that because chances are it will not reveal anything but only say stuff like "RIM is committed to developing QNX....." and not really giving answers. I don't agree with all the negative press but the best thing RIM can do is work on QNX and give projected dates (and stick to them) for updates to current OS versions and devices.
    gravymonster likes this.
    08-08-11 12:45 PM
    Can't delay something that has never been officially announced as having a release date, lol.
    Yeah but Lazaridis said early 2012 as recently as the AGM.

I don't believe any of these stupid rumors (there are so many now) but I would have a hard time convincing anyone that RIM can be trusted because their track record on these things is so poor lately.

RIM should just come clean about the current state of: 1. email for playbook, 2. the Android Player, 3. QNX phones.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-08-11 12:46 PM
    E X A C T L Y ! But the court of public opinion will read a date in a tag line from a BGR release and then be disappointed when it doesn't hit... or a blurb from an analyst who uses the word "delayed" and think that BB is stumbling on the QNX product. Somebody up there cut through this fog...
    08-08-11 12:48 PM
    These analysts don't know anything that is not public knowledge. This is all purely speculation.

If an "analyst" or anyone like an analyst learns of anything that is supposed to be confidential (which you can bet would include most information pertaining to QNX), I'm 99% sure that it would be "insider trading" for them to do anything with that stock.
    CGI likes this.
    08-08-11 12:55 PM
    It wouldn't stop rumours, it would just make rim look weak if every poxy blog article caused them to respond and plans could chage as time goes by e.g. if combined radio chipsets are delayed then blackberries with LTE support would get pushed back till they were ready since a redesign would be far more costly and time-consuming.
    08-08-11 01:05 PM
    it always seems that RIM's "upcoming" phones are current, then they get delayed nearly a year and are subpar, only at this juncture, that isn't affordable. people can spit out RIM's profits all they want, the bottom line is if investors don't see os7 selling, it's lights out. QNX could very well never come out on handsets if RIM doesn't make sure os7 is popular, and honestly, i don't see how it will be, with less features, and a higher pricepoint, 6% public interest in bb as next purchase, iphone 5 releasing same time for $100 less than some models, os7 seems like a longshot, forget about qnx, RIM needs os7 to rock.
    08-08-11 01:48 PM
    it always seems that RIM's "upcoming" phones are current, then they get delayed nearly a year and are subpar, only at this juncture, that isn't affordable. people can spit out RIM's profits all they want, the bottom line is if investors don't see os7 selling, it's lights out. QNX could very well never come out on handsets if RIM doesn't make sure os7 is popular, and honestly, i don't see how it will be, with less features, and a higher pricepoint, 6% public interest in bb as next purchase, iphone 5 releasing same time for $100 less than some models, os7 seems like a longshot, forget about qnx, RIM needs os7 to rock.
    RIM can get by one quarter on BB7 phones if QNX really is coming out in early 2012.
    08-08-11 01:50 PM
    well heres to hoping right? it'd be the first time RIM ever released a device promptly. and this is a whole new OS, i'll hope just like everyone else, but after layoffs and clear issues with QNX and BES i can't really believe qnx will be around on handsets until late 2012 at the earliest, i feel like we'd have heard more about it by now if q1 looked promising.
    08-08-11 01:54 PM
    So BGR says Q1 and single core, now an analcyst on the same day say delayed. Is this just like the Android player misinformation the media put out? These so-called tech bloggers (that only tech credential is that they used a smartphone at some point) and analcysts don't know $h1te! They just have to spue voxarhea every now and again to make it look like they are doing a job.

Once they get the 4G Playbooks out with the Native PIM and e-mail then the majority of the QNX phone development is done. The radio stack will be done, the crypto kernel is done and the core apps will be done.
    Last edited by lnichols; 08-08-11 at 01:59 PM.
    Cynn likes this.
    08-08-11 01:54 PM
    These analysts don't know anything that is not public knowledge. This is all purely speculation.

If an "analyst" or anyone like an analyst learns of anything that is supposed to be confidential (which you can bet would include most information pertaining to QNX), I'm 99% sure that it would be "insider trading" for them to do anything with that stock.
    OK this is entirely untrue. While an analysts early career is studying compiled and raw data points, more senior analysts develop significant industry contacts at all levels. Store managers, employees, programmers, managers, financial personnel, as well as individuals in the manufacturing and shipping channels. Much like bloggers do today, with the exception that analysts pay for the information, because their clients pay them. It not only makes no sense for them to purely speculate, it is potentially costly to go out on a limb and be wrong.

Further, I might point out that the 'rumors' about what is happening at RIM have proven to show a great deal more truth than what the CEOs have said. Ie. Delays in the PB, PB launching w/o native e-mail, PB not being BES compatible, cancelation of OS6.1 HHs, delays getting OS7 devices into circulation (reminder we are well into August and the first 2011 HH has not been released and no US release dates confirmed). And one more thing RIMM is hovering around $22 right now with a ton of COH and a huge IP Portfolio. It doesn't take a genius to know that at $20, RIMM is significantly undervalued enough to make it a prime target, even for a brute proxy battle if necessaary.
    08-08-11 02:03 PM
    Simple RIM has two heads and they are going in opposite directions.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-08-11 02:09 PM
    gizmodo's take on recent news:

The First BlackBerry Running QNX Shows Up and Sounds Like the Same Old Story
    Codenamed BlackBerry Colt, details of RIM's first BlackBerry to run the new PlayBook tablet-like QNX software has been leaked to BGR, and from what they've reported it sounds like same old RIM: a single-core chipset, and lacking BES support, too.

We'd previously heard that RIM won't include Flash-support on its phones as "you need dual-core processors to render Flash in the way that we would want to do it. The processing power isn't there yet," so presumably the first raft of QNX phones isn't going to be quite where RIM wants to take the BlackBerry line.

Though it's worth bearing in mind that this is an unconfirmed leak (and a Photoshopped image) and might not amount to anything—and indeed, specs have been known to change between rumors and the final product—BGR's track record with BlackBerry leaks is pretty tight. And when it boils down to it, are we really that surprised that RIM will somehow manage to **** up their first wonderphone release too?

BGR's source touched upon the lack of BlackBerry Enterprise Server support, saying that like the PlayBook launching without native email support due to BES problems, the delay is down to RIM writing a QNX-compatible BES version. Considering a large percentage of RIM's customers are corporate users, the only way to use Microsoft Exchange email on this Colt phone would be using Microsoft ActiveSync temporarily.

According to the source, the Colt will go on sale in the first quarter of 2012, but honestly I'd rather wait a few more months and see RIM actually get it right.

-
    i have to pretty much agree, from the sounds of it, if any of it is true, RIM is indeed screwing this launch up, can't say it's surprising, because i can't recall a launch of any product that wasn't screwed up, only now the spotlight is on them, they don't seem to have learned from the PB launch. quality over quantity RIM'

with no BES and likely a high pricepoint (if os7 phones are $300 on a 2/year i can't fathom qnx phones) these won't sell well internationally and won't sell for businesses obviously with no BES support, so it's a consumer device, and there's only 6% of consumers saying they will purchase a blackberry as their next device. the longer the delays the smaller that number will be.
    08-08-11 02:14 PM
    for those that say you cant delay somthing that hasnt been officially annouced well it has been at there investor meetings the ceo clearly say early 2012 now they are on record for saying that they cant say o we dont remember or we never said that like jim said about the native email for the playbook in 60 days. if this delay is true they must say somthing or it it true that they are missleading there investors. they clearly said still on schedule for early 2012 so yes it has been officially annouced
    08-08-11 02:18 PM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01itr, johnmarki, ericlc2 and 1 others like this.
    08-08-11 02:20 PM
    i got a fealling that in the days few days or week i am going to wake up and the news will be google takesover rim that stock price is way to low it almost seems like there doing it on purpose so they can get bought out and cashout and run
    08-08-11 02:22 PM
    No schit, imagine that RIM will delay again. Only thing you count on is paying taxes and those always going up and death.

What is the next rumor going to be? Jaylo goes down on RIM so expect more delays.
    08-08-11 02:42 PM
    Like hating blackberries hating their CEO's became a cult lately...either way they not cowards like Nokia to give up or ****** like palm to go belly up , for god sake they are still profitable and have money and brains to tide over the storm. I wouldn't blame anything but the timing and RIM's conservative nature , it is not going to change overnight and it will take time and I can see the realization is there among the CEO's and it is evident by the recent management shift at the top level and the recent acquisitions. They have been wise with acquisitions and they have been wise with spreading their wings to new territories, all these accomplishments should see them over the painful process. If the stock goes any below I wish RIM would buy themselves out from stock market with the help of a venture capitalist or may be Canadian government as the price at this levels is ridiculous as never been never seen kind of thing for a tech company.
    08-08-11 02:58 PM
    Based on RIMs recent track record I would have to agree that the QNX phones will be delayed further then RIM indicates.

But then Jim and Mike can always say " we didn't say that" and " what you need to understand is this". The standard lines coming out of Waterloo the past 6 months.

Tim
    08-08-11 03:49 PM
    RIM can't even get the BBOS 7 devices out on time. How are they going to launch a QNX phone by Q1 next year?
    08-09-11 10:25 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD