I'm doing alot of preliminary research before I get an 8330, but currently my situation is this: I have a PPC6800, which, for GPS, is AMAZING. The aGPS gets terrific signal, warms up quickly, and no hassle through the carrier and I use Garmin Mobile XT. However, as a phone, it sucks.

I'm looking to get a Blackberry as a replacement (because, unfortunately, I do need a phone that functions properly as a phone), but I was curious as to what Blackberry is the best for me. I don't know if any of them have it but I'd like GPS that doesn't rely on a data network (similar to that of my 6800, whose GPS chip functions independently of the data service). Also on that note, provided there is such a Blackberry on Alltel's network, is it better to go with Alltel's ~$10/month service, or buy Garmin for Blackberry?

Thanks
    09-05-08 01:29 PM
    One option for true autonomous GPS is an external puck. There are several models available from the crackberry store. I have the Freedom Keychain 2000. It works well.

I believe all Blackberry's have the same Assisted-GPS internal chipset. If so, they should all have about the same performance.
    09-05-08 02:27 PM
    So, hypothetically, if I shelled out for Garmin for Blackberry, would it still have to use the data connection, or would it strictly use the onboard GPS? I'm still a little unclear on this. It doesn't matter price-wise, as Smart Choice (Alltel) has infinite data, but it seems like, since the maps would be stored on the memory card (If garmin for Blackberry works the same way that my Garmin Mobile XT works for my 6800), it would only have to use the onboard GPS to pickup satellites.

Thanks again,
    Jordan
    09-06-08 11:21 AM
    Did you ever get an answer to this? I am in the same boat right now, would be pleased to pay the $100 garmin fee if it actually works as a standalone. Any help?
    03-25-09 01:03 PM
    I am fairly certain the Garmin needs DATA. It does NOT come with maps that you load on an SD card - so it needs to grab the maps as you move along. I think I read on this/another forum that someone was disappointed that in a remote area with NO DATA, that the Garmin app did not work.

Now, what I'm not sure about is if, once it has calculated a route, if it can continue to function with only a gps readings but no additional data (unless you stray from its route). In other words, it would continue to say LEFT, right, straight, etc but not show updated maps of where you are. One of the freebie programs does something like that once it has a route (using data), it will keep you on it without data unless you stray.
    03-25-09 02:52 PM
    I used the Garmin GPS app for a while. It does not work the same way as the Garmin Mobile XT. It does not store any maps on the media card. Maps are downloaded in real time over the cellular network. Without a cell signal, it will be useless. I don't have it currently installed, so I can't check F2's route hypothesis. It has a free 7-day trial, so anyone change check it out risk free.
    03-25-09 05:15 PM
    I had it installed on my alltel 8330 about 6 months ago. I paid the 99 dollars and it was an awesome app!! It worked for about 2 hours, then simply stopped. I called garmin tech support and they informed me that it does not work on the alltel phones and he offered to return my money. He told me they are working with alltel to get it fixed. Since I already paid the 99 dollars, I opted to just wait for a fix since it is a lifetime purchase instead of a refund which they did offer to me. I figured I would wait until verizon takes over and if it still doesn't work then, I will ask for a refund. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 05:44 PM
    I've got the BB STORM with the Garmin mobile trial. I've used a number of BB navigation apps and all suffer from the same short-coming. When you are in a spot that really needs the GPS, you cell signal is week. Consequently, the phone can't get a good GPS location and the software fails. I had a treo with TOMTOM and the remote GPS, that seemed to work better, but it stored the maps on the phone. I was thinking of that option with GARMIN, but since it downloads the maps - I think I'm stuck. Bottom line: if you're mostly in locations with excellent cell coverage, this product is probably ok, but I've been frustrated too many time with it to use it to replace a stand-alone GPS.
    08-17-09 11:12 PM
    An add-on to my prior note: I tried the Garmin Mobile on my Storm and was disappointed with it. Multiple times it didn't have a strong enough signal to find me and just hung. From the same location I shut it down and brought up TELENAV and it did a much better job. Telenav uses the built in GPS and cell tower better than Garmin. It will notifiy you when it's lost contact with one or the other but keeps going, the Garmin would hang.
    08-29-09 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD