I've seen more commercials for the S7 in the last 2 days, than I have in the last 4 months for the Priv. What was the point of switching to Android if they're still not going to put a real effort into sales?
    03-14-16 12:39 AM
    I've seen more commercials for the S7 in the last 2 days, than I have in the last 4 months for the Priv. What was the point of switching to Android if they're still not going to put a real effort into sales?
    Classic Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-14-16 08:23 AM
    BlackBerry has no marketing. Never has.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    03-14-16 08:25 AM
    BlackBerry has no marketing. Never has.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    Never will

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 09:24 AM
    The thing is, you'd think that BB would take advertising more seriously with the Priv. Aside from possibly being its last gasp in the hardware business, they finally have a device with all of the apps that consumers want. I'll never understand this company. Even when they have an opportunity to do something reasonably smart and effective, they manage to p*ss it away.
    donnation, JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    03-14-16 10:27 AM
    The thing is, you'd think that BB would take advertising more seriously with the Priv. Aside from possibly being its last gasp in the hardware business, they finally have a device with all of the apps that consumers want. I'll never understand this company. Even when they have an opportunity to do something reasonably smart and effective, they manage to p*ss it away.
    All of their competitors have those same apps. It's just an android phone. There's nothing much there to advertise except the keyboard as a distinguishing feature, and it's a pretty obvious feature that people can see on the floor model at the store. BlackBerry doesn't have enough cash to compete in the advertising game with Apple and Samsung. BlackBerry bet the company once before on hardware when BB10 came out and they almost lost it all, if not for fresh investment from Prem. They don't intend to bet the company on hardware again and they couldn't advertise enough to satisfy the crackberry crowd without spending every last dime of their cash.
    03-14-16 05:09 PM
    What was the point of switching to Android if they're still not going to put a real effort into sales?
    The purpose of switching to Android is to save on BB10 development costs and gain access to third party apps. Spending money to try to increase sales is another matter.
    pdizzle27 and JeepBB like this.
    03-14-16 05:20 PM
    Blackberry had no choice but to venture into Android OS, like it or not OS10 has lost its appeal with the consumer and all the advertising in the world is not going to save it, that's not being negative, that's reality!!

As it has been stated many times on these forums, apps are what the consumer wants and if you don't have an ecosystem, you're toast.

All the advertising in the world wouldn't have saved OS10, it was over a year late being released to market and by that time Android and IOS where already cemented as the dominant platforms, period.
    03-14-16 05:35 PM
    All of their competitors have those same apps. It's just an android phone. There's nothing much there to advertise except the keyboard as a distinguishing feature, and it's a pretty obvious feature that people can see on the floor model at the store. BlackBerry doesn't have enough cash to compete in the advertising game with Apple and Samsung. BlackBerry bet the company once before on hardware when BB10 came out and they almost lost it all, if not for fresh investment from Prem. They don't intend to bet the company on hardware again and they couldn't advertise enough to satisfy the crackberry crowd without spending every last dime of their cash.
    I'm not suggesting that they even try to advertise on the level of Apple or Samsung. Why is it that when someone suggests that BB advertises more, people assume that means trying to spend as much as Apple or Samsung? That's like saying that Timex should try to advertise on Rolex's or Tag Heuer's level. Advertise within your means. If you have 300 million dollars in cash and 10 million for ad spending, use it. Use it to tell consumers why they should buy your product, but if you aren't willing to even try, you might as well shut down shop and go home, because it's downright stupid to make products and expect them to sell if no one knows they exist.
    FF22 and asublimeday like this.
    03-14-16 06:26 PM
    Its honestly too late to start any advertising for this phone. They had a short window before the other Android OEM's came out with their latest models and they missed it.
    Last edited by donnation; 03-14-16 at 08:32 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-14-16 06:38 PM
    Advertise what? An overpriced hunk of glass and plastic with a subpar keyboard and outdated specs? The Priv is simply another Android at the end of the day... One that still fails to land in the top percentile of its' peers... Relying on the mystery of the device is probably the smartest thing they could do at this point. Curiosity is the Priv's biggest selling point... Advertising wouldn't help unless they got it featured in tons of mainstream faucets (Hollywood, music, celebrity endorsements that go beyond one or 2 stars)... Making BlackBerry cool again to the masses... That's not exactly in their wheelhouse... Chen could tap into his Disney ties, but alas he doesn't dare... If I had that in my back pocket, I'd be scheming of ways to slip the Priv into Star Wars or Zootopia or even friggen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse... But nope, sponsoring the 2016 POTUS run and George Stephanopoulos in the AM on ABC is where he takes it... Still projecting the same image of boring corporate tightwads with no sense of fun... Lather, rinse, repeat... New OS, new specs, new name, but same ol' BlackBerry...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-14-16 06:53 PM
    Well if you ever do figure it out let the rest of us know. It's a mystery to most people what exactly they're thinking.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    03-14-16 07:53 PM
    Well if you ever do figure it out let the rest of us know. It's a mystery to most people what exactly they're thinking.
    I'll get right on that, as soon as I solve the mysteries of Loch Ness, Stonehenge, and the three seashell thing from Demolition Man. That still bugs the crap out of me(no pun intended).
    TgeekB, BergerKing and RoseBud68 like this.
    03-14-16 09:06 PM
    I'll get right on that, as soon as I solve the mysteries of Loch Ness, Stonehenge, and the three seashell thing from Demolition Man. That still bugs the crap out of me(no pun intended).
    LOL!
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-14-16 09:07 PM
    I get so sick of seeing: "If they would have had the apps" or "If they would have advertised" then this or that would have happened. It wasn't apps and it isn't advertising. Blackberry devices don't sell because of their name. BlackBerry's name in the cell phone world is complete garbage. People hate them. They hate everything about them. They think of them and think of devices that they desperately wanted to get rid of when iOS and Android came on the scene. They think of the Storm, they think of the Playbook. They think of years of same line of Bold and Curve phones released. They think of phones released without WiFi built in when it was common for WiFi to be built in to phones. They think of having a problem with their BlackBerry and being told to take it to their carrier for help and then the carrier telling them to call BlackBerry. Companies don't recover from that type of perception.

I see all the time "I showed someone my Priv or Passport and they were amazed." Yeah that's great, but they didn't buy one. They didn't buy one because even if they weren't just being polite, there was a little voice inside their head saying "Its a BlackBerry, stay away." They didn't buy one because they like whatever brand they are currently using and don't want to risk switching to a brand that they have grown to despise.

I don't think any amount of advertising in the world would convince people to buy the Priv, not if the BlackBerry name is attached to it.
    cribble2k likes this.
    03-14-16 09:47 PM
    and the three seashell thing from Demolition Man. That still bugs the crap out of me(no pun intended).
    Lol! You don't know how to use the three seashells? Hahahaha!
    03-14-16 11:14 PM
    Blackberry had no choice but to venture into Android OS, like it or not OS10 has lost its appeal with the consumer and all the advertising in the world is not going to save it, that's not being negative, that's reality!!

As it has been stated many times on these forums, apps are what the consumer wants and if you don't have an ecosystem, you're toast.

All the advertising in the world wouldn't have saved OS10, it was over a year late being released to market and by that time Android and IOS where already cemented as the dominant platforms, period.
    I disagree. Good advertising and a real sales effort would have sold phones. There were enough benefits in both hardware and software to sell enough phones to show that they were not going out of business. It would also have helped if wishy washy language hadn't come from the top. Developers didn't make apps because the future of BlackBerry appeared uncertain. They did very little to change that perception.
    If it's truly about the apps, then we'll see a difference with sales of the Priv. There won't be a difference, because they're still clueless as far as selling phones.
    03-15-16 12:44 AM
    Samsung has the most money to throw into marketing without making a dent in their wallet what do you expect
    03-15-16 12:58 AM
    Samsung has the most money to throw into marketing without making a dent in their wallet what do you expect
    What do I expect? Nothing anymore. Previously I'd expect a real release, product in the stores, Internet adds, tv commercials etc... I'm not saying they need to pay Lil Wayne to pour champagne on a passport in a commercial, but they should at least have a commercial.
    03-15-16 01:23 AM
    I get so sick of seeing: "If they would have had the apps" or "If they would have advertised" then this or that would have happened. It wasn't apps and it isn't advertising. Blackberry devices don't sell because of their name. BlackBerry's name in the cell phone world is complete garbage. People hate them. They hate everything about them. They think of them and think of devices that they desperately wanted to get rid of when iOS and Android came on the scene. They think of the Storm, they think of the Playbook. They think of years of same line of Bold and Curve phones released. They think of phones released without WiFi built in when it was common for WiFi to be built in to phones. They think of having a problem with their BlackBerry and being told to take it to their carrier for help and then the carrier telling them to call BlackBerry. Companies don't recover from that type of perception.

I see all the time "I showed someone my Priv or Passport and they were amazed." Yeah that's great, but they didn't buy one. They didn't buy one because even if they weren't just being polite, there was a little voice inside their head saying "Its a BlackBerry, stay away." They didn't buy one because they like whatever brand they are currently using and don't want to risk switching to a brand that they have grown to despise.

I don't think any amount of advertising in the world would convince people to buy the Priv, not if the BlackBerry name is attached to it.
    Lol! Laughing at all the hate references. You make some good points but I disagree with the idea that advertising and marketing wouldn't lead to sales. If you think about some of the features of the last 3 years, and consider the timing of when it was available, you can see that it should have been a very marketable device. Hdmi out, ability to play flac files, hub, peak, the ability to multi task, browser speed, expandable storage removable battery hi Def calling, video and voice on bbm, virtual keyboard that adapted to your typing style, different sizes and styles, blend. I'm not saying it would have been #1 in the market with an app gap, but they should have been able to sell enough to show they were a viable company. A company worth spending time to develop apps for.
    03-15-16 01:35 AM
    Given that I believe the sole purpose of the Priv is to provide an escape route for ex-BB10'ers and so keep them on BB phones, I'm not really surprised by the lack of general advertising. Crackberry is their advertising as it is the home for most of their target buyers.

And, as was said above, what would BB advertise to the "world"? - it's an expensive Android phone with a PKB surrounded by arguably higher-speced, certainly newer Android phones.
    03-15-16 03:18 AM
    Lol! Laughing at all the hate references. You make some good points but I disagree with the idea that advertising and marketing wouldn't lead to sales. If you think about some of the features of the last 3 years, and consider the timing of when it was available, you can see that it should have been a very marketable device. Hdmi out, ability to play flac files, hub, peak, the ability to multi task, browser speed, expandable storage removable battery hi Def calling, video and voice on bbm, virtual keyboard that adapted to your typing style, different sizes and styles, blend. I'm not saying it would have been #1 in the market with an app gap, but they should have been able to sell enough to show they were a viable company. A company worth spending time to develop apps for.
    Let's go over those features:

HDMI Out - Available on Android and iOS. Granted with an adaptor but still available. Plus if you use chrome cast or Apple TV you can do it wirelessly with each respective platform.

Hub Peak Flow - Not game changers for most people. Android and iOS both already have a notification center that you can reply directly from. Peak and flow are cool, but that's not going to be enough to make people switch platforms.

Multitasking - Android and iOS both multitask despite the nonsense thrown around here that they don't. Please don't reference Youtube playing in the background. Its not multitasking that allows BB10 to do that, its not having a youtube app. If you use the browser like BB10 does on Android and iOS YouTube will continue to play in the background.

Browser speed - Negligible as the BB10 browser isn't any faster than iOS or Android and is honestly not formatted correctly for a lot of web pages you visit using it.

Flac files - No one cares about that, not from a consumer standpoint. Most people wouldn't even know what that is.

Expandable storage - Here you have iOS beat, but tons of Android phones had this already.

Hi Def Calling - Purely a marketing gimmick

Video and Voice BBM - People could care less about BBM, its dead.

Virtual Keyboard that adapts - People already have this with Swiftkey on Android, which BlackBerry uses the license for their keyboard for. Same for iOS.

Different sizes and styles - basically keyboard or no keyboard. People don't want a keyboard.

Blend - Yeah that's a good feature, could have been much more if built upon.

Just my thought on your thoughts, not fully disagreeing with you but the things you mentioned I don't think were as big a game changer as you think.

Edit: Again, in my opinon none of that mattered anyway because people wouldn't touch BlackBerry with a 10 foot pole, which goes back to my earlier post on why. So even if those features you mentioned were game changers, it didn't matter, because people hate BlackBerry.
    Last edited by donnation; 03-15-16 at 06:03 AM.
    Elephant_Canyon and JeepBB like this.
    03-15-16 05:15 AM
    Advertise what? An overpriced hunk of glass and plastic with a subpar keyboard and outdated specs? The Priv is simply another Android at the end of the day... One that still fails to land in the top percentile of its' peers... Relying on the mystery of the device is probably the smartest thing they could do at this point. Curiosity is the Priv's biggest selling point... Advertising wouldn't help unless they got it featured in tons of mainstream faucets (Hollywood, music, celebrity endorsements that go beyond one or 2 stars)... Making BlackBerry cool again to the masses... That's not exactly in their wheelhouse... Chen could tap into his Disney ties, but alas he doesn't dare... If I had that in my back pocket, I'd be scheming of ways to slip the Priv into Star Wars or Zootopia or even friggen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse... But nope, sponsoring the 2016 POTUS run and George Stephanopoulos in the AM on ABC is where he takes it... Still projecting the same image of boring corporate tightwads with no sense of fun... Lather, rinse, repeat... New OS, new specs, new name, but same ol' BlackBerry...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Sub-par compared to what? The Classic? I'd say it's the second-best keyboard out there on a modern phone.

You're dramatically under-estimating people's stupidity. Apple drops sub-par phones on the masses every year with gimmicks like Siri and Force Touch and people beg for more. You'd be surprised how many people would ooh and ahh at a solid PKB on a modern android phone. As-is, people see BB on the phone and assume it's dead BB10 bogging down grandpa's phone. Really, it's a sleek, modern android with a great launcher and the best droid keyboard ever. That would sell, if people knew about it.
    03-15-16 07:22 AM
    Really, it's a sleek, modern android with a great launcher and the best droid keyboard ever. That would sell, if people knew about it.
    I see you're preparing the ground for the 1st April ER... When the Priv numbers are disappointing it'll be because "nobody knew about it", will it?
    03-15-16 08:50 AM
    Sub-par compared to what? The Classic? I'd say it's the second-best keyboard out there on a modern phone.

You're dramatically under-estimating people's stupidity. Apple drops sub-par phones on the masses every year with gimmicks like Siri and Force Touch and people beg for more. You'd be surprised how many people would ooh and ahh at a solid PKB on a modern android phone. As-is, people see BB on the phone and assume it's dead BB10 bogging down grandpa's phone. Really, it's a sleek, modern android with a great launcher and the best droid keyboard ever. That would sell, if people knew about it.
    Another "the masses will buy anything(except BlackBerry) because they're stupid" post. Shocking. Maybe if BB had done a better job with decision-making and execution in everything from products to marketing to developer relations over the last decade, "the masses" would be buying BlackBerry's instead of iPhones or Android devices.
    JeepBB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    03-15-16 10:24 AM
34 12