02-10-13 10:20 PM
35 12
tools
    njblackberry

The point of this thread is that given the resources Alec had, and including the extremely negative environment in the US, it is a miracle that there is any apps on BlackBerry at all, it is a miracle that BB10 launched, and it is a miracle that BlackBerry 10 has a CHANCE to get all the apps that complainers like you want. If you are not happy with the app situation why not wait 6 months instead of complaining so much.

You have obviously never had any experience building a business up. Because BlackBerry's old system needed to be rebuilt from scratch, they are essentially operating like a startup. Startups have to innovate hard to differentiate themselves from the incumbents, in this case Google and Apple, so much so that early adopters buy the devices despite the disadvantages the startup has. Most early adopters here are very tech savvy and know that not all apps that they want are available. They are willing to sideload, write to developers, ask for help on CrackBerry, find workarounds and convince others to adopt the platform to gain the critical mass and momentum needed to get more apps. That is just how it works early on. As I said, why not stick with another phone platform until and if the apps you want come. And stop complaining, people here are happy with their Z10's, that is obvious.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-07-13 08:54 PM
    Nope; never built a startup, or had to rebuilt a company that had lost its competitive advantage and was in a sorry state.

I am a customer. Someone who buys technology. Recommends it. Do you really feel that sideloading is a workaround for an insufficient number of packaged apps? Well, it isn't.
    Most early adopters would buy anything with a BlackBerry logo on it, including pieces of Kevin's hair.

I *might* buy your argument, except for the fact that Thorsten (NOT THOR) Heins delayed the device twice to make sure it was ready. Maybe he should have delayed it again.

And @Thunderwhatever, they gave away 1000 Zed (actually Zee) 10s in New York City at the launch. And heaven knows how many to the press and other reviewers. They had one shot to do the launch right. I don't think they did it right.

You may not check out other BlackBerry support sites, but check out Supportforums.blackberry.com

They aren't enthusiast. They are consumers. And they are pissed off. OK, eh?
    02-07-13 09:26 PM
    You may not check out other BlackBerry support sites, but check out Supportforums.blackberry.com

I get what you're saying. But you have to admit that anyone who is happy and satisfied with the Z10 isn't going to be posting on supportforums.blackberry.com - so it would be sampling error to assume that it's representative.
    dietertong and ShimmyShine like this.
    02-07-13 09:40 PM
    I do find it funny with people that come and create dissent for goodness knows what purpose. I mean, there is no perfect technology in the world. Microsoft suceeded in using consumers as guinea pigs withoften very buggy but usable techology. Win 8 is a great modern example. 15 odd years ago Apple was literally on the rocks. There are countless examples of this. I got my daughter an iphone 5, had to send it back cause it was defective. Other daughter has first generation fascinate, not able to skype cause the front facing camera, of which there is a place for is not present. Her gps doesn't work. What about Steve Jobs saying there is no need for a 7" tablet? If we buy the stuff what do we expect? How about Apple maps? Did iphone users abandon the iphone because of the apple map fiasco?? Go pin the tail on the donkey in utopia buddy, I think you can see we are happy and most people seem to love the Z 10 for what it has for them and what it does for them. If its not for you then use your free will and pick what you want don't crap on our parade cause you think you know better!!
    02-07-13 10:02 PM
    And this is another case of making the "perfect" the enemy of the "good". In an ideal world, BB would have been able to perfectly duplicate the iOS catalog and have that to offer from day one. Since that can't happen, we're faced with two alternatives: 1) an app catalog that will take a painfully long time to become competitive or 2) tolerate some so-so Android ports.

The Android Runtime is an overwhelming benefit. It gives developers a low-risk way to test the ecosystem, and it gives users more choice. That it's being upgraded to Jelly Bean only improves its appeal.
    I agree. I use tapatalk on my playbook and have zero issues. proof that android apps can run very well if they are handled properly by the app developers. if an app works well and is smooth the end user won't really care.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    02-07-13 10:10 PM
    I agree. I use tapatalk on my playbook and have zero issues. proof that android apps can run very well if they are handled properly by the app developers. if an app works well and is smooth the end user won't really care.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Same here. No issues at all.

sent from my sexy PlayBook using Tapatalk2 (*_~)
    02-07-13 10:29 PM
    Yes, they are pissed off. That is why the Z10 sold 3x more than any other BB launched in the UK on opening day and 2x more than in any BlackBerry in Canada on opening day. That is why Bell, Rogers, Phones4U are all saying that it is selling like hot cakes. That is why I keep reading about people going to stores and not finding them even though the store reps say there was 20-100 units per store (Which is pretty good considering that there are 100's of phones4U, Rogers, Bell, Telus, O2....stores for every one Apple store). Yes, these consumers are up in arms.

No the reality is there are bugs and there is a very definite lack of apps, you are right. But people are still buying the phones, and in several weeks and months we will all see how good BlackBerry is at addressing the problems you have pointed out and how many consumers are as unhappy as you.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-08-13 12:17 AM
    So I can walk up to a retail store in some major world cities (and Canada) and buy a Z10, but it isn't "launched completely yet"?
    It was delayed multiple times to get it right, and it doesn't have some apps day one that Alec and the gang had to ensure were there.
    But you can't buy it in the US. The largest smartphone market. So yes, it isn't completely launched.

Alec wasn't even in charge of getting big name apps. His job was to get indie developers on board. Another team is in charge of getting big name apps.

It was actually delayed multiple times to get the OS running well for the mass market.

Not solely for getting big name apps. That would be a very dumb reason to delay the device and platform actually.
    02-08-13 12:39 AM
    How about a thread where we can highlight apps produced during some of the Port-A-Thons and Jams. Since the phones are out and folks can try them - what say you Devs? Would you go to a thread called "I produced this app during a Jam/Port-A-Thon and I am darn proud of it".

Might go a long way to taking away the feeling that not a lot of quality is produced during these events?
    dietertong likes this.
    02-08-13 09:27 AM
    Nope; never built a startup, or had to rebuilt a company that had lost its competitive advantage and was in a sorry state.

I am a customer. Someone who buys technology. Recommends it. Do you really feel that sideloading is a workaround for an insufficient number of packaged apps? Well, it isn't.
    Most early adopters would buy anything with a BlackBerry logo on it, including pieces of Kevin's hair.

I *might* buy your argument, except for the fact that Thorsten (NOT THOR) Heins delayed the device twice to make sure it was ready. Maybe he should have delayed it again.

And @Thunderwhatever, they gave away 1000 Zed (actually Zee) 10s in New York City at the launch. And heaven knows how many to the press and other reviewers. They had one shot to do the launch right. I don't think they did it right.

Look, your fighting a losing battle here. Your app argument only partly works as 70K is an excellent start and one well ahead of any new major platform. Apps are coming in at a 1000 per day so the app gap argument has a shelf life of less than 2-3 months. That is it, your done.

Your bigger question centers on why buy BB10. Thats simple. It's a new user experience with a mountain of upside potential. You have a gesture based platform, hub, flow and balance. Further, QNX clearly enables BB10 devices to do things that are simply impossible for iOS and Android. IOS and Android have done squat the last two years. Honestly, who cares what sort of phone they release in the next couple of months. It's the same old from the same old. People want to be part of BB10 because they see the potential of the new.

We are moving into the post app world and BB is leading the way in redefining the possible. It is probably this simple fact that disturbs the traditionalists like yourself the most.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-10-13 10:20 PM
35 12