I realize that some people say this is not an issue but if "pinch to zoom" is considered a valid patent, what alternatives are there?
    For instance, can a certain swipe gesture become as second nature as "pinch to zoom"?
    For instance, moving from the left frame in toward the centre of the screen with one finger or something similar.
    Let's hear some ideas. Brainstorming time.
    08-28-12 07:30 AM
    Pinch to zoom is a valid patent and RIM has it's own definition of Pinch to zoom, which does not fall under violation of any patent law.
    08-28-12 07:45 AM
    How can you have your own definition of the same thing? It seems to work the same.
    08-28-12 08:04 AM
    Well, the HTC Touch Pro 2 had a "Zoom Bar" right below the display - back in the day where multitouch displays were rather uncommon. You could basicly slide your finger over it to zoom in or out. It worked okay, not too good, but it was usable.

Nokias N900, also without a multitouch display, had a circling gesture. So basicly if you circled your finger clockwise on the display, you could zoom in. Counter-clockwise to zoom out. Worked very well.
    08-28-12 08:20 AM
    I was thinking of the circular gesture too.
    Apparently it isn't needed though.
    08-28-12 08:34 AM
    There are lots of ways to skin a cat!

Tap where you want to zoom and then a slider appears for zoom in or zoom out. Press and hold until a zoom requester appears. Circle left zoom out circle right zoom in. Triple tap for a set zoom. Quad tap for a different set zoom. Think outside the apple distortion field. How about manufacturers give me the power to decide how my interface on my personal device works?
    08-28-12 08:54 AM
    Apple's pinch to zoom patent is actually very specific. It details how finger positions correlate before and after the zoom happens. It's very easy to skirt around this particular patent.
    08-28-12 09:12 AM
    People is still talking about this? Apple really have a lot of people scared. Lol oh boy
    08-28-12 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD