Can anyone explain a blackberry's "always on technology"? Does that mean it's always sending out signals? Also, what about "packets" of information? I heard that a blackberry sends out a signal to check for messages whereas regular phones just wait for them. Any ideas?
    09-12-09 04:44 PM
    BlackBerry - Partner Press Release

An article about key items for blackberry's technology. I haven't heard about sending signals to check for messages. I will have to look into that.
    09-12-09 05:26 PM
    Yea it does send out signals to look for incoming data...you can tell by the incoming and outgoing arrows that show up by the signal area
    09-12-09 05:33 PM
    It is more a keep alive on the network than anything. The network stays informed that it's still online.
    09-12-09 06:29 PM
    Ok, I'll try to make this simple.

Your BB, in a mode where you are not actively running an app, is a receiver, in the sense of how it exchanges data. It doesn't log in to look for e-mails and such.

The other smartphones do. They use a lot of power reaching out, logging in, searching the system for new info, and logging back out again.

In the BB, you register your e-mail via BlackBerry Internet Service, or BB Enterprise Service, depending on how your device is set up.

Now this is for BIS, which most of us consumer users are using.

When you registered with BIS, they became part of your e-mail chain. BIS is becomes a proxy to your e-mail account, and when mail is sent to you, bam it hits BIS, where the signal is compressed, and sent out or 'pushed' to your device as a packet of information.

When your BB receives this packet of info, it decompresses it, and translates it into a format you can read. Or hear, in the case of voice, or watch, with video.

Now the compression also allows for encryption, because the signal sent is registered to your device, so that your BB is the one that reads it, not everyone elses. This is part of why the security is very effective.

Now, you'll see the arrows come on at various times, usually when an update is pushed to one of your apps. Delivery reports, weather updates, news updates, wireless syncs, messenger statuses, etc, all of these things take place at various times.

Now if you have arrows running constantly, odds are that you have an app open that is transferring data on a regular basis.

By the way, this is very similar to modern military radios, which many do not send out a 'wave' of signal, but rather, a compressed burst of information that is received, deciphered, and turned back into a voice transmission by the receiver. This also makes messages extremely difficult to intercept.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 06:41 PM
    Thank you BergerKing. I understood the "basics" of how the BB & data worked but this explanation filled in the gaps.
    Very well said & done.
    Kudos!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD