*googles how many days George Bush was on vacation during his presidency, when the country was at war*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This x 10000000000000
    06-26-12 10:32 AM
    Or is this too intense a commitment to ask for in this new era of entitlement?
    The irony just blows my mind.
    06-26-12 10:39 AM
    *googles how many days George Bush was on vacation during his presidency, when the country was at war*

As a bit of an aside (and I will get back on topic) and not to cause a semantics argument here, but I don't believe the United States technically declared war. The president authorized a significant amount of military action (which was indeed a war) under the guide of the War on Terror, but I don't believe Congress declared war (via vote) since WWII. And while this is no way lessens what our military members did and the sacrifices that were made, it goes to show how our government can be ridiculous.

Back on topic,
    Alec is extremely responsive and has brought (if nothing else, and thats a BIG if) a vast amount of ENERGY to the RIM platform and branding. He is also responsible (likely) for the vast improvement in the tools that RIM is offering to its developers. I have spoken to him many times and he comes off as extremely genuine and hard working. Now is the time to take Vacations, with BB10 still a few months away. Who can blame the guy for taking a few days off?
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 06-26-12 at 10:51 AM.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-26-12 10:48 AM
    For me, the fact that Mr. Saunders or any other executive or senior management
    person can take vacation at this stage is a good sign.

This means that the "heavy lifting" is done and there are people in place to
    see this project through to fruition.

Were RIM at this stage telling all employees and management to cancel all
    personal time off to get BB10 to market that I think would be a clear indication
    that the device and/or OS are not ready and will be released in a sub-par state.
    06-26-12 10:56 AM

Were RIM at this stage telling all employees and management to cancel all
    personal time off to get BB10 to market that I think would be a clear indication
    that the device and/or OS are not ready and will be released in a sub-par state.
    I agree!

the fact he can take time off is a good thing, relationships are under development, deals must be in the works, and it takes time for things to close, get out have a vacation when you can't really do anything to speed the process up. it's not like come August/September there will be any vacation time to be had, people who are passionate wont be able to relax knowing what is coming, and all the crazy prep work for the new platform about to launch will make it too busy.

I wouldn't be at all surprise if RIM actually pushed managers to take some vacation time in June/July because they wont be getting any till Christmas season
    06-26-12 11:10 AM

That is a positive way to view this. I hope you are correct. There still seem to be huge holes in the app capabilities, and few third party solutions that match the capabilities on other platforms even for the same app. Some of the surprises being held for the release announcement?

If the heavy lifting is indeed done maybe this is an opportunity to release ahead of schedule, before or at least first in the flood of releases by competitors that will happen in the September/October timeframe.
    06-26-12 12:03 PM
    This thread actually got me thinking... Alec hasn't even been in the position for a year. He's a veteran in Dev Relations (did it at Microsoft for years--arguably the best in the business), joining RIM when it was really at the height of its crisis, just when it was getting set to announce that, no, there'd be no VM to run legacy BB apps (IIRC).

He came in at maybe the worst possible time. An industry veteran, joining a company that was clearly in decline, and taking on the task of turning around one of the worst dev relations reputations in the business.

He's been composed, funny, and confident throughout his brief time at RIM so far (I still want that "Stay Calm & Be Bold" t-shirt he wore at Devcon Europe back in February). He's honestly worked his a$$ off to turn RIM's poor dev relations around, and while I admit I'm only a wanna-be dev myself, I see the company as considerably more honest, open, and approachable than it was one short year ago.

If BB10 fails, it won't be because of Alec Saunders. And if it's that close to the brink that the guy can't even take vacation, then RIM is in even bigger trouble than we thought.
    06-26-12 12:39 PM
    Hey Alec,

Ok, folks think I ask too much. Nice Alaska pics. Now that you are refreshed, it's crunch time. Fourth down late in the fourth quarter. RIM needs the strongest app environment you can provide. Including on PlayBook now that MS is coming.

--Fix Docs To Go so it at least is on par with Android. You own it. fix it! This should be an easy lift.

--Fix the productivity apps like Evernote, Adobe PDF, Browser, so they are more than token apps. They are poor and thin compared to other platforms. At least the basic native apps should be top tier by now, or real soon.

For non-RIM apps, either get the developers on board or find a substitute. If RIM/PB is for doing things, give us top tier apps to do those things! You need to go full court press on these developers.

Everyone at RIM should be focused on making the best damn phone and tablet environment until after BB10 and PB2 are released and adopted. Otherwise, there is no tomorrow.
    I disagree that Alec or anybody else at RIM has to postpone their well-deserved vacation, but I strongly agree with you on the fact that there is absolutely NO excuse to not have certain app problems fixed by now.

It's not a matter of a two-week (vacation) time. We are talking about many many months folks at RIM have had to at least fix what they can.

- Docs To Go - Owned by RIM. Why the heck is the PB version worse than the iOS or Android version?

- Adobe Reader - Developed by a strategic partner and prepackaged with the OS. Why has it been so rudimentary and hasn't changed with so many OS updates? Adobe Reader on the PB is simply a joke. I'd be ashamed to call the PB "the first PROFESSIONAL tablet" with the bundled productivity apps such as Adobe Reader.

- Same with the Facebook app. I am just out of words to describe the app.

- Web Browser - Does it really have to take a team of developers at a multi-billion dollar company almost 1.5 years to implement bookmark management and other basic stuff such as 'search on page'?

- File Manager - they must be kidding. We had to wait almost a year to get a FM with almost no sorting/organizing/folder system?

- Background Services - Another cruel joke. No background services for apps like Facebook, IM+, alternative email clients/organizers/calendars, radio/music apps. The funny part is that background services are there, but are not enabled for third-party apps (only Android runtime). What kind of twisted logic is this? Also note that I've been trying to get some info on background services/tasks on the Beta Zone, but they simply don't know what it is or whether they'll be implemented in BB10.

- Similarly, no cross-integration of apps/OS.

And all of the above is what RIM can control, and I am not talking about the whole third-party app situation, which every living soul on earth probably knows about.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-26-12 at 01:43 PM.
    balding1 and dynot like this.
    06-26-12 01:40 PM
    Senior management need to lead by example. No vacations till BB10 is out. Stock is getting hammered, sales underperforming, customers either waiting or jumping ship.
    He's been doing a ton of travel to Blackberry Jam's everywhere, some overseas, and they are getting ready for a lot in EMEA and AsiaPAC. That type of travel takes a heavy toll both physically and mentally. I see no issue with a trip to Alaska considering the worse of the travel is coming up. Plus he is developer relations. Now the people actually working on BB10 and getting it out the door in Waterloo and Ontario should be putting in the heavy lifting right now.
    06-26-12 01:53 PM
    I disagree that Alec or anybody else at RIM has to postpone their well-deserved vacation, but I strongly agree with you on the fact that there is absolutely NO excuse to not have certain app problems fixed by now.

It's not a matter of a two-week (vacation) time. We are talking about many many months folks at RIM have had to at least fix what they can.

- Docs To Go - Owned by RIM. Why the heck is the PB version worse than the iOS or Android version?

- Adobe Reader - Developed by a strategic partner and prepackaged with the OS. Why has it been so rudimentary and hasn't changed with so many OS updates? Adobe Reader on the PB is simply a joke. I'd be ashamed to call the PB "the first PROFESSIONAL tablet" with the bundled productivity apps such as Adobe Reader.

- Same with the Facebook app. I am just out of words to describe the app.

- Web Browser - Does it really have to take a team of developers at a multi-billion dollar company almost 1.5 years to implement bookmark management and other basic stuff such as 'search on page'?

- File Manager - they must be kidding. We had to wait almost a year to get a FM with almost no sorting/organizing/folder system?

- Background Services - Another cruel joke. No background services for apps like Facebook, IM+, alternative email clients/organizers/calendars, radio/music apps. The funny part is that background services are there, but are not enabled for third-party apps (only Android runtime). What kind of twisted logic is this? Also note that I've been trying to get some info on background services/tasks on the Beta Zone, but they simply don't know what it is or whether they'll be implemented in BB10.

- Similarly, no cross-integration of apps/OS.

And all of the above is what RIM can control, and I am not talking about the whole third-party app situation, which every living soul on earth probably knows about.
    That's a different thread. As has been noted, Alec is Developer Relations (i.e. EXTERNAL); the issues you bring up here all deal with internal development.
    06-26-12 01:56 PM
    And while we take away your vacation let's also remove the bathrooms! No bathroom breaks for anyone! Too much time is wasted!

Man...I feel sorry for anyone that works for RIM. They hear the same stuff every day. Do people (the general public) not realize they (RIM employees) already know what needs to be done? RIM already knows the apps need to be there, RIM knows the ecosystem must be running full steam, RIM know the hardware must be jaw-dropping awesome, RIM knows they need to be on time. RIM knows the developers need to be on their side. RIM knows they need to do a 180 on their marketing, RIM also knows that if they don't execute on all of these while giving it their best ALL of them will be looking for new employement around this time next year.

Guys...RIM knows. But hey, thanks for reminding them every single day. We wouldn't want them to forget.
    06-26-12 02:45 PM
    And while we take away your vacation let's also remove the bathrooms! No bathroom breaks for anyone! Too much time is wasted!
    Thanks for taking this to the outrageous limit. If you have no point, just mock the post, eh?

None of you apparently been asked to postpone time off to meet a business goal? Not slavery, but response to a short-term company need. Guess that stops with my generation. No wonder the economy is in such fantastic shape. I will acknowledge that businesses view employees as costs rather than assets, so maybe that is behind the "Get mine first..." attitude.

Anyway, hope the app situation is fixed soon.

By the way, Alec is responsible. The vast majority of the problem apps like Docs to go, Evernote, Adobe are third party apps. If current discussions are not working with these developers, change the tactics or look to other developers. Job One for Alec.
    06-26-12 03:04 PM
    Thanks for all your passion guys!

FWIW, I was on a cruise with my elderly parents and my wife. My parents bought the ticket for us two years ago as a gift. It was an open ticket that expired in June 2012. I kept postponing until I couldn't postpone any longer -- they would have lost their money if we hadn't gone this month.

And yes, when we were in cell range, the BlackBerry was at hand.

Best, A
    06-26-12 03:33 PM
    Actually if you've read my post there is a point I'm making.

They know what needs to be done. If Alec or anyone else at RIM takes a holiday it's because they can, because they need it, or because they deserve it. Consider all the changes RIM has made just in the past year alone (aquiring new companies, new patents, reducing excess fat (employees), improving developer relations, damage control, continual work on new hardware, etc. How long do you think it should be before Alec or anyone else can take a break? A month after BB10 is released? Maybe only after they release the BB with keyboard? Maybe after they get the most sought after apps developed first? If we can't give a week or two for these guys to unwind at least before the canadian winter rolls through, then all your going to get are ppl regretting working for a company at a time that it's going through the biggest changes in its life.

I think this would backfire on everyone.
    06-26-12 03:55 PM
    Thanks for taking this to the outrageous limit. If you have no point, just mock the post, eh?

None of you apparently been asked to postpone time off to meet a business goal? Not slavery, but response to a short-term company need.
    Addressing developers' needs is hardly a "short-term company need" so by your logic, Alec should never take a vacation?
    06-26-12 04:01 PM

FWIW, I was on a cruise with my elderly parents and my wife. My parents bought the ticket for us two years ago as a gift. It was an open ticket that expired in June 2012. I kept postponing until I couldn't postpone any longer -- they would have lost their money if we hadn't gone this month.

Best, A
    Let's give Alec the last word. Sounds like he made a prudent choice. Hope for the best for RIM and all the folks there.
    06-26-12 04:02 PM

Best, A
    No need to explain yourself, good sir (but thanks for dropping in anyway!). In case you hadn't noticed, you're something of a cult hero around here. Just keep up the good stuff, and how about we make people's heads turn come October.
    06-26-12 04:24 PM
    Alec Saunders is a BOSS.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    06-26-12 04:52 PM

Best, A

I will second the bear's statement that you do not need to explain yourself to people who know nothing of your personal life. But, in doing so, you have shown yourself to be one h3ll of a class act. I must say, I'm now a fan.
    Hope you enjoyed your time with your family.
    raino and Stewartj1 like this.
    06-26-12 05:01 PM

Gosh, no comparison to Obama's 101 rounds of golf since taking office?
    neteng1000 likes this.
    06-26-12 05:18 PM

Best, A
    Heh heh, if I'd known you were on an Alaska cruise, I would have met you in Skagway! I only live a couple of hours from there...
    06-26-12 05:29 PM
    It's. Too. Late.
    Although, I would love to be proven wrong. More cool gadgets=more fun!
    06-27-12 11:41 AM
    It's. Too. Late.
    Although, I would love to be proven wrong. More cool gadgets=more fun!
    Wrong. Thread. Dude.
    06-27-12 11:43 AM
    Holy crap.... Alec reads CrackBerry.....
    Alec lot of love for BB in India. No one likes the iPhone here. Take your time and bring up an awesome BB10 device. Anyways the future is "emerging" markets, cos the established markets have their begging bowls out....
    06-27-12 02:37 PM
    By the way, Alec is responsible. The vast majority of the problem apps like Docs to go, Evernote, Adobe are third party apps. If current discussions are not working with these developers, change the tactics or look to other developers. Job One for Alec.
    Are you hard of "reading" or something? This has been explained to you countless times by multiple people. RIM owns the blackberry version of Documents to Go. DataViz still owns the iOS and Android versions but not the blackberry version.

Alec's job is to supply the interest, the tools and the help to third party developers...that is it. If there is a problem with the App then you need to contact THOSE developers and complain.

It's really quite simple to understand...heck, I do.
    06-27-12 05:45 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD