Hello all, I need some help in making an informed decision please. I am new to posting so excuse any mistakes. I have a curve 8330 v4.5.0.175 through verizon. My account is eligible for an upgrade, & because of travel abroad I'm thinking about the global ready bb bold. I'm torn in my decision if I really need it, with all of the new phones out there (androids) I'm havin a tough time deciding. Quite a few of my co-workers (former bb users) have switched to android & love it. I notice that w/ my curve the web browsing is sooooooo slow & it really doesn't have the available apps that the droid does. Can anyone tell me if all bb's web browsing is this slow? Does performance improve or differ w/ each bb? Or is it just cause I have this entry level bb? Should I stay w/ bb? Or bite the bullet, spend the money & defect to the droid? I could use the advice of you more advanced/experienced bb users, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 07:19 AM
    performance is subject to the phone you are using. The 8330 is outdated by today's standards on cell phones.

Androids do have alot of applications, alot of really cool ones, like using your phone as a touch pad mouse and keyboard for your PC via bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Really nice if you do alot of PowerPoint deals. Wi-Fi hot Spot, USB Tethering and alot of good production stuff.

And they have alot of fun games, and camera add on. -

Blackberries do have unsurpassed security when it comes to browsing and email encryption. so if your field requires things to be secure, i'd look into the new wave of RIM devices that will be shortly flooding the market.

As far as the "browser" goes, RIM's new webkit will be a massive step up in the browser game thrown on the table by RIM, but will it compete with Apple's Safari or browsers like xScope for Androids, i don't know. I use xScope on my Android and it keeps up rather well compared to Apple's Safari. But i've not seen RIM's new web-kit browser so i cannot speak from first hand experience.
    08-13-10 07:43 AM
    Blackberries do have unsurpassed security when it comes to browsing and email encryption. so if your field requires things to be secure, i'd look into the new wave of RIM devices that will be shortly flooding the market.

As far as the "browser" goes, RIM's new webkit will be a massive step up in the browser game thrown on the table by RIM, but will it compete with Apple's Safari or browsers like xScope for Androids, i don't know. I use xScope on my Android and it keeps up rather well compared to Apple's Safari. But i've not seen RIM's new web-kit browser so i cannot speak from first hand experience.
    As an expansion on this, if you do decide to stay with the BlackBerry, and do infact go with the Bold 9650, you will be able to update that device's operating system to 6.0 once VZW releases it, and then you'll be able to take advantage of the Webkit browser, which will vastly improve your browsing experience. Even jumping into the 9650 running 5.0 has a much improved browser over the 8330 running 4.5, you'll notice a HUGE difference.

I've used the webkit browser on the Torch 9800, and it is much better than the 5.0 browser. I don't have a ton of use on it, but just from playing around with it for a little bit, it was really slick.

It all really comes down to what you do most on your device. If you do a lot of web browsing, and you like the option to have a bunch of different applications and such, then maybe Android is the way to go. The web browser is fantastic, and there are a ton of apps available for the platform, however it's not as efficient of an OS as the BB OS, and like mjneid said, it's security is unsurpassed by any platform. If you do alot of messaging, e-mail, stuff like that, then you'd probably want to stick with BB, but if you do alot of web browsing, and a rich multimedia experience is your game, then maybe you should give Android a shot. Remember, you do get 30 days from the date of your upgrade to try out the device, if you don't like whatever one you get, you can swap it out for something else.

I also read that VZW may be releasing an Android world phone soon... I think I saw it on Android Central...
    08-13-10 09:27 AM
    Thank you very much for all the info, it helps a lot. You provided me w/ a lot of useful info that I was not aware of.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD