I always loved the trackpad! Not only because it was the perfect solution for non touchscreen devices, but also because it was a little technical wonder to me the way it worked!

On the touchscreen optimised BlackBerry 10 devices it's also awesome to scroll in the browser and other applications and could save battery life (if touchscreens eat more juice while touching them)!

I think John Chen has his data to ground the decision on! Blackberry was always good at surveying it's customers to hear their needs as they actually do with the "icanmakeitbetter programme"!
    03-14-14 06:48 AM
    What is this 'BELT' means? I sont understand.

Posted via Writer's BlackBerry, Q10
    03-14-14 08:34 AM
    Folks it is not just the lack of the belt, look at the dinky screen of the Q10. If the Q20 fails it will because even 3.5 inches is deemed to be too small. It is the small screen that makes the belt a requirement. Here is hoping that the next non classic Q after the Q20 has a larger screen than 3.5 inches.

It is not just the screen size and belt that was causing BBOS owners to hold on. There are a lot of Curve owners out there who only mainly use their phones for texting and e-mails. The Q5 was and is too expensive to have converted the Curve users.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-14-14 at 10:27 AM.
    03-14-14 10:13 AM
    I my opinion the perfect sized screen (sorry CB community) is the iphone with the typo keyboard on it!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-14-14 10:20 AM
    I my opinion the perfect sized screen (sorry CB community) is the iphone with the typo keyboard on it!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    Was that typed with the "typo" keyboard? Lol see what I did there? Oh and guy few msgs ago "the belt" is the call, end, menu n track pad section on the old BlackBerry phones
    03-14-14 11:53 AM
    Im interested to text the BlackBerry classic. At 1st I was ready for the end of the belt but now that it may be able to work with BB10, Im rethinking.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 01:01 PM
    Was that typed with the "typo" keyboard? Lol see what I did there? Oh and guy few msgs ago "the belt" is the call, end, menu n track pad section on the old BlackBerry phones
    I'd never ever even touch a disgusting iPhone!

Posted via CB10
    velkod likes this.
    03-14-14 04:40 PM
    Common Q10 is great as it is. I'm afraid that Q20 will look ugly.

Q10
    03-14-14 04:45 PM
    ^^ it's in danger of maybe being too fat or too tall n thin. Make it look dated ya know
    03-14-14 06:50 PM
    Common Q10 is great as it is. I'm afraid that Q20 will look ugly.

Q10
    Function over form.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-14-14 06:55 PM
    I'd never ever even touch a disgusting iPhone!

Posted via CB10
    You might not have a choice. Better hope sales are good.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    03-14-14 08:16 PM
    Gimmick is having animals sell your product like Telus does. Touch screen is universal and good for phone and tablets. Don't confuse your opinion with facts
    The animals were ClearNet's marketing 'gimmick'. That has to be one of the longest-lasting marketing campaigns ever, and proof that either a) ClearNet's marketers were geniuses; b) there's not a single creative soul working at Telus; or c) both a and b.

Now that I think about it, all that white space in the ads was ClearNet's, as were Telus's corporate colours and its slogan. The only choice is c.

"The Future is Friendly" (1999 version, with Norm Macdonald voiceover):

2000 version:

Sent by Telex ... saved on Hollerith cards
    Last edited by Shuswap; 03-14-14 at 09:24 PM.
    velkod likes this.
    03-14-14 08:26 PM
    I highly doubt if the Q20 fails, it will mean BlackBerry failed. You can't fail for listening to your customers. Mr. Chen made a decision and went for it. Nothing wrong with that. Yes, people will complain, but after reading many different threads on this topic, they won't be buying a keyboard device anyways. Does not make sense? It's not like the Q10 was a success to begin with. In reality, Mr. Chen would be unwise not to make this move.

Powered by BlackBerry
    03-22-14 11:36 PM
    You might not have a choice. Better hope sales are good.
    There's always a choice. I'd rather use a flip phone than an iphone.
    03-23-14 01:24 AM
    There's always a choice. I'd rather use a flip phone than an iphone.
    Still using my flip BlackBerry! I hope the Q20 will not be too big, they seem to have forgotten that some people still pocket their phone.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-23-14 07:21 AM
    BB10 proved that you can make a productive phone/software without any buttons. That being said...I totally welcome the belt. I wish it was on a 4.5" screen though...

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 02:39 PM
    I used my subsidized one on a Q10 that I ditched after 6 months to go back to a Bold so I'll be paying the full price for the Q20. First phone I've really wanted in a long time so I'll have one for sure. Hope it's under $800.
    03-23-14 02:59 PM
    I'm confused now.

I don't know if I'm within the majority who really LOVES not having the BELT function on their Q10; or if I'm in the minority who really loves not having the BELT function on their Q10.

In my own, personal, not-saying-my-opinion-is-the-right-one view, going back to the BELT is a step backwards for BlackBerry. I wish they never decided to do that. I am assuming that, after a while with the Q10, some users would get used to not having the BELT around. I love not having it. I don't miss it. Sure, it was cool pressing and holding the BB button and seeing/closing the apps you had running, but now there are active frames and I really don't need that option anymore. I don't think moving back to the BELT will be smart. People will see it, think BlackBerry has not been innovative (as most of those who dislike/don't know much about BlackBerry don't even know about the 10 OS), and just skip along to something else.

As another user posted, I hope the people who are missing the BELT will buy these phones. Because BlackBerry deserves a pat on the back for catering to them. I will not buy one of these, but I am sure that there are those who will. I just think this is... Well, a waste of time and money. But again, it's my opinion.
    03-23-14 06:15 PM
    If I may toss my two cents;
    The toolbelt is a welcome addition for people who spend a lot of time in Docs To Go for example, not so much for people who worry more about Netflix or what Android apps they can sideload, I can understand that.

There's also a matter of convenience in other scenarios like Web pages on the Q that have one or many small links where maybe you'll hit the one you want if you're lucky because you can see it, but instead you have pinch to zoom it and drag the page where it's a little more front and center first. That would be out the window.

On the go, there were a lot of us who were using BlackBerry daily well before BB10 was conceived and were quite proficient at rolling thru things one-handed. It's not as if that's not possible with BB10, but certain things are a bit of a pain, trying to do stuff that requires a lot of reaching around with one's thumb just to do simple tasks, as opposed to having a comfortable "home row" effect the way proper touch typists do.

Finally, I'm sure to a point since I would prefer to have an upgraded 9930 that I'm exceptionally biased on the matter, if this is such a big step backwards in the eyes of people who are so "evolved" and modern while daydreaming of octo-core chips and the like, and have the audacity to insist those of us who could best utilize hardware like the "toolbelt" are lacking in smartphone aptitude, why in the world is John Chen where he is and have the credentials he does in the world of tech if his business acumen is so terrible? It is ultimately his decision afterall to devote resources to the design and release of a device like the Q20. How is it a man like that suddenly doesn't know what he's doing, couldn't it be possible that maybe he sees a very valid opportunity here? I doubt the man is eager to sacrifice his company or reputation on some sudden streak of insanity. It's not as if CEOs don't make mistakes, but I find it hard to believe he hasn't considered all of this somewhat carefully.

Sorry, it was two cents more than anyone cares about
    03-23-14 06:39 PM
    The toolbelt is a welcome addition for people who spend a lot of time in Docs To Go for example, not so much for people who worry more about Netflix or what Android apps they can sideload, I can understand that.

There's also a matter of convenience in other scenarios like Web pages on the Q that have one or many small links where maybe you'll hit the one you want if you're lucky because you can see it, but instead you have pinch to zoom it and drag the page where it's a little more front and center first. That would be out the window.

On the go, there were a lot of us who were using BlackBerry daily well before BB10 was conceived and were quite proficient at rolling thru things one-handed. It's not as if that's not possible with BB10, but certain things are a bit of a pain, trying to do stuff that requires a lot of reaching around with one's thumb just to do simple tasks, as opposed to having a comfortable "home row" effect the way proper touch typists do.

Finally, I'm sure to a point since I would prefer to have an upgraded 9930 that I'm exceptionally biased on the matter, if this is such a big step backwards in the eyes of people who are so "evolved" and modern while daydreaming of octo-core chips and the like, and have the audacity to insist those of us who could best utilize hardware like the "toolbelt" are lacking in smartphone aptitude, why in the world is John Chen where he is and have the credentials he does in the world of tech if his business acumen is so terrible? It is ultimately his decision afterall to devote resources to the design and release of a device like the Q20. How is it a man like that suddenly doesn't know what he's doing, couldn't it be possible that maybe he sees a very valid opportunity here? I doubt the man is eager to sacrifice his company or reputation on some sudden streak of insanity. It's not as if CEOs don't make mistakes, but I find it hard to believe he hasn't considered all of this somewhat carefully.

Even though we do not share the same opinion, I respect yours and think you made your point civilly and clearly. Also, I hope my post didn't offend you. I never meant to imply that I knew better than Chen. That'd be a huge LOL! My opinion is just that... Not really good for anything but my own personal use.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your post was great and to also extend my apologies if need be!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 06:55 PM
    Even though we do not share the same opinion, I respect yours and think you made your point civilly and clearly. Also, I hope my post didn't offend you. I never meant to imply that I knew better than Chen. That'd be a huge LOL! My opinion is just that... Not really good for anything but my own personal use.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your post was great and to also extend my apologies if need be!

Posted via CB10
    Slight miscommunication there; I was just throwing my hat in the ring, not aiming squarely at your post. Perhaps i'll offer the apology

Addressing yours specifically, it's not as if you don't have valid points. I would sooner utilize active frames with a swipe for closing apps before going via menu or holding the Berry key. Also, I'm sure the consumer majority (previous BB experience or not) would look at the design and see a brand new device and yet immediately think of the BlackBerry they saw several years ago. It is in this I'm hoping they limit the resurrection of the toolbelt to a specific series, be it Q or perhaps utilize the present numbering system (say Q10, Q30, Q50, no toolbelt, Q20, Q40, Q60, toolbelt.) If they tried to stick the toolbelt on a Z device or a new slider a la Torch, I don't believe it would be a good idea either.

It may be true that it's a very specific market segment only that could or would want the toolbelt, but I think it has just enough a place to validate itself and I'm only grateful the option even exists in the first place. I'm still a little in shock this is really happening. I can point out valid uses for the toolbelt sure, but I realize my personal views aren't the most realistic, I mean afterall, I'm the same guy who refuses to use Android applications or any Google service and (get this) actually loved and occasionally misses BBOS enough to swap to the Bold 9930 once in a while.

Cheers

*Edit:
    Just for the sake of a real laugh, I use a theme on my 9930 that almost precisely duplicates BBOS6, because while OS7 was definitely faster and all around more efficient (especially the browser comparatively speaking), OS 6 has always been my favorite. As you can see, you are dealing with a nutjob in the first place
    03-23-14 07:32 PM
    Just for the sake of a real laugh, I use a theme on my 9930 that almost precisely duplicates BBOS6, because while OS7 was definitely faster and all around more efficient (especially the browser comparatively speaking), OS 6 has always been my favorite. As you can see, you are dealing with a nutjob in the first place
    I love BlackBerry 6 on my 9650, but I wish it had the capability to lock the trays like OS7 has. I hate that they don't lock in BlackBerry 6!
    BitPusher2600 likes this.
    03-24-14 02:58 PM

I agree. I love my Q10 and like closing apps by swiping, However, I get very frustrated when I can't put the cursor in the right place to edit text. This happens not only in Words to Go, but also when trying to edit information in a contact. So many times I want to change the last number in a phone # and find myself hitting the X and deleting the whole number. Then I have to go back and look up the number if I don't remember it. After that happens 3 times I get p****d!!!!

I also have trouble with my phone selecting a word instead of putting a cursor there or showing the dictionary.

I never had that problem with my 9000 with the track ball (which lasted 4 1/2 years till I got the Q10). I have never used a track pad, but would like to try it.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    BitPusher2600 likes this.
    03-24-14 04:56 PM
    When trying to put the cursor in the right place just tap on the circle on the right to move right 1 space, and left to move left 1 space. A lot of people don't seem to know that.

I do have trouble with highlighting a word and instead I get the cursor. The trick is to press and hold, but it does take practice. If you tap first by accident it's over.

03-24-14 06:45 PM
    When trying to put the cursor in the right place just tap on the circle on the right to move right 1 space, and left to move left 1 space. A lot of people don't seem to know that.

I do have trouble with highlighting a word and instead I get the cursor. The trick is to press and hold, but it does take practice. If you tap first by accident it's over.

I do tap right, left, up, down to move the circle, and that works quite well, as long as I get the circle and not a highlight. Sometimes I want a highlight and get the circle, which then doesn't want to go away :-). I have gotten used to it, but it should be easier to do. Fortunately, the Q10 types so well I don't have to correct too often!!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    03-25-14 02:10 PM
51 123