Has anybody else found amAze GPS to be painfully, godawful slow on their 'Berry? I tried amAze a month ago on my Flip. It looked really cool, but it was so maddeningly slow I gave up. Today I saw that the 4.5 version is out and d/l it to see if it was any different. Unfortunately not. Seriously, it's Molasses In January slow. It takes a full second to move between the Search, Route, etc icons. During region setup it took me literally minutes to scroll down the list of states to Illinois, USA. I could swear the software is crippled.

Has anybody else experienced and/or overcome this performance problem? Is there some obscure Java ME option I should set to speed things up? I have no such problem using BB Maps or Nav4All, they're both really fast.
    12-25-08 06:37 PM
    I used it on a 8310 and it was fine, well except for the UI layout, feel and button design which is a subjective thing more than anything.

However I also used it on a 9500 and well lets just say the interface isn't coping well with touchscreens, I'm wondering if they did something else funky to mess with flips.
    12-25-08 07:03 PM
    unbearably slow on my 8900 too. I'm using telmap now.
    12-25-08 07:05 PM
    It runs fast on my Bold but it doesn't play nice with other GPS apps on my BB.

When I downloaded the gpsed app, amAze refuses to open. Just sits at the loading screen. The other app this happened with was nav4all but I went ahead and removed nav4all since amAze was better, imo. I'm not removing gpsed though since I get more use out of it. If they get it to work better when loaded with other GPS apps I'd use it more.
    12-25-08 07:32 PM
    I use amAzeGPS and I agree that it is slow. However, once it is up, it works fine for me with regards to what I expect it to do: navigate me using voice directions. I used to experience the clipped voice directions with amAzeGPS v4.2, but no longer with v4.5. I tried Nav4All but with it's latest version (v4.8.74), I still get clipped voice commands. Also, the biggest draw of amAzeGPS for me is it's price: it is free. If I can get a GPS program that works for me and is free, then I will not use other programs that I admit may be more intuitive but charge me for their use or download. I tried Garmin Mobile, but after the 7-day trial period I uninstalled it from my BB, as I never seriously considered purchasing it. If Nav4All releases a newer version that corrects the sound problems then I will try it out. But once Nav4All starts charging for it's use come 2010, then I will uninstall it from my BB regardless of whether it works for me or not.

Elrohir59
    12-25-08 08:38 PM
    I also find Amaze to be slow (and painfully unable to show me satellite or hybrid views -- even for Washington, DC). I also am frustrated that I cannot receive the voice prompts through my bluetooth receiver. Finally, it does lock up when other apps are using GPS.

Bottom line ? I will continue to use my Garmin car unit as my primary nav device. I will rely on Google maps as my backup and Amaze as my backup for that.
    12-26-08 02:43 PM
    I use amAzeGPS and I agree that it is slow. However, once it is up, it works fine for me with regards to what I expect it to do: navigate me using voice directions.
    I gave amAze a second chance on the way back from the mall today (post-Christmas shopping - yikes!) It took me a few minutes to start amAze and link it to my BT GPS (had to start BB Maps first ) and input my home address, but after that it navigated great. It didn't freeze or anything when I switched over to exit BB Maps. I intentionally took a wrong turn but amAze recovered nicely, without telling me to "make a U-turn".

I will probably use amAze as my primary nav system. Nav4All has a snappier UI but it won't be free for long. Wife has a Garmin, but over Thanksgiving we discovered the year-old, on-board map data did not have a new subdivision we were routing to. I looked it up in amAze and it was there, roundabouts and all.
    12-27-08 04:32 PM
    I use amAzeGPS and I agree that it is slow. However, once it is up, it works fine for me with regards to what I expect it to do: navigate me using voice directions. I used to experience the clipped voice directions with amAzeGPS v4.2, but no longer with v4.5. I tried Nav4All but with it's latest version (v4.8.74), I still get clipped voice commands. Also, the biggest draw of amAzeGPS for me is it's price: it is free. If I can get a GPS program that works for me and is free, then I will not use other programs that I admit may be more intuitive but charge me for their use or download. I tried Garmin Mobile, but after the 7-day trial period I uninstalled it from my BB, as I never seriously considered purchasing it. If Nav4All releases a newer version that corrects the sound problems then I will try it out. But once Nav4All starts charging for it's use come 2010, then I will uninstall it from my BB regardless of whether it works for me or not.

Elrohir59
    I can see what you mean that it works fine when it finally starts up (well not in my case) but when I am in my car I just don't feel like fumbling for ten minutes to get a freaking working route in lol.
    01-05-09 06:35 AM
    You could always try TelMap:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/tel...31/index2.html

I will give AmazeGPS another shot and see if it's slow for me as well.
    01-05-09 08:19 AM
    I've had no problems with amaze. Loaded up reasonably fast and got a lock as fast as a standalone sat nav. Brilliant for a free piece of software, especially for turn by turn voice guided directions when driving.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 11:12 AM
    I had a similar problem as another poster with Amaze. For some reason Amaze holds a monopoly on my GPS. Everytime I want to use another GPS app I have to open Amaze (even though it isn't open) then close it for the other apps to find satellites. Really annoying. Personally for now I just prefer using BBmaps for navigation.

May give GPSed and TelMap a try though.

Forgot to mention that I found it very slow when trying to locate new locations. The GUI for finding locations is bad. I like the BBmaps "Find Location" because you can type in a location just like with Google. No commas or anything needed and it is still accurate. Allows for much faster searching.
    08-06-09 03:18 PM
    Amaze is a good program. As time goes by and if they keep improving their application. It will be a choice of many blackberry users. Just give it sometime.
    08-07-09 07:26 AM
    Amaze is amazingly slow. Need to find an alternative.
    08-15-09 02:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD