lmao I love how quickly the tides turn

Jan 29 "Yeah RIM probably has some amazing unleaked feature hidden up their sleeves for the launch" - cb forums member

Jan 30 "What more did you want, it was just a launch" - cb forums member

but yeah I agree with you OP launch was a little underwhelming almost iPhone 5-ish
    01-30-13 11:33 AM
    Maybe this is the wrong type of press event to announce the more technical types of features BB10 has, but I find this BlackBerry 10 Adds MicroSDXC 64GB+ Memory Card Support!!! Get One for $60 Shipped! - BerryReview more exciting in terms of future potential than what was presented today.
    While that is good for the Blackberry phone, its nothing new. All the power phone can handle this card, so it would add more disappointment to this day if it didnt support it.
    01-30-13 11:33 AM
    Maybe a sliver lining. Skype and a few other are committed to BlackBerry , but may not have their apps fully fleshed out, this allows them to work on them and get them working before they are released in the US. If they released any sooner they would be crucified for not having it and it would seem like empty promises again just like the Playbook.

There should be other ads in the coming months starting with the Super bowl, if they want to get/maintain the hype.

Hopefully there are other features that will be shown in the following months that will be surprises even to us hardcore fans
    01-30-13 11:34 AM
    And when have Apple ever launched a product and then told people they have to wait two months for it. Crazy!
    This was a GLOBAL launch. the phone is available tomorrow in the UK
    If this was a US launch i'd sympathise.
    01-30-13 11:36 AM
    lmao I love how quickly the tides turn

Jan 29 "Yeah RIM probably has some amazing unleaked feature hidden up their sleeves for the launch" - cb forums member

Jan 30 "What more did you want, it was just a launch" - cb forums member

but yeah I agree with you OP launch was a little underwhelming almost iPhone 5-ish
    absolutely.
    and i notice the ones who overhyped the phone aggresively are nowhere to be seen.

i think its a great phone. its designed to compete and does so amazingly.
    but there is nothing that will make fans of the other platform switch. we will get casual users to maybe switch however.
    mikeo007, rottonj, Rello and 2 others like this.
    01-30-13 11:38 AM

Did T Cook ever pick up the phone and show it in action? or did they just show a video (which did that even work)

People who are "underwhelmed" on content, are missing the boat. They guys picked up a couple of phones and used them, LIVE, in action and they were blazing fast and didn't freeze.

They worked, and they worked smoothly.

I don't think this presser was for those of us who've been tuned into to every little leak and RIM news crumbs falling to the internet.

You cannot dismiss the impact of they guys picking up the phone and using it LIVE, and how smoking fast it was.

There is a Droid DNA in my house that I don't own, that the Z10 will stomp a mudhole in, and I saw that as they used the phone. I wouldn't have seen that if they just showed my pictures of it......
    01-30-13 11:44 AM
    Yes. That IS what we wanted to see.

I've seen more thrilling demos at CES.

I LOVE the phone and can't wait to get one, but I already felt like that before the launch.

And when have Apple ever launched a product and then told people they have to wait two months for it. Crazy!
    The AppleTV, the original iPhone, the most recent iMac, etc. Even the recent iPhone/iPad launches have been tiered. Now, Apple has never made people in the U.S. wait beyond a products launch date, but rollouts over time are routine, and RIM BlackBerry isn't an American company. If they'd made Canada wait, well, that would be different.
    01-30-13 11:47 AM
    "We have definitely been on a journey of transformation," he told a crowd of reporters and bloggers in New York. "Today is not the finish line, it's the starting line."

01-30-13 11:51 AM
    Underwhelming? Yes. But I've been stalking the Z10 for months, so what was I going to expect? Coffee maker? Does my laundry? Cleans the kitty litter every morning?

It's expected when you're a Crackberry fiend. I say I love the idea of using Alicia Keys and other leaders in art to promote the Z10. I'm more surprised by the fact that the US carriers bent me over and stuck me in the nether regions with no lube.
    el_excelsior and 416to604 like this.
    01-30-13 11:55 AM
    Did T Cook ever pick up the phone and show it in action? or did they just show a video (which did that even work)
    Tim Cook didn't, but the rest (Forstall, Schiller, etc) did. The only use videos to discuss things that can't be done live, such as images of engineering and fabrication. Obviously, they can't assemble an iPhone on stage, so if they want to show that, it has to be done on video.
    01-30-13 11:59 AM
    Wow, people. They showed live video chat and screen sharing over BBM that transmitted faster than the broadcast itself.
    If that doesn't impress you, your expectations were way out of line because that is incredible.
    cjcampbell, undone and toneytone like this.
    01-30-13 12:03 PM
    Tim Cook didn't, but the rest (Forstall, Schiller, etc) did. The only use videos to discuss things that can't be done live, such as images of engineering and fabrication. Obviously, they can't assemble an iPhone on stage, so if they want to show that, it has to be done on video.

I don't keep up with iPhone, so that's why I asked. The few videos I pulled on YouTube didn't show it.... thus my question
    01-30-13 12:08 PM
    It is? I must have blinked and missed any conversation of call quality; signal strength; how one goes about answering phone calls or checks a text message or email message while simultaneously putting the caller on hold or transferring to the speakerphone, etc.
    It was an hour long presentation and they covered a lot. Do you really want them to show you how to answer a bloody phone? C'mon now. If they were to go over every single feature on the phone, it could've been double the time. Now there are many of us that would've been happy to see that but in reality, they have a schedule for today, and the presentation is just one part of it.
    01-30-13 12:17 PM
    Sooo many questions...

BBM video chat: over carrier networks too or WiFi only?
    Does BIS stay or go?
    "X has made a commitment"...what does that mean? It's not available? When will it be? 2 months down the road? 4 months?
    Hardware specs?
    How will the transition be when it comes to transferring data from legacy devices to BB10 devices?
    digitalman101 likes this.
    01-30-13 12:20 PM
    I suppose if Steve Jobs were to do the presentation, it'd be a big change.

Steve Jobs can make a feature that's been in Nokia S60 1stGen an "exciting new feature" (yes, I'm talking about actual multitasking which is present in $300 phone but missing in $699 phone)
    01-30-13 12:25 PM
    I love how people were raving about how this is the best thing ever and now that the unveiling has come people's response is, "it's a phone." Wow.
    richardat and TroubleTrouble like this.
    01-30-13 12:37 PM
    Just seems like they didn't discuss many of BB10's unique features. I mean, I was expecting more big name apps (netflix, hulu, instagram, words with friends), there were no mentions of the cinnamon toasts in the OS, not a mention of the PlayBook and its future plans...and I wouldve loved to see how BB Bridge on BB10 might have more and improved feature. I'll be real, I never expected BB's first BB10 offering to totally "leapfrog" the competition but this was underwhelming for me.

BBM looks awesome and the video chat and screen sharing are fantastic....but RIM needed more like this IMO. From this event alone, the felt if I were a android or IOS user, I don't think there were enough unique features shown off to bring me back to the BB10 platform unless I REALLY just wanted to try something new.
    Last edited by Rello; 01-30-13 at 04:16 PM.
    digitalman101 and Fr3lncr like this.
    01-30-13 12:39 PM
    I think we should do a CrackBerry-BlackBerry partnership extravaganza soon, to let the world see more.

All in favour say aye?
    01-30-13 01:30 PM
    Just seems like they didn't discuss many of BB10's unique features. I mean, I was expecting more big name apps (netflix, hulu, instagram, words with friends), there were no mentions of the cinnamon toasts in the OS, not a mention of the PlayBook and its future plans...and I wouldve loved to see how BB Bridge on BB10 might have more and improved feature. I'll be real, I never expected BB's first BB10 offering to totally "leapfrog" the competition but this was underwhelming for me.
    Uh oh, you're going to summon the "tools not toys" brigade. But no, ita with you. I don't use Netflix or Hulu but tens of millions of smartphone users do; moreover, the availability of these apps would have enfranchised BB from the cellar of mobile irrelevancy. The lack of native apps is telling and it delegitimizes Blackberry for the average consumer and really for the whole industry, which then translates into developers not wanting to develop. It's a crappy cycle, but nonetheless there it is. And lest we all forget how Blackberry n�e RIM got into this mess in the first place.
    Rello likes this.
    01-30-13 01:33 PM
    This comes across as corny, but seeing as I now own shares in BlackBerry, it was a lackluster event, seeing as everything I knew was shown and the additional THREE things I didn't, including my Apple Fanboy brother and there was nothing shown that wowed anyone (including the audience. Jesus, that was awkward) Overall, I think the products has gotten BlackBerry out of the "death spiral" and has bought themselves a bit of time. The hardware isn't the best, and the software has been getting mixed to positive reviews. But is it a hardware/spec war? A software war? An app war? BlackBerry isn't doing too bad, considering how many apps Windows launched with and companies are yet to announce their support for the platform (Instagram in particular)

Call it what you want, but I reckon, with decent marketing, the BB should bring back some customers from the likes of iOS and Android.
    01-30-13 01:37 PM
    I was a little sad there wasn't any M2M big picture stuff, but I was impressed with Vivek's demo - really smooth, no lag, no glitches and I liked seeing how quickly you can move around the interface.
    01-30-13 01:41 PM
    I was a little sad there wasn't any M2M big picture stuff.
    Bingo. This was, at least IMHO, hinted at being a huge differentiator/advantage for BB... and only a few mentions that I'm sure flew over the casual user's head. No visuals, no samples, no hint of the possibilities?... dissapointing
    01-30-13 02:03 PM
    I was banking on some new and killer innovative features to be announced. I also thought US carriers would have it sooner than March. I knew of the March 27th leaked date on T-Mo, but I thought they were going to be one of the last. The Samsung Galaxy S4 could possibly be announced by then.

I'm waiting to reserve my judgement until I see a replay of the event, though. I really want to see the z10 in action. Hopefully it'll be up by the time I get home from work today.

And what's this I'm hearing about Verizon having exclusivity on the white z10??????? Gah!
    It's true about the white.

The release date and the news about the white exclusive to VZW really took the wind out of my sail.
    01-30-13 02:07 PM
    Anyone who won't admit that this launch was disappointing and underwhelming are under a spell of delusion.
    actually i'm not disappointed at all. maybe that'd be a little different if i was in the US, but i'm not. my expectations were set as i visit CB everyday and have seen every leak (real and fake). i was expecting to only really get a release date but i got more (skype (dont use it often, but glad people will stop b*tching about it) and alicia keys (love her and her music)). February 5 is right around corner!
    01-30-13 02:12 PM
    i'm more surprised by the fact that the us carriers bent me over and stuck me in the nether regions with no lube.
    i am shocked. Shocked i say.
    01-30-13 02:20 PM
101 12345