I have a friend in Montana (I live in Kansas). We have been keeping in touch throughout our days via text messages. I have an unlimited texting plan, but she does not have that option.

We both have Blackberries and we were looking through all the apps that are on there... are there any of those that can be used to keep in contact throughout the day without texting charges?

We have AIM, Messenger, Yahoo messenger, ICQ, etc... I know how those work on a PC, but never used them on a phone. Do they work like texting? or do you have to be logged in via the phone to use them?

Any other alternatives out there to keep in touch with someone without the texting charges?
    07-03-10 08:44 AM
    If you both have dataplans then BBM is yoru answer. It's free.
    07-03-10 08:49 AM
    Blackberry messenger of course! Just have her give you her pin (options/advanced options/status) then you add it to ur messenger contact list. I think its better than texting actually.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 08:50 AM
    All the IM programs (aim, yahoo, msn, gtalk, etc.) work great, even better than texting, imo. Besides, they use data, not the phone/voice portion of the service. Bbm is wonderful, too.
    07-03-10 09:17 AM
    Wow, never even thought of BBM. So there are no texting charges for that?

We both have data plans as far as I know... will check into that. Thank you
    07-03-10 10:39 AM
    BBM is definitely the way to go. It should already be installed on your BBs, and you can have it save chat history if you want. Plus, it's free with your data plan. It'll give you the chance to text (without SMS size limits), share photos, even voice notes and video.
    07-03-10 10:39 AM
    The original BlackBerry Messenger is installed on every BlackBerry.

There is an new and much improved BlackBerry Messenger available to download from BlackBerry App World.
    07-03-10 10:45 AM
    You can also use email. And Gmail is polled almost instantly so if you both had gmail accounts, it is almost like texting, I suspect. Other email accounts are polled less frequently.

I don't have a texting allowance, I had to remind friends to use email if they wanted to "text" me.
    07-03-10 10:54 AM
    If you have her email address you can add her to BBM using that. I use Yahoo Messenger for friends not on a Blackberry. It works great. You can also email or send messages via PIN once you have her PIN number. Have her send you an email and tell her to type m y p I n (without the spaces). It will automatically change it to her PIN.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 11:25 AM
    BBM is great or she can get Google Voice.
    07-03-10 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD