Anyone out there curious about the possibility of Amazon buying Blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 04:07 AM
    hmmmmmm.....errrrr....nope

Posted via CB10
    rnhld likes this.
    09-05-13 04:09 AM
    Why not? Amazon are slowly taking over the world. They have there own tablets, what's to say they don't want to get into the smartphone market?

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 04:20 AM
    Man there's a LOT of duplicate threads on here lately. Maybe the mods can't keep up?
    09-05-13 04:49 AM
    Online services that could be part of an Amazon Blackberry deal = Amazon Prime, Amazon Cloud Storage, Amazon Cloud Player, Amazon Instant video, Amazon Silk, Amazon App Store, Amazon Kindle Store

This would allow Amazon to get away from the Android OS. Thinking that by joining Blackberry Amazon would seem more like Apple. Handsets and tablets alongwith OS and online services under one roof.

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-05-13 06:29 AM
    finally....we would have a proper book store
    09-05-13 06:32 AM
    Throw in the BlackBerry OS and BBM to put to use and I think there is something there. In this space there is more win win than if a straight up "tech" company buys BB. There is still value in BlackBerry but BlackBerry needs more than the handset. Amazon gains OS and patents plus a fairly wide spread user base and the BlackBerry name. Who knows, maybe we will see a Blackberry Kindle, which to me is better than no BlackBerry at all.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 06:46 AM
    Consumers seem to want Android, not BBOS10. That would be one very big reason not to do the deal.
    Air Force One likes this.
    09-05-13 08:35 AM
    Throw in the BlackBerry OS and BBM to put to use and I think there is something there. In this space there is more win win than if a straight up "tech" company buys BB. There is still value in BlackBerry but BlackBerry needs more than the handset. Amazon gains OS and patents plus a fairly wide spread user base and the BlackBerry name. Who knows, maybe we will see a Blackberry Kindle, which to me is better than no BlackBerry at all.

Posted via CB10
    Amazon wants to sell you stuff, not smartphones. The forked version of Android on the Kindle Fire is specifically geared to get you to buy stuff from Amazon. Why on earth would it suddenly want a generic, resource hungry OS like BB10? Let alone BBRY's patents. What use would they be?

Face it, there is no white knight coming. Just a wake. Head for the bar.
    Air Force One likes this.
    09-05-13 10:00 AM
    I'd hate to see them become a glorified store front to Amazon. I'd rather see BlackBerry survive through software and services spinoffs.
    09-05-13 10:19 AM
    Amazon would make a good partner/buyer.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 10:24 AM
    I heard that McDonalds was wanting to diversify a little... anyone want a McBerry?

The problem is I don't think BlackBerry is a good fit for anyone - but there are a lot of companies that maybe interested in different parts of BlackBerry. So most likely you will see a group like PW come in and buy the company and then sell or auction off the pieces that have interest. Don't believe that hardware of BB10 will be something anyone is going to want.

The rumors of an Amazon phone have pretty much died. Don't think they are interested in any additional hardware at this time.
    09-05-13 10:47 AM
    Ehh not too sure about Amazon.
    09-05-13 11:04 AM
    Amazon was not mentioned in the WSJ article.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 11:25 AM
    I am going to do a leveraged buyout of BB and I have enough credit cards to max out to get the company bought
    09-05-13 11:28 AM
    Amazon is the best chance for the possibility of BB10 to remain as an OS player in the market (even if under a different branding). Microsoft would kill it off hoping to keep its customers and still push that awful WP8 stuff, especially with the Nokia acquisition. The only other hope would be an Android OEM looking to get away from Android, but Samsung is the only one I see with the muscle and clout to pull that off and I doubt they will do that. Chinese company buying them would be the end of Government business.
    09-05-13 12:22 PM
    Amazon is the best chance for the possibility of BB10 to remain as an OS player in the market (even if under a different branding). Microsoft would kill it off hoping to keep its customers and still push that awful WP8 stuff, especially with the Nokia acquisition. The only other hope would be an Android OEM looking to get away from Android, but Samsung is the only one I see with the muscle and clout to pull that off and I doubt they will do that. Chinese company buying them would be the end of Government business.
    I doubt that Amazon is interested at all

It got into the tablet business for proactive reasons. It was afraid that it would get shut out of the App stores, or that it might be forced to pay Apple's 30% in app purchase tax. I don't think Amazon has those fears anymore. Plus, buying a small player like BlackBerry doesn't fix the problem. It would still need to convince ios and Android users to switch. So it would have two problems instead of one.

I would forget about Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 02:12 PM
    Wow, An awful lot of grasping at straws today. Amazon already sell a perfectly successful android tablet. They use android and they like Android.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    09-05-13 02:53 PM
    I doubt that Amazon is interested at all

It got into the tablet business for proactive reasons. It was afraid that it would get shut out of the App stores, or that it might be forced to pay Apple's 30% in app purchase tax. I don't think Amazon has those fears anymore. Plus, buying a small player like BlackBerry doesn't fix the problem. It would still need to convince ios and Android users to switch. So it would have two problems instead of one.

I would forget about Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think most people buy a Kindle Fire/HD for Android, especially since they forked it and they made it very un Android. They buy it for a tablet cheap tablet with good specs and access to great apps (Amazon's own App Store) and Amazon content. They could make BB10 tablets and phone way cheaper than BlackBerry because of the volume of devices, and like Google, are more interested in making money not on the hardware. I think with 10.2 it would be very easy for Amazon to port customers over from Android Fire to BB10 Fire.
    timothybradley and SK122387 like this.
    09-05-13 03:01 PM
    Amazon was reportedly interested in buying BB before. So yes, it is possible. I think it is more likely than MS, Cisco, HTC, Lenovo, etc. I think MS is only a possibility if its a hostile takeover. I've stated in other threads how or why I think it could be mutually beneficial. But really it comes down to what the plans are of Jeff Bezos. He bought the Washington Post and no one really understands why.
    timothybradley likes this.
    09-05-13 03:06 PM
    I agree with that line of thinking. It's not about the hardware it's about your media, connecting and linking to customers, and control over your software. Apple is an example.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 03:17 PM
    I don't think most people buy a Kindle Fire/HD for Android, especially since they forked it and they made it very un Android. They buy it for a tablet cheap tablet with good specs and access to great apps (Amazon's own App Store) and Amazon content. They could make BB10 tablets and phone way cheaper than BlackBerry because of the volume of devices, and like Google, are more interested in making money not on the hardware. I think with 10.2 it would be very easy for Amazon to port customers over from Android Fire to BB10 Fire.
    What advantage does Amazon get from this?

Android is free. They have forked it. Presumably, they have a road map. Their existing plans would be interrupted and all their development would be tossed.

They spend a few billion for BB10? What does it get them that they don't already have?

I am struggling to see why it makes any sense from where they sit.

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-05-13 03:23 PM
    What advantage does Amazon get from this?

Android is free. They have forked it. Presumably, they have a road map. Their existing plans would be interrupted and all their development would be tossed.

They spend a few billion for BB10? What does it get them that they don't already have?

I am struggling to see why it makes any sense from where they sit.

Posted via CB10
    Any loss of time due to lost development would be offset by massively speeding up their efforts to build a phone (development-wise and manufacturing) and all the carrier relationships. If they've abandoned the rumored plan to get into mobile phones, then this wouldn't make sense. We haven't heard anything either way.
    09-05-13 03:32 PM
    Online services that could be part of an Amazon Blackberry deal = Amazon Prime,
    Huh? That's a membership program, not a product.

Amazon Cloud Storage, Amazon Cloud Player, Amazon Instant video, Amazon Silk,
    Entire AWS runs on a Xen hypervisor fork, it has nothing to with Android, never will.
    Instant Video and Cloud Player are streaming services, not a platform - and they are already multiplatform, in order to increase sales.

Amazon App Store, Amazon Kindle Store
    App Store is for Android but Kindle Store is multiplatform already and it would be the stupidest thing to close it down.

This would allow Amazon to get away from the Android OS. Thinking that by joining Blackberry Amazon would seem more like Apple. Handsets and tablets alongwith OS and online services under one roof.

Posted via CB10
    You're not making any sense, confusing everything.

And again, the whole idea is utterly illogical, flies straight in the face of Amazon's business interests.
    09-05-13 04:03 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    There will be more than one high profile party making a serious bid to buy BlackBerry... nothing is out of the question.

Posted via CB10
    timothybradley likes this.
    09-05-13 05:17 PM
47 12