This is not "a good thing".

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    10-07-14 02:59 PM
    You realize they have only had a team of like 8 people working on this for like 6 months? What were you expecting. Heins loved to talk about machine to machine and IoT but he did absolutely nothing to drive this forward.
    Considering how much they have hyped IoT, even under Chen, that number is pathetic! BlackBerry hyped up QNX's capabilities so much and hasn't delivered much with it.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-07-14 03:11 PM
    Considering how much they have hyped IoT, even under Chen, that number is pathetic! BlackBerry hyped up QNX's capabilities so much and hasn't delivered much with it.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    The whole culture of the company is we are a phone manufacturer before Chen which is why qnx was kept small. Chen's version of BlackBerry is a diversified software focused company which had QNX as one of its main components.
    10-07-14 03:17 PM
    Guys it was his job to get all the little apps. Mary Mallick's job was to get all the big apps. Don't know how many times this has already been said around here.
    His job was more than to get the little apps. It was to get ALL mobile developers interested in developing natively for BB. Instead, he gave Android developers a shortcut to a simpler and less effective solution.

Penned via Tapatalk
    m1a1mg likes this.
    10-07-14 03:49 PM
    You realize they have only had a team of like 8 people working on this for like 6 months? What were you expecting. Heins loved to talk about machine to machine and IoT but he did absolutely nothing to drive this forward.
    I would have expected them not to make a grand public announcement until they had something substantive to talk about.
    m1a1mg, mornhavon and TGR1 like this.
    10-07-14 04:19 PM
    I don't follow this closely, but it seems that the people Chen brings in are better for the company then those who leave. The relatively short notice suggests that the decision for him to leave was not his alone.

Posted via CB10
    Acumenight likes this.
    10-07-14 04:21 PM
    I don't follow this closely, but it seems that the people Chen brings in are better for the company then those who leave. The relatively short notice suggests that the decision for him to leave was not his alone.
    I don't know if I would go so far as to speculate on whose decision it was. I would agree, wholeheartedly though, that Chen's imports from Sybase are more effective executives than the ones they are replacing. That is a good trend!
    10-07-14 04:31 PM
    You know I really liked Alec. I think he did a great job in the beginning particularly with the state BlackBerry was in. It was fun to watch him get excited and such especially at the BlackBerry events.

However, I've lately thought..what happened to Alec? I hadn't heard from or about him for quite a long time.

Just can't think that he might have outlived his usefulness at BlackBerry and it was time to move on.

Will miss him though.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 06:34 PM
    My interactions with him were less positive then other people's here I guess. I think he contributed a lot to the perception of BlackBerry being out of touch and more show than actual substance.

So I may be in the minority here, but I don't see this as a loss. I wonder who will run Ion now?
    My experiences with him were similar. I'm sure he had some excellent skills to stick around as long as he did, but my own experiences are less then stellar.
    10-07-14 08:13 PM
    So it was announced today that Alec is leaving BlackBerry and many people were not happy that he is leaving for whatever the reason is. Imo i believe that he is responsible for that S4bb mess that was created. That department didn't really produce any good application. I think it is wise that he moved if he did voluntarily

#BBFactCheck
    10-07-14 09:36 PM
    My impression is, he just needs a break, and seems pretty worn out after those turbulent years. If that gives him a chance to do relax or do something new and exciting plus personal satisfaction, I'm all for it.

If some other new person with enthusiasm, energy, hunger and fresh ideas wants to take on the project, it might actually give Ion the kick and the impetus it needs to keep moving, yeah, to take off...

I don't think anyone would object to Ion taking off, with or without Alec. He can always be "cheering from the sidelines",...

:-)

Good luck!

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    10-07-14 11:35 PM
    So it was announced today that Alec is leaving BlackBerry and many people were not happy that he is leaving for whatever the reason is. Imo i believe that he is responsible for that S4bb mess that was created. That department didn't really produce any good application. I think it is wise that he moved if he did voluntarily

#BBFactCheck
    He might well have been involved with the "S4bb mess". By that time Z10 sales were failing and the biggest point the critics kept raising was "not enough apps". There's lots of filler in the iOS and Android app stores too.

Before Saunders started at BlackBerry the company was known as viewing developers as something over a nuisance. The software was awful. The store was expensive to enroll in. There was little sense of "community" among devs. Under him, all that changed and I'm happy to give him the credit.

They reached out big time. In hindsight you can always find things Dev Relations might have done better but I think they did the best they could with a very difficult challenge.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 10:05 AM
    My experiences with him were similar. I'm sure he had some excellent skills to stick around as long as he did, but my own experiences are less then stellar.
    Hmm. Specific examples? Just curious.
    10-08-14 10:29 AM
38 12