Here's a few thoughts.

What if RIM provides all the content that you could receive through Netflix without actually having to subscribe to Netflix?

This would require RIM striking deals with content providers, launching an itunes like store, and launching a way for the user to stream videos through a native app. All of which are possible. RIM would of course charge a small fee for this or it could be the service fee margin compression referred to on the recent earnings call.

I would like to here your thoughts on this or just the possibility of a RIM music/movie store.

Thanks
    12-28-12 12:59 PM
    BlackBerry World will have music and movies available for purchase/rent at launch for BB10.

What makes Netlflix "special" is it's cheap (only $8 a month) for unlimited streaming. No need to download the file (which is how BlackBerry World movie store front will work).
    12-28-12 01:05 PM
    I've been thinking the same thing as well. If they launch something like BBM Music but for movies,they could have a lot of success.
    12-28-12 01:08 PM
    This idea was mentioned a long time ago now. Thought admittedly, I cannot recall exactly when.

RIM creates their own UI, but pulls the required data from, as an example, Netflix. This could also apply to Skype. Maybe the frame work for Skype will be built into BBM video chat? BB10 may not launch with a Skype app per say. But, you'll be able to call all your Skype contacts from within BBM.

I recall Thor also saying something to effect of, there are people out there who do things better then we do. We'd consider licensing agreements in those situations. I submit the back in time camera feature as an example.

My 2 cents. I'm just guessing like everyone else.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    gokulesh and BB Fightclub like this.
    12-28-12 02:15 PM
    No need to guess....BLACKBERRY WORLD WILL HAVE MUSIC AND MOVIES
    ltcbfan likes this.
    12-28-12 02:36 PM
    No need to guess....BLACKBERRY WORLD WILL HAVE MUSIC AND MOVIES
    Well, Playbook has those now. I think the OP was referring to streaming for $8 a month, not buying or renting individual videos.
    12-28-12 04:24 PM
    Laughable and utterly unrealistic. Netflix spends more on licensing in a year than RIM has cash.

If you have Apple or Amazon money, you can invest in building your own content ecosystem as a way to sell additional devices. If you're a cash weak company coming to a space 7 years after everyone else, you don't focus your energy on an area that is at odds with your core competency.

That's why RIM has partners with others for its media stores. Even Google has struggled to get its rental and download store competive with the likes of Apple, Microsoft, Sony and Amazon -- mostly because they waited so long.

More over, creating a subscription streaming business, in addition to costing billions that RIM doesn't have (seriously, Netflix spends BILLIONS licensing content each year), makes no sense if you're a cell phone company. Amazon, Apple, Google and Microsoft have much more diversified revenue streams.

If RIM can't convince Netflix to support BB10, the solution isn't to build a Netflix competitor, it's to pay Netflx to make the app and pay for any and all customer support costs (because that's the real reason Netflix won't just make an app -- it needs to make sure the number of potential customers is worth the cost of adding another platform to the support ecosystem. That's what costs money.)
    CairnsRock and Roo Zilla like this.
    12-28-12 10:04 PM
    This doesn't make sense, at all. The simplest solution is a Netflix app, from Netflix. You're basically saying, let's make a circle using lots and lots of squares. Just making a circle the normal way is simple.
    TommyBB and Roo Zilla like this.
    12-28-12 10:16 PM
    Netflix spends more on licensing in a year than RIM has cash.

That's actually not true. I think the 2012 estimate was around 1.1 billion in licensing fee's. Not sure what the actual is, but what you said is incorrect.
    loc5 likes this.
    12-28-12 10:22 PM
    This idea was mentioned a long time ago now. Thought admittedly, I cannot recall exactly when.

RIM creates their own UI, but pulls the required data from, as an example, Netflix. This could also apply to Skype. Maybe the frame work for Skype will be built into BBM video chat? BB10 may not launch with a Skype app per say. But, you'll be able to call all your Skype contacts from within BBM.

I recall Thor also saying something to effect of, there are people out there who do things better then we do. We'd consider licensing agreements in those situations. I submit the back in time camera feature as an example.

My 2 cents. I'm just guessing like everyone else.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Agreed, licensing from someone better sounds like a great idea - and it is in most cases. However, like the timeshift camera feature you mentioned, you become dependent and at risk of getting screwed over...
    12-28-12 10:42 PM
    I am pretty certain that Playon will be on BlackBerry10. Playon gives you a host of TV shows, movies and access to Netflix along with Hulu +

www.Playon.tv

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-28-12 11:18 PM
    I am pretty certain that Playon will be on BlackBerry10. Playon gives you a host of TV shows, movies and access to Netflix along with Hulu +

PlayOn lets you watch movies, shows, live sports and more from over 35 channels like Hulu, Netflix, Comedy Central, PBS on your TV with your Wii, PS3, Roku, Xbox, and more. | PlayOn

does the Android port work on the PlayBook (if you know)?
    12-29-12 10:17 AM
    That's actually not true. I think the 2012 estimate was around 1.1 billion in licensing fee's. Not sure what the actual is, but what you said is incorrect.
    Licensing fee estimates for 2012 is about $2B. They pay Disney $200M alone.
    12-29-12 10:40 AM
    Netflix is barely making money off that content with customers paying $8 per month. Amazon isn't making a lot either with their content. Licensing movies and media content isn't cheap and it hasn't been shown to be extremely profitable yet. So I don't think RIM should get into this line of business.
    12-29-12 10:40 AM
    Actually, the NetFlix outage over Christmas was shown to be a problem with Amazon. NetFlix is just a re-seller. Strike a deal with Amazon and build an interface.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    ltcbfan likes this.
    12-29-12 12:38 PM

PlayOn lets you watch movies, shows, live sports and more from over 35 channels like Hulu, Netflix, Comedy Central, PBS on your TV with your Wii, PS3, Roku, Xbox, and more. | PlayOn
    You need a Windows box to run the software and most likely, your PC will need to be on constantly for use.
    12-29-12 12:55 PM
    Netflix is barely making money off that content with customers paying $8 per month. Amazon isn't making a lot either with their content. Licensing movies and media content isn't cheap and it hasn't been shown to be extremely profitable yet. So I don't think RIM should get into this line of business.
    Agreed. The OP hasn't done any research.
    12-29-12 12:57 PM
    does the Android port work on the PlayBook (if you know)?
    No idea about Android port I just remember seeing a post by Bla1ze that suggested playon would be a part of BlackBerry10

His post ended with "playon playa" lol

12-29-12 12:59 PM
    Actually, the NetFlix outage over Christmas was shown to be a problem with Amazon. NetFlix is just a re-seller. Strike a deal with Amazon and build an interface.
    Not true. Netflix uses Amazon's cloud services and that went down. Netflix is not a reseller for Amazon content.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/te...ting.html?_r=0
    12-29-12 01:00 PM
    You need a Windows box to run the software and most likely, your PC will need to be on constantly for use.
    Currently this would be the case but I think RIM is implementing this in BlackBerry10 so that one wouldn't need to do all that. I guess Jan 30th we will see. One thing is certain they will have content available to consumers some way some how.

12-29-12 01:02 PM
    In theory, it'd be great if they had a RIM App named, "MovieBerry" or something, for subscribing, rather than their system they rolled out in Canada; where you buy a movie as if it's a DVD, without the physical aspects... obviously. Although it will cost virtually the same price as a physical DVD.. or more. If they brought a subscription service, it would be great. Just think about the time it'd take and the money it'd cost: they'd have to pay for movies, hire staff to manage the store and to update it regularly, etc. RIM have a lot on their plate, and this is the same reason why they haven't got their own music store.

Jumping back, it would be great if they had a movie subscription service named something like "MovieBerry."
    12-29-12 01:23 PM
    Maybe RIM doesn't need to build their own ecosystem, but they do need to make sure that consumers CAN access content in whatever way they want to do it!

Personally if RIM has a BB10 Direct TV App and a Netflix App I'll have everything I need. But if they don't... what will I have to do? Have a dedicate computer at home that RE-STREAMS content out? I'm sure that most consumers are going to want to do that.

RIM needs Netflix - Pay them to build an app and support it for a year, if BB10 becomes popular then they will continue to support it after that, if not.. it won't matter.

Go out and make sure that most of the large Satellite and Cable Operators have apps that will work with BB10. Don't set back and just hope the will!

RIM says they need partners, well then need to be proactive and go out and get them. I'm happy to see the the Kindle App is "suppose" to be on BB10, that will go a long way towards Book content.
    12-29-12 03:16 PM
    What about RedBox Instant? But it's only on Verizon...
    12-30-12 08:35 AM
    Maybe they can come to an agreement with Netflix to use their data and have the BB devices access it through a native BB10 app. So BB10 devices hook into the api or web service that Netflix apps themselves hook into.
    12-30-12 10:09 AM
    Maybe RIM doesn't need to build their own ecosystem, but they do need to make sure that consumers CAN access content in whatever way they want to do it!

Personally if RIM has a BB10 Direct TV App and a Netflix App I'll have everything I need. But if they don't... what will I have to do? Have a dedicate computer at home that RE-STREAMS content out? I'm sure that most consumers are going to want to do that.

RIM needs Netflix - Pay them to build an app and support it for a year, if BB10 becomes popular then they will continue to support it after that, if not.. it won't matter.

Go out and make sure that most of the large Satellite and Cable Operators have apps that will work with BB10. Don't set back and just hope the will!

RIM says they need partners, well then need to be proactive and go out and get them. I'm happy to see the the Kindle App is "suppose" to be on BB10, that will go a long way towards Book content.
    In a worse case scenario, you can access Netflix through the browser. You can be 1000% sure it will work.
    12-30-12 10:11 AM
34 12