Because they sell at x pricing, retail , individually, does not mean that the cost isn't factored into the " free" argument going on here. It DOESN'T cost $ 159. 00 to manufacture. Apple like many manufacturers margins on accessories are huge. They make a lot more on the replacement of accessories than devices. Do you also think that the iPhone costs anywhere near their retail price? If you do, you need to rethink that.

Posted via CB10
    Even if you accounted for the industry standard markup from cost to profit, a $159 retail item would still bump the price noticeably even if they only took manufacturing cost into consideration. I'm no fan of Apple myself and never buy their products (for reasons not germane to this discussion), but some concepts are easy to understand. Apple is selling their devices at a competitive price point. And throwing in accessories moreso than any other OEM. Do you see Blackberry, Samsung, HTC, LG, Huawei, etc... tossing in a $159 retail item with the purchase of any of their devices (well actually Samsung is jumping on the train with the complimentary VR offerings)? Nope. They don't.

And, most importantly... Apple deviated from their classic business model of locking you into their hardware, and didn't make their wireless AirPods proprietary. Meaning you can use those same earbuds with any BT enabled device. As well you can still use any 3rd party BT headsets with the iPhone7. Which is a HUGE separation from their usual practices.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 09-19-16 at 04:32 PM.
    09-19-16 04:22 PM
    just to be clear, we are talking about the 3.5 mm jack dongle being thrown in for free not the airbuds....
    Jerry A and TGR1 like this.
    09-19-16 04:49 PM
    I have listened to music using noise cancellation headphones with a BlackBerry and an iPhone I find that the sound quality from BlackBerry is better then apple. I'm not a music junkie but I do appreciate music!
    09-19-16 05:14 PM
    Welcome to the new CrackBerry, where you can see more love for non-BB android phones as well as iOS.
    Yup! And that's a damn shame...

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    09-19-16 06:49 PM
    just out of curiosity, what kind of music you listen? (try to see what is the ultra high and low frequency coverage of the DX80 and its balance overall). thanks.
    Jazz and classical. DX80 does a good job for me and it is not expensive when you are "that" serious about the music you listen. Something a mobile phone will not offer, YMMV ....
    09-19-16 08:35 PM
    Welcome to the new CrackBerry, where you can see more love for non-BB android phones as well as iOS.
    Yup! And that's a damn shame...
    You see, the number of BB users just gets less and less and new users even less. Love loss is just relative, people just moved on ....
    09-19-16 08:41 PM
    Even if you accounted for the industry standard markup from cost to profit, a $159 retail item would still bump the price noticeably even if they only took manufacturing cost into consideration. I'm no fan of Apple myself and never buy their products (for reasons not germane to this discussion), but some concepts are easy to understand. Apple is selling their devices at a competitive price point. And throwing in accessories moreso than any other OEM. Do you see Blackberry, Samsung, HTC, LG, Huawei, etc... tossing in a $159 retail item with the purchase of any of their devices (well actually Samsung is jumping on the train with the complimentary VR offerings)? Nope. They don't.

And, most importantly... Apple deviated from their classic business model of locking you into their hardware, and didn't make their wireless AirPods proprietary. Meaning you can use those same earbuds with any BT enabled device. As well you can still use any 3rd party BT headsets with the iPhone7. Which is a HUGE separation from their usual practices.
    Really?
    The launch videos i saw said the Airpods were proprieraty! It angered me a lot.

From the looks of it, the Lightning port has resulted in slight degradation of quality over the 3.5mm

Also I always found the Z10 to be quite underwhelming for music. it was too quiet.
    09-20-16 05:13 AM
    Really?
    The launch videos i saw said the Airpods were proprieraty! It angered me a lot.

From the looks of it, the Lightning port has resulted in slight degradation of quality over the 3.5mm

Also I always found the Z10 to be quite underwhelming for music. it was too quiet.
    They're still Bluetooth. The only thing proprietary is the pairing process.
    darkehawke and TGR1 like this.
    09-20-16 06:39 AM
    They're still Bluetooth. The only thing proprietary is the pairing process.
    Ah cheers for clearing that up for me!
    09-20-16 07:38 AM
    Ah cheers for clearing that up for me!
    No problem.
    09-20-16 07:39 AM
    Jazz and classical. DX80 does a good job for me and it is not expensive when you are "that" serious about the music you listen. Something a mobile phone will not offer, YMMV ....
    thx. i am the denon type.... switched to sony after it dead for a year, not happy about it (classical only). BB9860 was the only one i am somewhat happy about its sound. very picky too. thx again.
    09-20-16 12:15 PM
    You see, the number of BB users just gets less and less and new users even less. Love loss is just relative, people just moved on ....
    This is still Crackberry! I don't hate on those that have made the switch...

Just don't diss those of us (no matter how few) that love BlackBerry 10

TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-20-16 06:18 PM
    Off topic, but when talking about smartphones' audio capabilities, I think the LG V20 is very promising. Not that I don't think that BlackBerry 10 devices were not good, I personally love how my Z30 powers my Alessandro MS1i headphone back when I was still using that Z30.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-20-16 06:42 PM
    This is still Crackberry! I don't hate on those that have made the switch...

Just don't diss those of us (no matter how few) that love BlackBerry 10

Cant hate those who still love BB10

Just hate on those who makes up nonsense in their fanatical pursuit of BB10.
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-21-16 04:21 AM
    I just learned that leaving BT on all the time helps those wifi grocery /department store trackers access your info from your phone.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-01-16 04:57 PM
    I just learned that leaving BT on all the time helps those wifi grocery /department store trackers access your info from your phone.
    I am constantly amazed at family & friends who leave their radios running all the time. Wifi and BT. For instance family members who are on a daylong road trip who have wifi running the whole time. Or a weekend at the cottage & BT is constantly on. Simple rule if you're not using it, turn it off.

Anyway I may have misunderstood you here, so forgive me if so, & I'm not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think what they are gathering is not so much information from your phone (which would be tricky not to mention being an invasion of privacy) but information about your phone: ie tracking information. What kind of phone you have, what aisle you spent the most time in, that sort of thing.

Course it would be awful to find out it's much worse than that.

In any case, as my mum used to say when I was a kid: "If you're not using it, turn it off!"
    Good advice.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-01-16 07:37 PM
    Anyway... all these arguments about the missing headphone jack is pointless. Apple will never bring it back.

In a couple of years... all manufacturers would had removed their headphone jack and Apple would been seen in the industry as an innovator and visionary... all that cause of a 100 years old jack.
    Apple is the only company that can take away a standard feature and fool everyone into believing it's for the better of all mankind. No seriously I use and like my old school headphone jack. Why not keep the jack there is still tons of good case uses for a headphone jack. Until a smartphone evolves so much that there is no physical room for a old school headphone jack they should remain. That's just what I think and will purchase phones with one

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 11:50 AM
142 ... 456