Really, on a universal view, don't all smart phone essentially do the same things?

Make phone calls, browse the web, maintain contacts, calender, calculator, take still or motion pictures, etc...

The only apparent thing (OS,wise) that sets them apart seems to be what you see, (the home page), to activate those various functions.

Michaelaw
    06-15-12 06:18 AM
    There's more to it than that. What you see on the home page is just one part of the UI, which is just one part of the OS, which is just one part of the smartphone.

How does the phone handle multitasking? How secure is it? How configurable is it? How complete is its notification system? How does it handle text entry? Does it support various kinds of email attachments? Uploads and downloads to and from web sites? How stable is it? How easy is to to interrupt and resume things you're doing?

The answers aren't the same for all smartphones.
    pantlesspenguin and Mr.Monty like this.
    06-15-12 06:31 AM
    They are not !! Every platform has it's own ups and downs , like : BB is the most secure , but has a small quantity of apps(OS7) , while the iPhone has too much apps , but not as secure as a BB , and not custumisable at all (unless it's jailbroken), android is the most custumisable of them all but almost has no security at all . There is much more than that , what I said was just a Demonstration about some things .

Sent from my A$$ Kickin Berry using Tapatalk
    06-15-12 06:50 AM
    Really, on a universal view, don't all smart phone essentially do the same things?

Make phone calls, browse the web, maintain contacts, calender, calculator, take still or motion pictures, etc...

The only apparent thing (OS,wise) that sets them apart seems to be what you see, (the home page), to activate those various functions.

Michaelaw
    After reading this again , you have a point , but not so accurate , yes they do the same stuff , but every phone has it's own way of doing it .

Sent from my A$$ Kickin Berry using Tapatalk
    06-15-12 06:52 AM
    In their basic, stock configuration, Yes. They pretty much all do the same things.
    06-15-12 07:04 AM
    Yes I guess in a way they all do the same/similar things, but some do some things better than others and vice versa. Some accomplish things differently than others. In the end it boils down to how the total device works for you and fits your needs.
    06-15-12 07:07 AM
    when you say security...
    even i don't dl too much unknown apps, there is still security issue with andriod?
    06-15-12 07:57 AM
    I have never had a security issue with Android.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    06-15-12 08:04 AM
    when you say security...
    even i don't dl too much unknown apps, there is still security issue with andriod?
    The Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have the same FIPS cert that the BB 7 phones have, so there are at least some Android phones capable of security certifications.
    06-15-12 08:28 AM

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    I would have to ask, how do you know? That is like saying, I don't have a door on my house but no one has ever entered without my knowledge.
    janeka likes this.
    06-15-12 08:47 AM
    To the OP. You are right in the same way a snowmobile and a unicycle move a person from one place to another. However, those differences could be enormous if you are stuck in the back woods during a blizzard.

If I'm in a Haitian earthquake, I want a BlackBerry not an iPhone.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-rec...relief-efforts
    06-15-12 08:55 AM
    I would have to ask, how do you know? That is like saying, I don't have a door on my house but no one has ever entered without my knowledge.
    LOL.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    06-15-12 08:59 AM

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    I would suspect to you remote location tracking isn't considered a security threat,
    Where to some it is,
    Those Nike ipod integrated shoes are an example of a product one would not consider a security threat, but infact if you are someone who's potentially targetted to be followed they are basically retail becons easily hacked remotely to give 100m location detection.

Android phones give out far more data out of the box in terms of location services, though the remote tracking can't be done as easily by a hobbiest,
    06-15-12 09:02 AM
    As a universal view YES all smartphones mostly do the same thing, just as all jackets essentially do the same thing of covering your body, but they way they work can greatly determin their effectiveness for the occation.

As a Multiplatform user I can assure you they are very different animals, how you interact with your devices is partially dictated by the device functions, on one platform that isn't BB, I have discovered that the phone commands my attention at the most basic of tasks, the device begs to be looked at, from screen to screen you must look to find the next function, where as a BB doesn't require this, it naturally gets you to the next function and facilitates the desired operation

If you are making but a few phones calls requiring extensions in a day, you don't notice, or only getting 1 or 2 voicemails again not to notice, but the little differences sure stack up as it gets busy.

So for the basic task of covering up, any jacket will do, but if your task is to stay warm in -40, or to look stylish at a wedding the same jacket will not suffice
    06-15-12 09:09 AM
    I think the OP was talking about basic functions, not what one phone can do thanks to an OS or not.

So yes, essentially they are all the same when it comes to basic functions such as phone calls, texts, web browsing, available apps & emailing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-15-12 09:21 AM
    All everythings do more or less the same thing. The devil's in the details.

...Though, I'm sure in most cases, most anything would serve your purpose and people are just nitpicky.
    Last edited by itmccb; 06-15-12 at 09:30 AM.
    06-15-12 09:24 AM
    The OP is the same person who started the "Tough Decisions" thread, which included the assertion that "RIM must adopt Android, Ice Cream Sandwich in order to save the phone." I see this thread as a continuation of that position.

I think the reasoning is something along these lines: BBOS is failing and BB10 is a "headache." Android is successful. Therefore BBs should use Android and since all smartphones do the same things anyway, nothing would be lost by doing so.

Personally I reject this reasoning, but I think this is where the OP is going with it.
    06-15-12 09:29 AM
    And let's not forget that just because one platform excels at a given task, it doesn't mean that the others are inept at said task.

Prime example is multimedia. It's generally accepted that iPhone is very good at multimedia consumption while BB isn't. When in fact, multimedia is not only possible on a BB it can be quite good.

Probably not as good as the competition but certainly good enough if it is a secondary priority.

The same applies to other features on all platforms. This was just one example that came to mind.
    06-15-12 09:31 AM
    They basically do the same thing. And I believe most consumers use their devices in the same manner no matter what device they have. Many of the people I associate with buy devices based on capabilities/specs, but not what the they use it for or need. So end the end, the new device on a different platform really didn't benefit them one way or the other. This is just my perspective of the small circle of people I know. But I would guess that many others are the same.
    06-15-12 09:40 AM
    Basically at their core, yeah, the four major smartphone types- iPhones, Android based, Windows based, and Blackberries do pretty much the same things. The interface may vary slightly and certain functions work slightly better or more efficiently on one platform over another, but most of the differences are really just nitpicking.

If you buy a top of the line smartphone, that is something that would sell for $400+ or $100-$200+ with a subsidized contract, you have to expect you are getting a pretty good device no matter what the platform at this point.

Its all about preference. I prefer things that will matter to me every single day- a real hardware QWERTY keyboard to type on, a good strong battery, good reception/signal, and I have also grown accustomed to how things work on Blackberries, so that is my phone of choice. Not knocking the other platforms, but Blackberry just gives me the things I will use every day and really take for granted.
    06-15-12 10:05 AM
    I have my blackberry to text, email, and bbm, which it does wonderfully. I use my larger screen android device to do more surfing, and I have my galaxy tab (sorry, PB was not yet out when I bought it) for more serious surfing. All the devices can do it, but they all have their niche.
    06-15-12 06:07 PM
    One thing I like that every smartphone platform has now that I think just made BBM even more irrelevant is Whats App. Its actually an excellent cross platform messaging app that allows for picture, video, and its surprisingly fast.

In recent years I have tried out Pingchat (now Touch) and Kik (which RIM pulled from the app world), but Whats App is far superior to any of them. Its like BBM for everyone, not just BB users.
    06-15-12 06:11 PM

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    So says someone who wears Adidas, but it looks as though you made the right call in regards to Nike.

I would suspect to you remote location tracking isn't considered a security threat, Where to some it is, Those Nike ipod integrated shoes are an example of a product one would not consider a security threat, but infact if you are someone who's potentially targetted to be followed they are basically retail becons easily hacked remotely to give 100m location detection.

Android phones give out far more data out of the box in terms of location services, though the remote tracking can't be done as easily by a hobbiest,
    06-16-12 11:38 AM
    So says someone who wears Adidas, but it looks as though you made the right call in regards to Nike.
    My Adidas kicks secure my ankles perfectly.
    06-16-12 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD