Boulben, are you really on drugs, or just think it's good to give off the impression you are?

Alicia Keys gives PowerPoint presentation to BlackBerry | Technically Incorrect - CNET News
    04-17-13 04:40 PM
    < closed> hopefully save someone's precious time.
    Can someone decrypt that drivel for me please. I don't even know what the point of the article was or is.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:56 PM
    It would have been nice to see the presentation itself...
    richardat likes this.
    04-17-13 05:01 PM
    It would have been nice to see the presentation itself...
    Yes, but the fact that it was internal, makes it all the more.....mind-blowing. I thought they were pretending to be taking direction from her (and I still think that is the case), but they really want to portray the reverse!
    04-17-13 05:06 PM
    can anyone take her seriously as the marketing director? i mean what marketing background does she have? or what strategy? they might as well just sponsor her like how Nike sponsor athletics. Why make her have a role in your company when it clearly useless and u are just using her fame?
    Grumblegrumble and richardat like this.
    04-17-13 05:28 PM
    Who is to say she doesn't have the business accumen to compete? ........... pretty presumptious of some in here
    04-17-13 05:33 PM
    Albeit you have a slight point. You don't know her real background; it might well be Marketing, and Development.

Example., Lil Jon, the guy is a marketing and creative genius. But, most people know him for his music. Just saying...

can anyone take her seriously as the marketing director? i mean what marketing background does she have? or what strategy? they might as well just sponsor her like how Nike sponsor athletics. Why make her have a role in your company when it clearly useless and u are just using her fame?
    04-17-13 05:34 PM
    lol. Alicia Keys has sold over 18 Million records. She was instrumental in marketing of herself as well as changing with a liquid music market. It's disturbing to be this naive to think that only those that fit the "look" and "educational background" of what we feel should be there can do the job. I'd trust her to market my product too. Not sure why people think entertainers only can sing and have no intelligence on how to market a business... If there is anyone with an ear to the street, it's certainly Ms. Keys.

That's core of marketing.. understanding the people... and how to sell something.
    04-17-13 05:41 PM
    Albeit you have a slight point. You don't know her real background; it might well be Marketing, and Development.

Example., Lil Jon, the guy is a marketing and creative genius. But, most people know him for his music. Just saying...
    Yes, but that's the point! IF she really is a marketing genius, we don't know it. Is it possible, that of all people, she was most qualified to plan and direct creative marketing? Maybe. Is it possible that had she no fame, no music, no name, she could have approached BB with the same pitch, and they would have said: WOW, you really know what you're doing, come be our director? Maybe. Seems coincidently unlikely, but maybe.

If that IS the case, by all means, have her doing these internal presentations, giving direction, and charting their future direction - but don't tell us about it. You see, Boulben is marketing here, he is marketing: Alicia keyes really is giving us serious corporate direction! That's good marketing for Keyes (I actually think that was part of her deal - I'll come on, but only if we make it look like I am a serious businesswoman - so maybe she really is smarter than them!) , but it does nothing for BB, if anything, it's harmful in that it looks a bit silly.

What this says to me is that Boulben, in pushing this notion, and trying to mention it publicly, thinks that it gives a good impression of BB. It doesn't. Maybe if Keyes actually WERE brilliant at this, and we KNEW it, then it would be good press - maybe if their efforts were extremely successful, and afterword it were made apparent that actually - Keyes charted much of the real direction, THEN in the future, a company could get credibility by saying Keyes is internally guiding them. As it is now, it tells me Boulben is out of touch, and really thinks we will be starstruck by her fame.

In short: IF she were brilliant and contributing to the business, she has value internally, keep that private for now, and let her public role be to use her fame to gain attention. Don't try to market that, until such time as it lends credibility to your company, not takes away from it.

If I market citibank, would I, 10 years ago have said "hey, you know who are new financial director is? JBL...the wrestler! No, seriously, he's already been at several meetings, and presented." NO! Even if it were true, I wouldn't say that. Now, years later, with some people knowing that JBL has some financial expertise (I dont' vouch for this), would I say this? Maybe. Depends on how I think it will be viewed....after all, I'm head of marketing.
    sydsam likes this.
    04-17-13 06:07 PM
    lol. Alicia Keys has sold over 18 Million records. She was instrumental in marketing of herself as well as changing with a liquid music market. It's disturbing to be this naive to think that only those that fit the "look" and "educational background" of what we feel should be there can do the job. I'd trust her to market my product too. Not sure why people think entertainers only can sing and have no intelligence on how to market a business... If there is anyone with an ear to the street, it's certainly Ms. Keys.

That's core of marketing.. understanding the people... and how to sell something.
    "Ear to the street"? Next you'll say that Swizz Beats has actually made more than ten beats his entire career.

Just stop.
    Last edited by Majestic Lion; 04-17-13 at 06:29 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    04-17-13 06:14 PM
    i don't see how boulben could be on drugs, from a marketing standpoint creativity is a good thing, sometimes thinking outside the box gets a fresh new outlook on things, and as an artist Keys is obviously creative.

from a publicity stand point shge is also well known and given that she is part of the company some now associate Keys and BlackBerry together and when they hear the name Alicia Keys the BlackBerry though may pop in, weather good or bad.

Alicia Keys/BlackBerry/Still alive and in business
    04-17-13 06:38 PM
    Richardat please chill out. You are hysterical.

No one cares that Alicia Keys gave a PowerPoint to Frank Boulben (yes you spelled her name wrong).

No one is going to base his/her phone purchase decision on that.

We don't know what she said in the presentation, but I would guess it was about the best ways for BB to use Keys' image to promote the BlackBerry brand. You know, something that she would be very knowledgeable about.

I'm sure if a story came out that they hadn't met, you would have posted a thread complaining that BlackBerry hired Keys and hasn't even had a meeting with her yet.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 07:59 PM
    Bloggers like this guy are closed minded and merely see surface level for what it is. Wonder of he knows about Alicia Keys' mobile app which has been around for a while and in development for BlackBerry 10. I wonder if he knows the app is not all about the glamorous life of a celebrity but rather a very interactive app for kids to express themselves artistically and in multiple ways. I wonder if he knows about Alicia's AIDS programs in both the states and Africa and how active she is in them. Ya know sometimes it's good to back away from a music video and actually read and research about who people really are and what they support.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:19 PM
    Bloggers like this guy are closed minded and merely see surface level for what it is. Wonder of he knows about Alicia Keys' mobile app which has been around for a while and in development for BlackBerry 10. I wonder if he knows the app is not all about the glamorous life of a celebrity but rather a very interactive app for kids to express themselves artistically and in multiple ways. I wonder if he knows about Alicia's AIDS programs in both the states and Africa and how active she is in them. Ya know sometimes it's good to back away from a music video and actually read and research about who people really are and what they support.

Posted via CB10
    some peoples boxes are just really small, not many can see things that aren't infront of them some don't even notice them until they get hit in the face by it
    04-17-13 09:44 PM
    Richardat please chill out. You are hysterical.
    LOL! You lost it right there bud! I've posted a lot here, and the last thing most would characterize me as is "hysterical". In fact, I'm not even emotionally moved enough to be upset by your obvious troll. Ooh, you called me the opposite of what I'm known for....grrrr....rage.....rage!!! ;-)

No one is going to base his/her phone purchase decision on that.
    Quite correct. Glad you agree on that at least.
    I'm sure if a story came out that they hadn't met, you would have posted a thread complaining that BlackBerry hired Keys and hasn't even had a meeting with her yet.
    Posted via CB10
    Ah yes, the classic ad hominem attack. It wouldn't be CB without that! LOL.
    04-18-13 04:21 AM
    You bring a thread to others about her and BB..don't matter if it's good or Bad. Mission completed!
    richardat likes this.
    04-18-13 04:37 AM
    She isnt a Marketing Director, she is CREATIVE Director. Frank is still in charge of Marketing. She has done extremely well for herself, and most musicians would argue that they HAVE to be creative in order to do their work. Creativity can only help BlackBerry marketing as it has been terrible for many many years. Also, immediately before she performs in her concerts there is a Zed10 advertisement that plays for everyone to see, and she uses her white Zed during the show.
    ESCON, _dimi_, a1s2d3f4g5 and 1 others like this.
    04-18-13 07:04 AM

I'm a lil disturbed how naive you are and pretend you know what you are talking about. By your logic Micheal Jackson, 50 cent, and any other ENTERTAINERS that have made a lot of money and sold a lot should be the top of the list as marketing director. Maybe Apple or MSFT should hire 50 cent as their marketing director. BBRY should fire Alicia Key and hire Justin Bieber. Pretty sure he is more poplar than her and is selling a lot better.

Do you know anything about business? Do you know how many people are inthe background thats actually doing the work for them and they just got to do what they do best, BEING ENTERTAINER, not marketing guru.

if you didn't know ,marketing director is actually a pretty big role, most people work at it full time, not just whenever they feel like doing some BBRY press conference.
    richardat likes this.
    04-18-13 10:31 AM
    I don't get the gist of this article it seems they question having music celebs in creative roles for tech company's like BlackBerry. But others like Intel get a free pass. I smell double standard.
    Looks like some fluff piece to fill space and generate clicks.
    Which sadly I contributed to.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 11:47 AM
    I'm a lil disturbed how naive you are and pretend you know what you are talking about. By your logic Micheal Jackson, 50 cent, and any other ENTERTAINERS that have made a lot of money and sold a lot should be the top of the list as marketing director. Maybe Apple or MSFT should hire 50 cent as their marketing director. BBRY should fire Alicia Key and hire Justin Bieber. Pretty sure he is more poplar than her and is selling a lot better.

Do you know anything about business? Do you know how many people are inthe background thats actually doing the work for them and they just got to do what they do best, BEING ENTERTAINER, not marketing guru.

if you didn't know ,marketing director is actually a pretty big role, most people work at it full time, not just whenever they feel like doing some BBRY press conference.
    Moreover, as I wrote in explicit detail - yet is still completely lost on some - the idea here is not whether or not she has any substantial contribution, but rather, the notion of marketing her as contributing. IF she actually were contributing, then that itself is of intrinsic value, but that is NOT what they are trying to leverage here. They are trying to leverage the appearance of her being a manager - good for her, silly for BB. Yes, there are of course - as evidence here, fanboys who will defend this to the death, for them, yes, Justin Bieber as genuine, managing co-CEO would be an amazing move by BB, and something that should be trumpeted from the rooftops; however, also as evidence in many threads on Keyes here at CB, even amongst fanboys, the notion is ridiculous to many - and only serves to make them look silly, and mildly insult our intelligence.

Those in this thread that argue: OMG OMG, how close-minded so many are to believe she can't do it......don't even realize they're arguing FOR my point. LOL.
    04-18-13 03:09 PM
    Considering I'm English, I still find that the English language can be difficult...

Posted via Navi's CB10
    04-18-13 03:15 PM
    "It would be easy to think that no one, no one was buying BlackBerrys right now". That was all I could get through in this article.

@richardat reading articles like this one will do a lot worse for your IQ then Japanese horror flicks.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 06:44 AM