I have a Tour (USCC), and by the time I will be able to upgrade the latest RIM release will probably be whatever follows the 2. Any speculation what that might be for CDMA carriers?
    I know it's a long way off but I am a little curious...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 08:30 PM
    Either the Pearl 2 or Storm 3 may be next.
    01-16-10 09:14 PM
    Hmmm. Doubt the S3 will find its way to USCC. Pearl 2 probably will, but I'm more interested in something Tour or Bold size.

01-16-10 09:47 PM
    I wish that Verizon was GSM so that they could get the same blackberries as AT&T and T-mobile. At least when Verizon switches over to LTE the playing field will be even since AT&T is going LTE as well.
    01-28-10 12:19 PM
    I wish that Verizon was GSM so that they could get the same blackberries as AT&T and T-mobile. At least when Verizon switches over to LTE the playing field will be even since AT&T is going LTE as well.
    Yep and this is why i think Sprint made a big mistake going with Wimax. Not because it won't be as good but if they had chose LTE instead they would have been on the same playing field as the big boys and would be easier for them to get the flagship devices.
    01-28-10 01:37 PM
    storm 3 should be the one to excite cdma holders.
    01-28-10 08:18 PM
    Tour2 is probably the end of the road for CDMA.... it's practically dead with LTE coming soon... VZW going to LTE, Spring focusing on WiMax...

GSM is the global standard
    01-31-10 11:14 AM
    CDMA won't be dying right away though... I know in canada there are places that are still CDMA and from what I've heard will probably NOT be going HSPA for a few years yet. Bell will have to put up the towers first!
    01-31-10 12:30 PM
    CDMA won't be dying right away though... I know in canada there are places that are still CDMA and from what I've heard will probably NOT be going HSPA for a few years yet. Bell will have to put up the towers first!
    Telus and bell already have hspa for a while now.
    Cdma should be done in 2-3 years for canada.
    Storm 3 won't be cdma(hopefully)

02-01-10 01:47 PM
    well considering there are/were GSM versions of Storm 1 & 2... Storm 3 will at least have a GSM version as well, wether it has north american 3G bands, that's the big question - and at this point in time, it definitely should, if not even be pushing the envelope with LTE...
    02-01-10 01:50 PM
    1X will be used in conjunction with LTE, maybe until 2020. EVDO will be replaced quicker with the deployment of LTE.

Verizon Wireless to accelerate LTE, keep CDMA and lower data prices � Boy Genius Report
    02-01-10 04:29 PM
    well considering there are/were GSM versions of Storm 1 & 2... Storm 3 will at least have a GSM version as well, wether it has north american 3G bands, that's the big question - and at this point in time, it definitely should, if not even be pushing the envelope with LTE...
    yeah thats my point... im so sick and tired of cdma and GSM, i want a Compatible 3G storm HSPA 850/1900.. But there's a thread saying it will be a hybrid OF LTE and HSPA, but who knows... hopefully verizon wont renew the Exclusive Storm contract again...
    It's the only reason why i didn't get s2. but im crossing my fingers that S3 will have HSPA 3G freqs..
    02-01-10 08:46 PM
    It seems to me WiMax is the bigger player internationally, at least the countries I go to. Not sure why everyone thinks LTE is the future.
    02-02-10 12:13 PM
    It seems to me WiMax is the bigger player internationally, at least the countries I go to. Not sure why everyone thinks LTE is the future.
    Because the vast majority of all world cell phone companies are moving to LTE, thats a well known fact.

3GPP Long Term Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carrier adoption

Most carriers supporting GSM or HSUPA networks can be expected to upgrade their networks to LTE at some stage:
    AT&T Mobility has stated that they intend on upgrading to LTE as their 4G technology in 2011, but will introduce HSUPA and HSPA+ as bridge standards.[52]
    TeliaSonera has started network built up in Stockholm and Oslo, and will follow up in Copenhagen when a license in Denmark has been bought/granted. The networks are still only for testing. There are no indications of a public live date.
    In January 2009 TeliaSonera signed a contract for an LTE network with Huawei covering Oslo, Norway. Under the agreement, Huawei will provide an end-to-end LTE solution including LTE base stations, core network and OSS (Operating Support System). The Huawei contract was cancelled in January 2010 and a new contract was signed Ericsson.
    In January 2009 Ericsson and TeliaSonera announced the signing of a commercial LTE network. The roll-out of the 4G mobile broadband network will offer the highest data rates ever realized, with the best interactivity and quality. This network will cover Sweden�s capital Stockholm and the contract is Ericsson�s first for commercial deployment of LTE.
    T-Mobile, Vodafone, France T�l�com and Telecom Italia Mobile have also announced or talked publicly about their commitment to LTE.
    In August 2009 Telef�nica selected six countries to field-test LTE in the succeeding months: Spain, the United Kingdom, Germany and the Czech Republic in Europe, and Brazil and Argentina in Latin America.[53]
    On November 24th, 2009 Telecom Italia announced [54] the first outdoor pre-commercial experimentation in the world, deployed in Torino and totally integrated into the 2G/3G network currently in service.
    The Dutch telecom provider KPN announced that it will use LTE for its 4G network.[55]
    AlMadar Aljadeed, the biggest Libyan mobile phone operator, has announced that it will be adopting the LTE technology passing straight from 2G technology to 4G.[56]
    Despite initial development of the rival UMB standard, which was designed as an upgrade path for CDMA networks, most operators of networks based upon the latter system have also announced their intent to migrate to LTE, resulting in discontinuation of UMB development.
    Verizon Wireless completed its first test LTE data calls in August 2009 and plans to deploy LTE beginning in 2010 with system-wide deployment completed in 2013.[57]
    Bell Mobility has stated their intention to use LTE as a future upgrade to their HSDPA network.[58]
    Telus Mobility has announced that it will adopt LTE as its 4G wireless standard.[59]
    MetroPCS recently announced that it would be using LTE for its upcoming 4G network.[60]
    The newly formed China Telecom/China Unicom[61] and Japan's KDDI[62] have announced they have chosen LTE as their 4G network technology.
    Some newcomers to the mobile phone market are or will be using LTE for their networks.
    Cox Communications has its first tower for wireless LTE network build-out.[63] Wireless services should launch late 2009.
    The Irish telco Digiweb is currently operating a 4G service in the Dublin area.

Sprint had a major advantage with WIMAX because they had a huge head start. I haven't seen the numbers with WIMAX, but it seems the head start hasn't produced the numbers Sprint had hoped they would.

WIMAX seems like a great option for internet access as of today, in Portland they advertise WIMAX as being super fast and portable, showing commercials with internet on a train, at the park, at home, etc. When LTE hits the scene, it will be capable of the same thing, only faster. Also, every carrier in the USA, except for Sprint, will utilize LTE. There shouldn't be a place in this country where I don't have an LTE signal. Sprint chose the wrong 4G path, IMHO.
    02-03-10 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD