For years I have loved using my Z10 for audio playback, and my iPhone friends couldn't understand why I would prefer it to the iPhone, even though I owned an iPhone for testing purposes. They would never listen when I tried to explain the importance of a superior DAC chip, support for lossless FLAC files, etc.

Now I'm having the last laugh!

For users who use their phone to play music/podcasts/videos throughout the day, the iPhone 7 is a huge step backward for the company that largely created the portable digital music market with the iPod.

All audiophiles know that wired headphones are infinitely better sounding than Bluetooth, but with the new iPhone 7, it's now impossible to listen to music on wired headphones and charge your phone at the same time unless you pay an extra $150 for a wireless charging station or use an awful $50 aftermarket product from Belkin that splits the charging port into two (creating inevitable electrical interference with the audio signal using the same port.)

So, if you're like me, and you listen to audio constantly through expensive headphones, you either have to haul a wireless charging station with you at all times or buy one for each location you visit regularly!

Also, without the Belkin dongle you can't even recharge from a battery pack while listening to music! So if you have a long commute after a busy day, you are SOL.

Also, for those who don't already know, one of the components that BlackBerry invested heavily in for their BB10 phones was the digital to analog converter (DAC) chip. It's truly excellent in the z10, q10, Classic and Passport devices (I haven't tested the others.)

Apple has taken bilking their users to a new level, asking them to pay an additional $450 for the accessories that will make their phone usable for playing music seriously (1 wireless charging station, air pods for when that's not an option, and the Belkin port splitting dongle, and that doesn't even get you a decent pair of headphones!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 07:20 AM
    I can say this, I've even tested the iPhone 6 on an aux cord and the same music sounds lower in volume, usually meaning some lower level chip or compression. But the biggest problem is that people these days don't know quality. So much I see people's libraries filled with 128kb or less music!! Seriously lol this is because they pirates the music but even then let's say they use a service like Spotify I think that runs at 192kbs and even then through aux I feel like I get better quality. And I'm no audio file but I'm going back to actually buying cds instead of downloading them as I can go up to 320lbs and formats which I like best like flac or whatever

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 07:36 AM
    For years I have loved using my Z10 for audio playback, and my iPhone friends couldn't understand why I would prefer it to the iPhone, even though I owned an iPhone for testing purposes. They would never listen when I tried to explain the importance of a superior DAC chip, support for lossless FLAC files, etc.

Now I'm having the last laugh!

For users who use their phone to play music/podcasts/videos throughout the day, the iPhone 7 is a huge step backward for the company that largely created the portable digital music market with the iPod.

All audiophiles know that wired headphones are infinitely better sounding than Bluetooth, but with the new iPhone 7, it's now impossible to listen to music on wired headphones and charge your phone at the same time unless you pay an extra $150 for a wireless charging station or use an awful $50 aftermarket product from Belkin that splits the charging port into two (creating inevitable electrical interference with the audio signal using the same port.)

So, if you're like me, and you listen to audio constantly through expensive headphones, you either have to haul a wireless charging station with you at all times or buy one for each location you visit regularly!
    So you're in the < 1% of people the uses this setup. There's an easy answer. Don't buy the iPhone 7. Or if you're such an audiophile as you claim to be, maybe you need the Pono player and enjoy your music even more. https://www.ponomusic.com
    09-14-16 07:46 AM
    Do you have a preference of headphones?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 07:59 AM
    So you're in the < 1% of people the uses this setup. There's an easy answer. Don't buy the iPhone 7. Or if you're such an audiophile as you claim to be, maybe you need the Pono player and enjoy your music even more. https://www.ponomusic.com
    That's my whole point. Don't buy the iPhone if you care about quality. And the Pono player is awesome, but for daily use I want a single device.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 08:06 AM
    Funny... I've seen several article here that BlackBerry 3.5MM headphone jack did not output very high quality sound. The "audiophiles" were explaining how to output the original digital signal via USB to an external DAC for better sounding music.

I know with the iPhone the output was limited 24-bit/48kHz on it's headphone jack, most true audiophiles were already using the "lightning" connector.

The average user that tends to buy $10 earphones won't be too happy, but the hardcore audiophiles....
    Jenserm likes this.
    09-14-16 08:23 AM
    Do you have a preference of headphones?

Posted via CB10
    Lots of great headphones out there. For daily use on the bus/subway and in the office, I like the Sennheiser HD 280 PROs. There are much better audiophile headphones out there (I own a few of them.). But these are very good, made to travel (come with a case), and not so expensive that I mind if they get beaten up a bit. They also block out ambient noise well. (passive noise canceling, i.e., padding around the ear)

With headphones there are a lot of personal factors including comfort for long wear. I like the 280s because they are made to be carried around by professional sound editors, and they are very "neutral" sounding. The newer HD 380s seem to exaggerate the bass a little, but I haven't listened to them extensively. I have heard they are very good from others.

The sweet spot for headphones, in terms of price, is between $250 and $750. And in that price range you have a lot of options, but for less than $100 it's hard to beat the 280s.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 08:33 AM
    Funny... I've seen several article here that BlackBerry 3.5MM headphone jack did not output very high quality sound. The "audiophiles" were explaining how to output the original digital signal via USB to an external DAC for better sounding music.

I know with the iPhone the output was limited 24-bit/48kHz on it's headphone jack, most true audiophiles were already using the "lightning" connector.

The average user that tends to buy $10 earphones won't be too happy, but the hardcore audiophiles....
    I never experienced that, but, if you don't match your headphone's impedance and sensitivity, the Blackberry (and other phone) outputs may be too low of a volume for some users. Many users who want to use their audiophile cans prefer a separate DAC/amp for that reason alone.

Also, a dedicated external DAC and amplifier of good quality will always be better than an integrated chip from any manufacturer.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 08:36 AM
    its actually $40 for the splitter and like Jose mention most people dont use flac or high quality audio on their phones so the iphone is perfectly fine for most all uses. I will take the iphone, its ecosystem and lesser quality audio processor over a orphaned OS like bb10 with absolutely no future at all. So would 99% of the population out there I think
    09-14-16 10:27 AM
    Geez, give me a break OP.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-14-16 10:29 AM
    09-14-16 10:49 AM
    Been using wireless for a few years now, aptx, and never been able to tell difference between that and wired.

For anyone who "need" more high def music, they will never use regular phones or earbuds to listen, but a dedicated player, headphon dac/amplifier and great headphones

Using external DAC is superiour to any phones today, as long as it is capable of providing any raw audio to the DAC, which on most cases today i would assume happens via DLNA or similar.

Audio is a very subjective thing- and many will say diffferent things about same file and same setup
    09-14-16 10:49 AM
    How often do you need to charge the phone and listen to music at the same time?

Not that Apple ever had me, but they lost me when the headphone jack was moved to the bottom. That's not usable for music when listening in my car.
    09-14-16 10:53 AM
    Support for lossless FLAC files.
    This is a big one for me.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-14-16 10:56 AM
    Surprisingly, I have talked to several people who have decided against upgrading to the new iPhone due to not being able to listen to music while charging. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal, but I guess it's a deal breaker for some.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-14-16 11:33 AM
    its actually $40 for the splitter and like Jose mention most people dont use flac or high quality audio on their phones so the iphone is perfectly fine for most all uses. I will take the iphone, its ecosystem and lesser quality audio processor over a orphaned OS like bb10 with absolutely no future at all. So would 99% of the population out there I think
    I'm not saying that BB10 has a future beyond the next year or so, and I know that most people want the app ecosystem, but the new iPhone fails as a high quality music player on many levels. That's my point. I wouldn't suggest that people buy a BB10 phone at this point, but if someone is serious about their music, they need to think long and hard about how an iPhone 7 would work out for them, and how much it would cost, all in

Posted via CB10
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-14-16 11:47 AM
    How often do you need to charge the phone and listen to music at the same time?

Not that Apple ever had me, but they lost me when the headphone jack was moved to the bottom. That's not usable for music when listening in my car.
    In a busy day, it's not uncommon to need to charge the phone at some point, and if one wants access to audio (music, games, video, podcasts, radio, etc) during that time, it's a new restriction that doesn't exist on other phones. I often charge my phone via my laptop USB port while listening to music. I couldn't do that as well with the new iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 11:54 AM
    I couldn't do that as well with the new iPhone.
    Well you could plug the headphones into the laptop assuming your music is sync'd between it and the phone
    09-14-16 12:00 PM
    OP, you realize that the iPhone 7 will ship with a pair of lightning-connected ear buds in addition to the 3.5 adapter, correct? They're not forcing you to go out and buy bluetooth ear buds. Charging while listening to music on a Z10 is probably more commonplace than on a, say, iPhone 6s+ because of the battery life. I'm getting the iPhone 7+, and I'll be using the included lightning ear buds and slapping the adapter on the Sennheiser buds I keep in my gym bag and call it a day.
    09-14-16 12:01 PM
    Did you, like a lot of people, forget that the iPhone 7 comes with a pair of wired earphones? A quick perusal of Apple's website would've done you some good, I think.
    pantlesspenguin and Eumaeus like this.
    09-14-16 12:48 PM
    Did you, like a lot of people, forget that the iPhone 7 comes with a pair of wired earphones? A quick perusal of Apple's website would've done you some good, I think.
    I spent time reading all of Apple's documentation about the iPhone I could find. I never said the phone didn't come with buds. The point is that the user can't use those buds and charge the iPhone at the same time without buying and carrying an additional Dongle. If that works for you, great. I think it's needlessly complicated and Apple's main goal is to get people to buy and carry more accessories to enhance their bottom line.

But I know iPhone fans will turn this around and say, "We're special because we get to carry and use an extra fancy white dongle everywhere we go just to use our headphones because Apple is the BEST"

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 01:15 PM
    The problem with OP post is that you cannot build a device for the mass that will please a minority.

That's where Apple shines at, they strike the perfect balance between proprietary hardware, connectors and OS, while allowing users convenience and getting what they need. 99% of people on this planet would be satisfied with and iPhone (as in that it would cover their day to day usage).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Jenserm like this.
    09-14-16 01:29 PM
    I spent time reading all of Apple's documentation about the iPhone I could find. I never said the phone didn't come with buds. The point is that the user can't use those buds and charge the iPhone at the same time without buying and carrying an additional Dongle. If that works for you, great. I think it's needlessly complicated and Apple's main goal is to get people to buy and carry more accessories to enhance their bottom line.

But I know iPhone fans will turn this around and say, "We're special because we get to carry and use an extra fancy white dongle everywhere we go just to use our headphones because Apple is the BEST"

Posted via CB10

You seem to be trying to argue two separate points. One, that wired earphones are better quality that BT. On that, we agree. Two, that somehow, the switch to a Lightning jack is a step backwards. Have you actually used Lightning earphones to make that determination?
    Last edited by MikeX74; 09-14-16 at 01:47 PM.
    09-14-16 01:35 PM
    When my Classic was on verizon, and Red Satan forcibly disabled Audio Boost for headphones, I had a headphone amp velcroed to my phone case when I went for walks. So a dongle isn't beyond me, but I'd prefer a regular jack just to keep it all simple. My Passport has phenomenal sound quality for a phone, which is why I won't be getting rid of it until it can't do basic phone and Internet stuff anymore.

Headphones: serious listening- Sennheiser HD600. Walking/on the road- Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    09-14-16 01:58 PM
    The sound quality between wired vs bluetooth is nearly negligible these days. So negligible that the only differentiating factor is the build quality of the buds, regardless whether wired or bluetooth.

In the days of BT 1.1 and BT 2, it was a no brainer that BT buds were inferior due to the extreme compression needed to transmit over BT. Today, with BT 4, it's a non-issue. The only differentiating factor is how much you spend on a quality set of buds/headsets. And the cost for Good/Exceptional earbuds is comparable between the wired and BT options. So realistically, there's zero issue when it comes to the quality of sound you're hearing.

As for not being able to charge your device while using wired buds, that's situational. More often than not, earbuds are used when you're in a situation where charging isn't feasible because there isn't a charging solution available anyway (at the gym, out for a run, etc..). And in situations where there actually are charging solutions available, there's rarely ever any need to be using the earbuds to begin with. The only instance where I could imagine needing both, would be in an office or home environment where you don't wish to disturb others, but even then you could listen to music for a very long time without even having to take battery levels into consideration. Heck, I use BT earbuds myself, and can't recall the last time I'd needed to charge and listen at the same time.

Sure, a person could nitpick a few anecdotal situations. But realistically those situations would be very few and far between.
    09-14-16 02:09 PM
142 123 ...