i read this article over at www.androidcentral.com the android will outpace the iphone by 2012 my question is where will blackberry stand in all this. what will they do to compete. imo just seems like rim needs a make over. dont get me wrong i love bb but these other phones seems to be building for the future rims seems complacent. Not to mention android will have flash player 10 before the end of the year that they will have over the iphone.
    03-11-09 10:17 AM
    May replace the current iPhone, but who knows what Apple will have out within the next 3 years.
    03-11-09 10:39 AM
    The companies will stay the same. We are all amoung users of smart phones these days. Apple will probably release a slimmer, more compact and crazy quality iPhon. Rim will probably make an amazing bold like bb that will change the way you pictured phones. The future is great. hahha.
    03-11-09 10:47 AM
    Android was a great idea but has been pretty lack-luster thus far. I can't see it outpacing anything unless they really step their game up. You can't even input all of the data you need for calendar events on the thing!

But I love the idea of Android. It's capable of really anything... but for some reason it's currently more locked down (in its retail form) than Windows Mobile.
    03-11-09 11:53 AM
    Android will be #2 OS while Blackberry falls to #6:

www dot computerworld dot com/s/article/9139026/Android_to_grab_No._2_spot_by_2012_says_Gartner?ta xonomyId=89
    10-06-09 06:58 PM
    Android will be #2 OS while Blackberry falls to #6:
    Ridiculous. BlackBerry is #1 today. Apple isn't even close. No way even the biggest "Debbie Downer" could argue that RIM would go from #1 to "#6" in a year. The argument is simply ridiculous.
    10-06-09 08:25 PM
    Ridiculous. BlackBerry is #1 today. Apple isn't even close. No way even the biggest "Debbie Downer" could argue that RIM would go from #1 to "#6" in a year. The argument is simply ridiculous.
    Wrong! BlackBerry is #1 in the US. Worldwide Nokia and the Symbian OS is
    in first place.

Additionally, for the 2nd quarter of 2009, the iPhone sales increased by 365%
    compared to the same quarter in the previous year. How did RIM do? 29%

The argument is completely feasible.
    10-06-09 10:14 PM
    I think each OS/phone caters to its users. I think Android is super cool, but its really not something I care for. I think certain Windows Mobile phones have cool qualities, and I certainly don't hate the Iphone.

But for me, the BB is what works for my needs. I like its reliability...to constantly compare is getting played out. Each offers the user their own advantages and disadvantages.
    10-06-09 10:20 PM
    I think each OS/phone caters to its users. I think Android is super cool, but its really not something I care for. I think certain Windows Mobile phones have cool qualities, and I certainly don't hate the Iphone.

But for me, the BB is what works for my needs. I like its reliability...to constantly compare is getting played out. Each offers the user their own advantages and disadvantages.
    Points taken but this is not a comparison, which is better discussion. It is a
    market share discussion.
    10-06-09 10:28 PM
    Yes, I was watching a business report (by accident) and that was where I saw Symbian as the worldwide leader (at 50% of ww market share, with RIM/BB at 20.9%.).

The story was reflective of Android/Google teaming up with Verizon to try and grab more market share.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 10:34 PM

Check the reliability stats of any OS... The road only goes up from here.

Really... The BB does work well... But imagine a future where Android does well and becomes more polished. Where is BB then?

Really any company that can sit and watch earning fall and do nothing deserves to fail! Sorry, the same holds true for BB!

I don't think as a company that RIM is going to keep watching the profits dwindle and do nothing! Even from a corporate perspective, people nowadays want more from a portable device! It is no longer the PSP for games and videos, the iPod for music or the this or that for this purpose, people want it all contained in one little device! RIM needs to see this or fall flat on the face!

The evolution of electronics is a dog eat dog world! I hope for the sake of RIM and those who praise the BB that RIM sees this... If not it will be lights out for RIM!

The good thing about all this is whatever company innovates, this opens the door for more innovation and "tweaks" to make innovation better! Don't really matter where true innovation comes from as long as a company can take innovation and make it better (think tabbed browsing).

All I can say is good luck RIM and I sure hope you can remain competitive! On the same note, if you fail to see market trends and think your device in current state has offerings that will take you into the next step of electronic evolution, been nice while it lasted but see ya!
    10-06-09 10:52 PM
    BB been around for over 10 years in phones.
    Apple for what 4 of 5 in phones
    Android if totally new, they got everyone else mistakes they might step over, but they still have a lot of ground to cover that RIM and Apple have already passed!!
    Every OS and ohione maker or computer company whatever it may be, they come out promising and making boasts only to fall in their respective place among the market. Noone can predict of promise that everyone in the workf is honing to buy and keep their devise.
    As far as apple I creasing sales so much over BB, Apple is only offered with one carrier, sounds like they don't hold up like a BB which is offered with almost all carriers and is practicly immortal!
    You don't replace what is not broke!

10-06-09 11:03 PM
    BB been around for over 10 years in phones.
    Apple for what 4 of 5 in phones
    Android if totally new, they got everyone else mistakes they might step over, but they still have a lot of ground to cover that RIM and Apple have already passed!!
    Every OS and ohione maker or computer company whatever it may be, they come out promising and making boasts only to fall in their respective place among the market. Noone can predict of promise that everyone in the workf is honing to buy and keep their devise.
    As far as apple I creasing sales so much over BB, Apple is only offered with one carrier, sounds like they don't hold up like a BB which is offered with almost all carriers and is practicly immortal!
    You don't replace what is not broke!

Your argument is moot!

Never matters how long a product/company has been around! I could release a product tomorrow that is both an iPhone killer and an BB killer!

Doesn't really matter! When you give the consumer what they want they don't give a da** how long X company has been around! They just care that the device has the features they are after!

Seniority does not hold a whole lot of ground in technology!
    Last edited by corbintechboy; 10-06-09 at 11:50 PM.
    10-06-09 11:45 PM
    All these articles could be right or wrong. No one knows what the future holds or they would have been mega millionaires.
    10-07-09 12:00 AM
    All these articles could be right or wrong. No one knows what the future holds or they would have been mega millionaires.
    Good point!

The great thing about life! No one really knows what is going to happen next week let alone year.
    10-07-09 02:27 AM
    Corbin, you need to chill. I think what luvitlo was getting at was that in their times, Apple and RIM have both realized what works and what doesn't as far as their companies. Yes, you theoretically could release an iPhone / BB killer tomorrow, but the odds of it being polished to the nines and working 100% are slim to nil.

Every new company trips at first, then finds its stride, which is what I think luvitlo was getting at. Android needs to find its stride before overtaking the smartphone giants.
    10-07-09 02:52 AM
    Corbin, you need to chill.
    Wasn't worked up

I understood the point!

The problem is that he has a theory that we don't fix whats not broke. If we went with that theory nothing would evolve.

Take Windows 3.1.. It was a great OS in the day and what I would not constitute as "broke"... In order for tech to evolve it had to update to something newer.

That was my point.
    10-07-09 03:15 AM
    Acctually. Zeroglitch is right and you took it wrong.
    My point is every new manufacturer comes out making huge promises to get the sells and get people to try their product.
    Then after people but it and it is buggy or lacks in features they are used to, then people are disappointed!
    I don't mind more companies hitting the market, it usually lowers the price on what I prefer to use just because there is competition on the market.
    Look at windows since you brought it up, they come out with a new OS every 2 to 4 years, the new versions are always full of bugs that have to be worked out with user interface! New companies don't have that experience and when it is "broke" or "buggy" they take longer to fix it because they don't have the experience of older companies.
    And odds pa an iphone and BB killer being released soon see super slim! There are stilll those whom will back the tried and true product they have come to trust. Especially when it comes to electronics!

10-07-09 06:54 AM
    Acctually. Zeroglitch is right and you took it wrong.
    My point is every new manufacturer comes out making huge promises to get the sells and get people to try their product.
    Then after people but it and it is buggy or lacks in features they are used to, then people are disappointed!
    I don't mind more companies hitting the market, it usually lowers the price on what I prefer to use just because there is competition on the market.
    Look at windows since you brought it up, they come out with a new OS every 2 to 4 years, the new versions are always full of bugs that have to be worked out with user interface! New companies don't have that experience and when it is "broke" or "buggy" they take longer to fix it because they don't have the experience of older companies.
    And odds pa an iphone and BB killer being released soon see super slim! There are stilll those whom will back the tried and true product they have come to trust. Especially when it comes to electronics!
    Excellent point!

But one thing you fail to realize is the nature of Android. This project is open source and the chance of bugs going unseen for any big length of time are slim.

The other great thing about open source is the model to which it is developed. No longer is a hand full of people decided what this feature or that will be like (if even included at all). It is all done in a community development model.

The people who use phones are now writing the software for the phone. Really, is there anyone who could develop a more consumer centric solution then the consumers themselves?

I think it will be interesting to see how Android develops over time! I do really think that if companies like RIM and Apple sit idle while Android is maturing, these companies are going to suffer some sort of loses.

Only time will tell!
    10-07-09 06:19 PM
    Only time will tell!
    And that is the essence of this whole discussion. A forum called "Android Central" publishes something saying Android will overrun the iPhone... Am I the only one to see some bias, some lack of objectivity, and some naivety here?

So many factors influence brand equity. Trying to predict how a brand will compare with another brand in the future is silly because an outsider rarely knows all, if any, influencing factors. Image, price, innovation factor, temporary hype, technology, positioning shifts, etc. et al are all things that you cannot forsee unless you work tightly with the management of all the brands you're attempting to compare. Brand equity is not linear!

Only in a scenario where you are on the boards of RIM, Apple, Google, Motorola, Nokia, and whatnot - all at the same time - you will have enough oversight and insight to attempt to make a prediction based on plans you have in front of you. And even at that point, these are merely plans and do not come with a guaranteed effect in the marketplace. You will, even then, not be able to accurately predict the market's response to those plans.

I do not believe that the person who wrote that post on "Android Central" has that oversight or that kind of insight into all the dynamics at play. I know that not a single person [who would be free to publicize this sort of information] exists. On this basis, anyone who "predicts" such things is just after linkbait.

This is the beauty, and the challenge, of economics and marketing. Nothing is linear. Nothing is accurately predictable.

P.S.: Has anyone noticed that the OP wrote this thread on March 11, 2009? lol.
    10-07-09 07:50 PM
    And that is the essence of this whole discussion. A forum called "Android Central" publishes something saying Android will overrun the iPhone... Am I the only one to see some bias, some lack of objectivity, and some naivety here?

So many factors influence brand equity. Trying to predict how a brand will compare with another brand in the future is silly because an outsider rarely knows all, if any, influencing factors. Image, price, innovation factor, temporary hype, technology, positioning shifts, etc. et al are all things that you cannot forsee unless you work tightly with the management of all the brands you're attempting to compare. Brand equity is not linear!

Only in a scenario where you are on the boards of RIM, Apple, Google, Motorola, Nokia, and whatnot - all at the same time - you will have enough oversight and insight to attempt to make a prediction based on plans you have in front of you. And even at that point, these are merely plans and do not come with a guaranteed effect in the marketplace. You will, even then, not be able to accurately predict the market's response to those plans.

I do not believe that the person who wrote that post on "Android Central" has that oversight or that kind of insight into all the dynamics at play. I know that not a single person [who would be free to publicize this sort of information] exists. On this basis, anyone who "predicts" such things is just after linkbait.

This is the beauty, and the challenge, of economics and marketing. Nothing is linear. Nothing is accurately predictable.

P.S.: Has anyone noticed that the OP wrote this thread on March 11, 2009? lol.
    Good point!

But it really becomes not so hard to predict the outcome when something is open source.

Let's go out on a limb here:

Let's say RIM has 500 active developers (accuracy don't matter here)
    Apple has 500
    Android has how many? Really with Android the sky is the limit!

That is the beauty (or not) of the open source movement!

You have an development team of thousands, possibly millions of people all with the same goal.. To make something that appeals to the masses.

Look at the market share of Firefox or how the market share of Linux is growing or even go out on a limb and look at the high interest in Chrome.

Open source is a very strong force! Any company should fear it (look at the way MS tries to attack Linux).

Only way RIM can win against such a giant is to really tune into what the consumer wants! If this does not happen the article will be correct! There is no way to doubt that fact!

Here is an analogy:
    If you wanted a house built to your specs, would you walk into a place and slap down your blueprints and let the builder look at you and say "nope...we only build by our standards and designs"?

Same is true of anything! If you want something that is suited to you, you buy it! If you worked on the team of any company you may be able to make a device specially suited to you and market it! Chances are that everyone who uses that device is not interested in the same sorts of things you are and the device may not sell.

Flip it and have a device manufactured with a whole bunch of opinions at work, now you have a device that has what you need and a whole lot more. This type of thing is what the masses are after.

Again really only time will tell! At the same time Android really is a force to be reckoned with!
    10-07-09 11:07 PM
    Check the reliability stats of any OS... The road only goes up from here.

Really... The BB does work well... But imagine a future where Android does well and becomes more polished. Where is BB then?

Really any company that can sit and watch earning fall and do nothing deserves to fail! Sorry, the same holds true for BB!

I don't think as a company that RIM is going to keep watching the profits dwindle and do nothing! Even from a corporate perspective, people nowadays want more from a portable device! It is no longer the PSP for games and videos, the iPod for music or the this or that for this purpose, people want it all contained in one little device! RIM needs to see this or fall flat on the face!

The evolution of electronics is a dog eat dog world! I hope for the sake of RIM and those who praise the BB that RIM sees this... If not it will be lights out for RIM!

The good thing about all this is whatever company innovates, this opens the door for more innovation and "tweaks" to make innovation better! Don't really matter where true innovation comes from as long as a company can take innovation and make it better (think tabbed browsing).

All I can say is good luck RIM and I sure hope you can remain competitive! On the same note, if you fail to see market trends and think your device in current state has offerings that will take you into the next step of electronic evolution, been nice while it lasted but see ya!
    dammmmmmn i couldnt have said it any better i feel the exact way.
    10-07-09 11:10 PM
    I agree with you, I'm a big fan of open-source myself. But you can't open-source hardware, only software.

If RIM were to open up their hardware (which IMO is yet to be beaten) to an open-source OS, that would have an amazing effect. If I were them, I'd seriously consider testing how this will work out, maybe initially by just releasing a single model that runs on an open-source OS such as Android. I think they would have to adapt and modify Android to work with the the hardware (such as the physical keyboard), but I believe it would be worth it.

Back to the point though: you can't give "open-source" too much weight as a factor without considering its dependencies. And you can't neglect other factors that weigh in. We might have Android, but I would never consider getting a phone running on it at the moment because I don't like touchscreens at all. That's just me, of course.

And don't forget other examples - Apple, for instance, is not open-source. Its success is based on seamlessly intertwined hardware + software and brand image. The fact remains that Apple is extremely successful, even while it's competing against an established system that is possibly the closest thing to open-source you'll get in the non-software world: an abundance of different hardware manufacturers, all working on the next best piece of equipment for your computer.
    10-11-09 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD