Rumor Mill: BlackBerry Storm 3 to Run QNX

?

Adjust text size: ? ?

November*11th,*2010,*16:41*GMT|*By*Ionut*Arghire

?

?Canadian mobile phone maker Research in Motion is reportedly getting ready to bring to the market a new device that would run under the QNX OS, namely the BlackBerry Storm 3.

The latest rumors around the Internet suggest that the yet unannounced smartphone would arrive on shelves in the not too far future with the said software solution on board, and not with the BlackBerry OS, as previously expected.

? The QNX OS, in case there are some who did not encountered it before, is the platform that RIM chose to power its first tablet PC, the BlackBerry PlayBook.

When the new device was unveiled, some suggested that the leading smartphone designer would plans moving its entire future handset lineup to the new platform, and it appears that the soon-to-come BlackBerry Storm 3 might be among the first devices to suffer this treatment.

Moreover, rumor has it that the new Strom device won't arrive on shelves with SurePress technology, as its predecessors did.

Not to mention that the new device is expected to include all of the features necessary for running the new QNX OS, including a minimum 1Ghz processor, as well as 8GB of ROM space and 1GB of RAM, a recent article on Gizmo Fusion reads.

At the same time, the upcoming BlackBerry Storm device from RIM is expected to sport a 3.7-inch touchscreen display.

This is not the first time we learn on the near availability of BlackBerry Storm 3, nor when rumors on QNX emerge, though they seem to be gaining more substance as the release date for the new device approaches.

Of course, there are still a wide range of details to be unveiled both on the smartphone and on RIM's plans for the QNX OS.

In the meantime, however, we'll take the info on Storm 3's launch with this platform on board with a grain of salt, though we hope that they pan out in the end.

Follow the editor on Twitter @sof

Copyr

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jcblckbry; 11-15-10 at 07:23 PM.
    11-15-10 07:20 PM
    Blech!

How can you read, let alone repost, that regurgitated garbage? I'm subscribed to a Google Storm3 news feed, and every night my inbox is filled like the same poorly executed English mish-mash you just posted. Maybe 1 of 20 hits is a worthwhile article. The ones like this I believe are simply trying to feed off the Storm3 "frenzy" (is it a frenzy yet?) to build up website clicks or maybe ad revenue. Some are cut-n-pastes of legit websites, but most are like what you posted and often filled with errors and poor assumptions. At least this guy bothered ten times to remind us everything he wrote is rumored.

What part did you object to?
    11-15-10 07:46 PM
    Another poorly written article based on speculation from a month or so ago.

That said, IF it were true, where is the letdown? Doesn't mow the lawn for you? Only disappointment I see is the lack of SurePress.

11-15-10 07:48 PM
    Another poorly written article based on speculation from a month or so ago.

That said, IF it were true, where is the letdown? Doesn't mow the lawn for you? Only disappointment I see is the lack of SurePress.

The let down is the surepress. Its just everytime rim makes a new device they remove the good. I was hoping for all the good in the storm 2 and more to go into the 3.

11-15-10 08:08 PM
    Blech!

How can you read, let alone repost, that regurgitated garbage? I'm subscribed to a Google Storm3 news feed, and every night my inbox is filled like the same poorly executed English mish-mash you just posted. Maybe 1 of 20 hits is a worthwhile article. The ones like this I believe are simply trying to feed off the Storm3 "frenzy" (is it a frenzy yet?) to build up website clicks or maybe ad revenue. Some are cut-n-pastes of legit websites, but most are like what you posted and often filled with errors and poor assumptions. At least this guy bothered ten times to remind us everything he wrote is rumored.

I object to taking a good thing out....why not just leave a good thing alone and just add to it, make it better. In everything I read about RIM is that there behind and change the wrong things without adding or changing the right things.

11-15-10 08:11 PM
    Blech!

Also I posted it because its a opion, I saw it and shared it...thus the point of crackberry. You subscribe to get this info. If its garbage as you say, then why bother having it mailed to you...

11-15-10 08:18 PM
    Garbage or not, you know there is a proper section for it right?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f223/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/
    11-15-10 08:40 PM
    i would really miss the surepress but i am really thinking RIM will do away with it. Using my incredible for 7 months now and i am not going to miss it as much.
    11-15-10 09:47 PM
    How often do you mess with your 9550 still, Matt? I sold mine already. I figured, since I'm getting used to this phone, I couldn't spend too much time with the former.
    11-15-10 10:05 PM
    Well, I certainly have mixed feelings about SurePress. It's one of the main selling points for me and I love it. However, I also understand why RIM might get rid of it. The trend in phones is thinner and lighter and SurePress adds thickness and weight. There are two reasons right off the bat. Then there's the whole issue of trying to draw in traditional touch screen buyers. Then there's the other biggie, which is reducing moving/failure prone parts. And finally, it is a cost savings. So unfortunately for us, RIM would have more reasons to ditch it than we would have to keep it.

So, while I will miss it and I'm disappointed, I'm hoping that RIM will make up for it in other ways. They will have to make the rest of the device VERY compelling to keep the SurePress fans.
    11-15-10 11:28 PM
    The let down is the surepress. Its just everytime rim makes a new device they remove the good. I was hoping for all the good in the storm 2 and more to go into the 3.
    i would really miss the surepress but i am really thinking RIM will do away with it. Using my incredible for 7 months now and i am not going to miss it as much.
    Wow, you guys really do live in a Blackberry-centric world. Do the surepress lovers here at least realize/acknowledge that there is nearly universal dislike, even hatred for this "unusual" clickscreen technology or is that fact generally verbotten in the Storm
    forum sections here at Crackberry? If you go in any cellphone store and ask about the Storm the sales agents will usually make a weird face and say "that's the touchscreen phone that, um, clicks..."

Just wondering if some realize why RIM may have good reasons to be thinking clickfree with the next Storm iteration (even if you happen to like surepress for some reason).
    Last edited by mojosingle; 11-27-10 at 10:20 AM.
    11-27-10 10:15 AM
    ESome people actually prefer it. Does that offend you? I can care less about either, but surepress is a reason why storm owners bought the device
    11-27-10 10:20 AM
    If the next one isn't sure press I am not buying it. Whether you know it or not the majority of people prefer that feature. It even won an award for most innovative technology. I never want to go back to a purely touch screen. I like the having to confirm selections and no accidental pushing of buttons and sending of emails.

11-27-10 11:04 AM
    Wow, you guys really do live in a Blackberry-centric world. Do the surepress lovers here at least realize/acknowledge that there is nearly universal dislike, even hatred for this "unusual" clickscreen technology or is that fact generally verbotten in the Storm
    forum sections here at Crackberry? If you go in any cellphone store and ask about the Storm the sales agents will usually make a weird face and say "that's the touchscreen phone that, um, clicks..."

Just wondering if some realize why RIM may have good reasons to be thinking clickfree with the next Storm iteration (even if you happen to like surepress for some reason).
    If the next one isn't sure press I am not buying it. Whether you know it or not the majority of people prefer that feature. It even won an award for most innovative technology. I never want to go back to a purely touch screen. I like the having to confirm selections and no accidental pushing of buttons and sending of emails.

Exactly its a awesome innovation and i loved it. I still to this day can type faster with the storm 2 and suretype. The spelling is very accurate and i can fly. In fact still faster than i can "type". I say that because i have ultra keyboard with swype basically so there is no real typing. I have never been able to type on my incredible like the storm 1 and 2 though. surepress and the suretype keyboard are a fantastic combo that i think many storm owners really like.
    11-27-10 11:46 AM
    Whether there are people or not who prefer surepress, the simple facts of the matter is that there are far more people who are perfectly happy to type on an ordinary touchscreen than would refuse to buy one without surepress and secondly removing surepress removes another point of potential mechanical failure and thus potentially reducing the return rate of faulty devices, in both cases killing off surepress makes good financial sense for Rim.
    11-27-10 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD