Pardon my confusion because I have searched and need help. I currently have the garmin/navtec program on my AT&T curve. Someone else I know with vzw bought this subscription but you have to have an external do hickey. Is Tour going to have a locked gps system or what exactly is this agps? The garmin on my blackberry is amazing. It is usually more accurate than the jeep nav system. I don't want to lose that app!

Thank you!
    07-02-09 08:48 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong.

GPS just uses satellites to get your position while AGPS uses satellites and cell towers to locate you.
    07-02-09 10:14 AM
    Yeah, aGPS uses data from cell towers in addition to the GPS satellites. Verizon has been known to lock their GPS in the devices so users are forced to use the VZNav or whatever its called. Since BB's come with their Maps application, I'm assuming the GPS is unlocked. In another thread, someone mentioned that aGPS is what is locked on Verizon. I've always had Sprint, so I'm used to just loading a GPS app and being on my way.

You can search "Unlocked GPS" in these forums though for more info
    07-02-09 10:20 AM
    I have the 8130 now, verizon unlocked the gps on it, but it only seems to work in BBmaps, not google maps... i hear its different in the storm though, and i expect the tour to be the same. it should work without any external gps devices
    07-02-09 10:53 AM
    Tour will have Autonomous GPS unlocked, and assisted GPS locked. This means that tower and network assistance will be closed to 3rd party apps except for BB maps and VZ Nav. Everything else uses autonomous GPS.
    07-02-09 01:04 PM
    I wish assisted GPS was unlocked
    So much for using GPS at a red traffic light .
    07-02-09 01:33 PM
    I wish assisted GPS was unlocked
    So much for using GPS at a red traffic light .
    verizon has a big gripe about GPS apps running off its network. Doesn't look like it will change anytime soon as this dual mode option seems to be their fix for pleasing the masses.
    07-02-09 01:38 PM
    verizon has a big gripe about GPS apps running off its network. Doesn't look like it will change anytime soon as this dual mode option seems to be their fix for pleasing the masses.
    I believe VZNav is the only program that utilizes aGPS. However I'm pretty sure this is a software restriction on the devices. I bet there's a way to get Google Maps or Nav4All running with aGPS . Though I won't discuss this on the threads as it might be considered "hacking."

07-02-09 01:47 PM

the truth is though people are talking about a few seconds in difference.

at least in my tests..

most the time I am able to get full satellites in under 20 seconds without it and maybe 14 seconds with it...

so I just don't see it as that big of a deal but who knows..
    07-02-09 01:49 PM
    The aGPS is probably overrated. From what I understand the "a" part takes over when you can't get a good satellite signal. The classic situation cited is you are driving to XX location and go into a parking garage where the GPS satellite signal's lost, so the cell tower signal takes over to guide you from there. Really! My Googlemaps on my 8900 is a great thing imo. I wouldn't pay $10/month to "upgrade" it even though I don't get voice directions, etc.
    07-02-09 01:55 PM
    the truth is though people are talking about a few seconds in difference.

at least in my tests..

most the time I am able to get full satellites in under 20 seconds without it and maybe 14 seconds with it...

so I just don't see it as that big of a deal but who knows..
    correct me if I'm wrong but I thought line of site was an issue between autonomous GPS and assisted GPS

If that is correct, that makes a good argument as to why aGPS should be unlocked as well! Can any storm users verify this? I know BB Maps is definitely line of site verse VZ Nav which is not
    07-02-09 02:01 PM
    correct me if I'm wrong but I thought line of site was an issue between autonomous GPS and assisted GPS

If that is correct, that makes a good argument as to why aGPS should be unlocked as well! Can any storm users verify this? I know BB Maps is definitely line of site verse VZ Nav which is not

I guess I am not fully sure but my tests were gmaps vs bb maps.. and a gps tracking program...

I do not have vz nav so I couldn't use it as a comparison..
    07-02-09 02:53 PM
    There's a lot of info about GPS if you search, but I'll say it again here.

GPS is fully functional. You won't have any limitations in software that uses GPS. All automotive GPS units use standard GPS.

aGPS only means a quicker INTIAL lock on your location. It does not affect the usability or speed of GPS other than obtaining your first signal. It was implemented to be of use in 911 calls, so they could lock on your location a bit more quickly.

aGPS adds no other functionality. GPS is all you need. If you need your GPS to work while driving around a parking garage, maybe you shouldn't be driving, haha.
    07-02-09 02:58 PM
    I believe VZNav is the only program that utilizes aGPS. However I'm pretty sure this is a software restriction on the devices. I bet there's a way to get Google Maps or Nav4All running with aGPS . Though I won't discuss this on the threads as it might be considered "hacking."

i noticed in your sig you dont have a berry yet. do you know specifically what it takes to unlock it? i don't think there are any rules against hacking your berry on here. what i believe it would take is to edit the carrier rom but i have no clue how to go about doing that.
    07-02-09 04:07 PM
    i noticed in your sig you dont have a berry yet. do you know specifically what it takes to unlock it? i don't think there are any rules against hacking your berry on here. what i believe it would take is to edit the carrier rom but i have no clue how to go about doing that.
    To be honest, I have no clue. Modding a dumb phone wasn't so hard so I'd assume a BB would be easier since it allows 3rd party coding and custom OSs to be run. Though I wouldn't know the first place to start .
    07-02-09 05:48 PM
    ahh ok, i didn't know if you worked in the field or anything. i have asked before and to be honest i think if it could be done someone would have done it already. now that i think about it i seem to remember a post reply that said aGPS was actually done server side on verizons side not the device itself thus making it impossible. short of hacking the verizon network which certainly wouldn't go undetected or without prosecution!
    07-02-09 05:53 PM
    ahh ok, i didn't know if you worked in the field or anything. i have asked before and to be honest i think if it could be done someone would have done it already. now that i think about it i seem to remember a post reply that said aGPS was actually done server side on verizons side not the device itself thus making it impossible. short of hacking the verizon network which certainly wouldn't go undetected or without prosecution!
    lol good point. If it was on our side, it would probably be a piece of cake for some of our experienced CB users .
    07-02-09 06:19 PM
    ....If you need your GPS to work while driving around a parking garage, maybe you shouldn't be driving, haha.
    07-02-09 06:23 PM
    aGPS only means a quicker INTIAL lock on your location. It does not affect the usability or speed of GPS other than obtaining your first signal. It was implemented to be of use in 911 calls, so they could lock on your location a bit more quickly.
    How much faster is aGPS vs GPS? 10 seconds? Just a ballpark guess
    07-02-09 06:27 PM
    What is the big deal. You don't need to hack the phone. I use the Garmin App on my Storm, No Problem. It is fast and works fine. I am sure it will work on the Tour just as well.
    07-02-09 06:32 PM
    is Garmin compatible with Poynt? I doubt it, but just wondering if anyone knows.

Cheers,
    08-09-09 10:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD