I am presently on contract with Verizon til Dec of this year. I wish to get a Blackberry that I can use in based in USA (east coast), Canada (Vancouver and Toronto) and Peru (Lima and north). I use Skype for most of my out of USA communications when I can set up my laptop. Should I wait for the new BOLD to come out, buy it and get it unlocked so I can use it with my family plan on Verizon. Does that work? Then put a SIM card in it when I go to Canada and Peru? If it allows me to log on to wireless Skype connections in Canada and Peru then I can use it basically for free in those countries as I use Skype out for 2.1 cents a minute for outgoing calls. That idea really attracts me but am not sure if I am just dreaming of cheap calls. Am I just getting things all mixed up here and I should buy a Curve out now on Verizon and forget about using Skype in Peru and Canada? One of my coworkers racked up a $1200 bill in about a week in Peru so I presently just shut of my phone and use Skype on the portable. I am a newby so any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Doug
    05-12-08 10:39 AM
    First, welcome to CB! Your addiction will be well fed here.

We' re still clawing at the door just for the device to drop. If you do purchase it, you will have the best BlackBerry has to offer, but immediately unlocking a first gen product is something I haven't encountered. I'm sure one of the guru's here on the site will post the info you need to guide you in the right direction.
    05-12-08 10:59 AM
    Thanks, I will wait for them to start shipping before deciding.

Doug
    05-12-08 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD