Everyone seems to say the wifi is so great. I find it's a hassle to always be switching between Internet Browser and Hotspot Browser (why isn't this automatic with preference for wifi?). I don't even find wifi to be much faster, so it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. Also, all my bookmarks are for the Internet Browser and opening them in the Hotspot Browser just switches back to EDGE, another huge annoyance.

What are you guys doing with wifi that makes you think it's so great?
    09-28-09 01:32 AM
    WiFi is definitely faster on average but it still does depend on the Internet connection that feeds the wireless network. If that connection is slower than EDGE then WiFi will be slower than the EDGE connection. The vast majority of the time I would think WiFi is going to be significantly faster than the EDGE connection.

The setting to use either WiFi or EDGE is manual, not automatic and I am happy this is the case. I don't when phones, computers, etc try to change things "automatically" for you depending on what it "thinks" you want it to do. There are reasons why you would want the Browser to use the EDGE connection and not the WiFi connection, even when it is connected and even if the WiFi connection is faster. UMA is one reason for this because when using UMA you can do simultaneous voice and data via the use of both connections.

Bookmarks store the connection you were using when they were saved. That's just a design decision by RIM and follows the same type of logic that the device shouldn't do all sort of crap automatically.
    09-28-09 01:41 AM
    I don't think this is exactly accurate...I never switch to the hotspot browser and when I am connected to wifi its downloading from my wireless network, even in internet browser. If you look at your service status and your BIS connection says wifi then it is always downloading from you wifi no matter which browser you choose. I have confirmed this many times with mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 06:32 AM
    all my bookmarks are for the Internet Browser and opening them in the Hotspot Browser just switches back to EDGE, another huge annoyance.
    You can create two folders in your bookmarks, WIFI and EDGE. Then organize your bookmarks in the appropriate folder as to what type of connection it uses. When I create bookmarks for a website I create one for each connection type. You can change the connection type setting when saving the bookmark.
    As for the speed of wifi, its 3 to 4 times faster for me. Unchecking support javascript will speed things up.
    09-28-09 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD