I've had three BlackBerry Devices so far: the 8830 World Phone, the 8330 Curve, and most recently, the 8530 Storm with 4.7.0.148. I have loved each successive 'Berry more than the last.

EXCEPT for Voice Dialing! Oh my GAWD does it SUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!

I've used my 'Berrys each with my favorite headset: an Aliph Jawbone I. I don't get any complaints on the other end of my calls about the quality, but unless the room is SUPER quiet, I simply cannot get Voice Dialing to recognize ANYTHING. I'm a normal guy with a normal voice and an American accent, speaking to the device in English.

What amazes me is that they keep incorporating the VERY SAME worthless voice reco in each successive 'Berry! C'mon, RIM, can't you take a hint!?

I've been so frustrated by voice dialing that when I've done OS updates on my 'Berrys, I've simply removed it. But my previous 'Berrys have all had physical keys I can feel while I drive and can do speed-dials with; the Storm has no such luxury and voice-dialing would be extremely useful. I was really hoping that they'd improve the reco in the Storm but, alas, they didn't.

Is there an open letter or e-mail address for the president of RIM or something that someone completely fed up and exasperated with the totally unacceptable RIM voice-dialing feature can kvetch to? If I kvetch here, I'm just kvetching to the choir, as it were.

---

Gregory Pius
    Wellington (like the beef), Florida
    Verizon Wireless BlackBerry 8530 Curve, 4.7.0.148
    08-03-09 09:23 AM
    Q) Does the device respond the same way when you access the vocie features WITHOUT the Aliph Jawbone ?

I only used the "regualr " vocie features a coupel times before I started using vlingo and I dont use bluetooth at all.
    08-03-09 09:33 AM
    Q) Does the device respond the same way when you access the vocie features WITHOUT the Aliph Jawbone ?

I only used the "regualr " vocie features a coupel times before I started using vlingo and I dont use bluetooth at all.
    Yup. Exactly the same. Across all my 'Berrys, too.

What's vlingo?
    08-03-09 09:36 AM
    I am on my third Storrn cause they keep getting glitches and locking up. It forst start with loosing my voice dialing and then just gets worse from their. My wife freaked out when I paid full retail for this thing and now she keeps telling me,"I told you you shouldn't have gotten it". A man HATES when his wife is right about cars or electronics. Anyone have any ideas what to do other then keep going into Verizon and complaining and getting another new broken Storm?
    08-03-09 09:39 AM
    I agree with Gregory. I spend a good amount of time on the road. I use my bluetooth headset also. I swear that if I had a contact with the number to india, it would dial it every time! So, I just use it to pick up my calls and I just go thru the call log or address book to make calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 09:42 AM
    If you haven't tried vlingo yet, then you haven't experienced voice control for you Blackberry. It's a really great app. You can control almost everything and even write messages in the form of an email, sms or even a facebook message with your voice, access other apps with your voice too, it's great.

What's even more great/scarier is that the it adapts more and more to your voice as you use it, lol.
    08-03-09 09:42 AM
    I am on my third Storrn cause they keep getting glitches and locking up. It forst start with loosing my voice dialing and then just gets worse from their. My wife freaked out when I paid full retail for this thing and now she keeps telling me,"I told you you shouldn't have gotten it". A man HATES when his wife is right about cars or electronics. Anyone have any ideas what to do other then keep going into Verizon and complaining and getting another new broken Storm?
    I'm afraid I haven't had your level of bad luck with the Storm, but I would start a new thread as this post is off-topic for this thread and I think that this post (which has a very good question in it) would only get lost here.
    08-03-09 09:45 AM
    If you haven't tried vlingo yet, then you haven't experienced voice control for you Blackberry. It's a really great app. You can control almost everything and even write messages in the form of an email, sms or even a facebook message with your voice, access other apps with your voice too, it's great.

What's even more great/scarier is that the it adapts more and more to your voice as you use it, lol.
    I'm downloading it as we speak... Thanks, guys, for the tip.

Y'know, it makes me wonder... if vlingo is that good and the comes-with-the-'Berry voice app is so horrible, I wonder why RIM doesn't just buy vlingo?
    08-03-09 09:47 AM
    So I've downloaded vlingo and have been fiddling with it... I can say with authority that it is FAR better than the horrible BlackBerry Voice-Dial app.

Thanks to the folks who recommended it.

I'll explore it in more detail later...
    08-03-09 11:49 AM
    Vlingo is awesome... I just wished it didn't cost so damn much.
    08-03-09 01:32 PM
    I've never used Vlingo, but it took me a while to realize that the standard voice dial would not recognize a contact that had first and last names entered in the address book unless i said both names. It must try to match expected numbers of syllables or something.
    08-03-09 01:35 PM
    I think for the most part voice dailing is crap

08-03-09 03:11 PM
    if we're still on the topic of vlingo, it's not just for voice dialing. I still can't justify the price, but it allows you to text, email, search the web, open apps, twitter, facebook,.... all with your voice.
    08-03-09 03:18 PM
    I've never had a problem with the voice dialing included on my Curve 8330. It's always recognized everything I've said but I've always used first and last names when saying "Call name" because I have multiple contacts with the same first name. Maybe it just likes my voice. ;-)

08-03-09 03:57 PM
    I dont know about you guys but mine is almost always spot on. sorry to hear your having so many issues.
    08-03-09 04:21 PM
    I agree with the OP except to add that ALL voice dialing on ALL phone platforms sucks. I've had a number of WimMo devices before BB and they were just as terrible. I see it as a useless feature that they can add to the list of things that their phone can do.

Having said that, I love my BB and would trade it for no other.
    08-03-09 04:24 PM
    I've never had a problem with the voice dialing included on my Curve 8330. It's always recognized everything I've said but I've always used first and last names when saying "Call name" because I have multiple contacts with the same first name. Maybe it just likes my voice. ;-)

I had problems at first but after I change all contacts to first and last names my problems disappeared.

08-03-09 05:39 PM
    I've never had a problem with voice dialing. I guess I am just used to the interface.

I've used Vlingo and think it is pretty slick - just don't like to have to press buttons to make calls or send the email/sms. It makes hands-free voice dialing into hands+voice dialing.
    08-03-09 05:49 PM
    I had problems at first but after I change all contacts to first and last names my problems disappeared.
    Glad to hear you got it working. I see you're from Florida. I used to live in Cocoa Beach. Moving back there after I finish RN school. Sorry completely OT but I envy everyone living there!
    08-04-09 06:32 AM
    I think for the most part voice dialing is crap

I agree ! I dont use the voice dialing feature on my BB , also I did not use that voice dialing thing on ANY phone I had that had that option .
    08-04-09 07:51 AM
    I never had an issues with my voice dialing like some other posters, but I also don't use it that much.
    08-04-09 08:06 AM
    I've been using Vlingo as well for some time and it is a great app.
    08-04-09 09:27 AM
    There should be no reason why you're having so many issues. Either VOD is configured wrong (sensitivity) or your contacts are all messy. Remember that you must verbalize the command to dial someone just like it is in your contact list. I've never had any problems with it.
    08-04-09 10:06 AM
    After testing a few times I THINK I figured part of the mystery.

The thing is when I activate voice dialing with my bluetooth, it seems like it's picking up my command on the phone microphone and headset microphone!

Have you tried hiding the phone within bluetooth range and make a voice dial with headset only (and vice versa)?

I tried putting away my bt paired headset far away and just voice dialed by speaking to the phone and it worked and was like WTF?!

So I'm going to guess that is the culprit...although I did the test in a quiet space when I turned off my car in frustration....

08-23-09 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD