Remember, folks gave the touchscreen iPhone a chance. They took the time to learn it.
    Nope. The iPhone took little or zero learning. That was (and still is) its most important feature, way before all the ecosystem talk began to make the rounds.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    11-05-14 10:11 PM
    Nope. The iPhone took little or zero learning. That was (and still is) its most important feature, way before all the ecosystem talk began to make the rounds.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    While it was (is) simple to learn, I think it did have a learning curve. IIRC, I remember an Apple Ambassador saying Apple's greatest move was teaching reps to teach people how to use the "new" form of input.

A lot of people didn't like the touchscreen. I surely didn't. But Apple did have iTunes, and it did have mindshare.

I think its entrenched somewhat now, which is why it feels easy to learn. I do agree that intuitiveness is probably its greatest feature.
    11-05-14 10:17 PM
    EVERYTHING

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 10:18 PM
    Being part of Crackberry, a forum where users still live in the past and still think that Blackberrys sell like hotcakes
    One of the advantages of BlackBerry is being part of Crackberry, where one is often in the position of having to tolerate posts like the quoted piece of excrement. This builds character. :-)

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Mecca EL and spikesolie like this.
    11-05-14 10:19 PM
    Exactly the same for me. My Z30 was for repairing/replacement so I tried Mi3 as backup device. I was surprised when I tried to configure outlook.com email account with contacts, it was failed to configure. My contacts were synced with outlook.com account. I struggled very hard to bring back contacts to Mi3 thru outlook 2013 and then gmail. No provision of "forever" option in android for email configure.
    I had to throw Mi3 within 2 days and started using z10 for time being. Much happier using Z10 than Mi3. Now, waiting for my z30 to come back.
    11-05-14 10:31 PM
    Exactly! Everyone "knows" BlackBerry devices are horribly slow and probably can't do anything, so it's always a great excuse for when you don't want to respond. Just blame it on "your BlackBerry", everyone will immediately understand your pain, feel bad for you and maybe even buy you a drink (since you're obviously so broke that you can't even afford to buy a used iPhone 4 or a Samsung Galaxy young).

Posted via CB10
    Haha that's a good one but by me it's actually the opposite whoever knows me knows how many phones I have tried and still decided to go with BlackBerry because it's better and I make fun of all the things that the iPhone can't do and that android is very messy and slow so if something is not perfect then everyone is like BlackBerry sucks

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-05-14 11:06 PM
    exclusivity -
    �You are by definition a VIP because the masses are not permitted to use it
    And what's wrong with that? I like being an individual and my own sovereign. Sometimes thinking and following the "masses" isn't the best choice.

You see that by growing up. After reading many books, visiting the university and getting knowledge. And then you meat old friends and can't have a great conversation. It's a waste of time.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-06-14 02:31 AM
    under the radar -
    �People think you don't have any advantages, which gives you an advantage
    - No advantage?? .. BB10 blows your iCrap/fandroid off the table .. go away boy your outclassed
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-06-14 04:13 AM
    I've often thought of the advantages and lost sleep over it because when I lie down, my mind goes active about stuff like this.

Many of the advantages are not obvious at first, but after some use - they become great help to get things accomplished fast.
    11-06-14 05:19 AM
    i wished these things are nicely interpreted and well put up but my perspective i think we should avoid confrontation by shouting it loud and try to compare things.
    Same thing Mr. Chen is been projecting it since he joined, he was never degrading the product but yes he highlight some of the better features and slowing penetrating the market and when he will be in a position to go all out then he will.

no mater how much we shout about having better features and services but at the end the competetors are having some important deciding features in their OS which they cant compromise and not make then shift to another plateform. in other words the features in bb10 are not that much compelling enough to migrate the user base. some of the points highighted below.

1: inbox for gmail (i have been using it and trust me it way more compelling to manage your mails, swipe and pinning are very intuitive)
    blackberry hub has only one feature which is something called compelling for business users, ie file directory, u can see all the attachments in a single click.) but again even to delete a mail from hub u have to hold it to get a ugly side menu isons whom i still get confused for multiple select or copy or forward, these icons are so much confusing. again something not at all good, why cant we have swipe to do things as in inbox or ios where swipe come up with certain gestures?
    2: trackpad: again this is something one more brick which is good: no matter how much guys shoult about old tech and all, but i still know one thing when data update or constant text is required no one can replace computer physical keyboard. same goes with trackpad. no matter how much ppl will shout about old tech but this thing will always remain essential when data manupulation is needed. infact i recommend storm type device where there will be only trackad and two buttons on side to highlight text and cut and copy.
    3: app gap: this thing is not in bb hands, but they can overcome it by making their os penetration more. HOW: well chen is on right track for mobile device management, soon ppl will start flocking to bb10 when they see a mix of devices in companies and bb10 will be more acceptable OS.
    4: Native apps: one word, pathetic. bbm( very unstable in other plateforms and less features), doc to go: please dont open docs which have tables or pics, u will take your hairs out, need lot of work to do, remember( i dont remeber anyone use it now very confusing and less intutive).
    caender( see third party ios calenders apps),

so i would say take a route where we stop comparing mode and slowly make grounds, create a image of bb for business and for niche ppl and security and show only elite use it so dont bark on features etc, a cheap chineese phone have much more to offer. it make our work done and we are delighted by it.
    blackberry is pushing towards a software device management company who also offers smartphones for specific purpose, market it like that and thats what chen is also doing it. till the moment we have all the gaps filled. still bb10 has lots of features missing and they are updating it in every upgrade, wait till the time is right. dont do mistake of bbm again, showing red roses to ppl and when they use it they feel ditched.

anyways its all my opinion based on my company usage and my personal preference to support bb. i have been using bb phones from 2005 and apart from curve 8520 i brough every new offering including pearl and passport.
    thx for reading.
    11-06-14 06:23 AM
    And what's wrong with that? I like being an individual and my own sovereign. Sometimes thinking and following the "masses" isn't the best choice.

You see that by growing up. After reading many books, visiting the university and getting knowledge. And then you meat old friends and can't have a great conversation. It's a waste of time.

Posted via CB10
    That's one of the sad facts about most of today's current crop of pseudo adults, the lack individuality, originality, and are shackled by the fear of not "fitting in". Similar to a zombie herd. I own three of the current top players in the smart phone game. My teen daughters are iPhone users, and even they envy my Z10. Fresh out the box, I can do all I have need to do, without BBWorld, Play, iTunes, or any app store. Matter of fact, I can DELETE my app store, and still have a great OS and device.
    I love being the Excluded. I have a sleeper phone. People still stop and stare, when they see my Z10 paired to my ancient PlayBook. I love the Homer Simpson moments of "duh", when I show an android user that "...I can use that app too", especially when it loads faster. Or when I plug into HDMI and watch the latest episode of the Walking Dead on Showbox. Oh wait, ios doesn't have that app. Hmmm...nor HDMI?? Or 128GB of SD storage? Oh well, at least they're all cool...in herd.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 07:24 AM
    So, here's the thing. BB10 takes some learning but rewards you amply after you have learned how to use it.

IOS is very intuitive, but you are no more efficient on it on day 30, compared to day 1.

With BB10, you go through stages. Take texting: First, you go to the Hub or Text app and find the contact and type the message. Then, you figure out that Instant Actions is cool, so you just type "text XYZ" and are ready to go. Then, if you have a physical keyboard, you realize that you can just set a hotkey, e.g., "X", which if you long-press, takes you straight to messaging. This is truly badass efficient, and there is nothing on IOS or android that comes even remotely close.

That's the beauty of using BB10, especially on a Q10, Q5 or Passport. Unfortunately, we don't live in a world where people want to take the time to figure things out.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Wait what? Did not know about the hotkey! Awesome! Thank u! I am majorly addicted to my Q10. My kids are addicted to their Z10s

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    clickitykeys likes this.
    11-06-14 07:30 AM
    So, I have a blackberry because I can't afford an iphone? Are you serious..lol

The only thing that makes apple popular is the app selection and media flowability. The device design is stale and the UI has remained the same. It doesn't offer anything at all better than android in features and definitely doesn't give a better, smartphone to user experience that blackberry does. Blackberry will remain more useful than iOS while Android has the horsepower but doesn't use it right.

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    11-06-14 07:44 AM
    So,.. the keyboard and the phone are inferior, and yet... your Sony is a better "smart phone".

Not quite sure we have our priorities lined up in the right order.

Posted via CB10
    Never said it was better I'm saying the OS is better on the BlackBerry and the physical hardware like the exterior materials and the camera and video recorder are better on the Sony and if I had the two mixed into one phone I would be a happy camper.
    11-06-14 08:00 AM

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Everything takes a learning curve. When I worked as a carrier salesman I always had to work customers through the features of iOS. And how to get to everything. Whether the learning curve is 1 day or a month. There IS a learning curve.

11-06-14 08:03 AM
    Everything takes a learning curve. When I worked as a carrier salesman I always had to work customers through the features of iOS. And how to get to everything. Whether the learning curve is 1 day or a month. There IS a learning curve.

And there are plenty of iOS users out there that still don't know anything but the basic functions. I've met many iPhone users that are on their second or third iPhone and still never knew that they could "close" apps by double-clicking the home button.

But is that a bad thing? You can't miss what you never knew you had, and iOS is obviously a well built shiny black box that can handle users that couldn't care less about the advanced features inside the black box.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 08:26 AM
    And there are plenty of iOS users out there that still don't know anything but the basic functions. I've met many iPhone users that are on their second or third iPhone and still never knew that they could "close" apps by double-clicking the home button.

But is that a bad thing? You can't miss what you never knew you had, and iOS is obviously a well built shiny black box that can handle users that couldn't care less about the advanced features inside the black box.

Posted via CB10
    But let's define what a learning curve is then. To learn the basic functions of a phone; call, text, use the camera, browse the Web, doesn't take much. But to learn on your own to close apps, sync multiple email accounts, save and delete messages, mark favorite contacts and webpages, bookmarks, icloud setup and backup, air print, and so on. There's a difference behind how we define a learning curve.

11-06-14 08:43 AM
    But let's define what a learning curve is then. To learn the basic functions of a phone; call, text, use the camera, browse the Web, doesn't take much. But to learn on your own to close apps, sync multiple email accounts, save and delete messages, mark favorite contacts and webpages, bookmarks, icloud setup and backup, air print, and so on. There's a difference behind how we define a learning curve.

I guess it depends on how much of that each user "needs", which depends on how much they know is available, which depends on how much they know in general,.. which depends on the type of users your platform attracts.

Let's face it, the iPhone is so successful that it is bought by people that haven't even explored the "oven" functions of their toaster-oven.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 08:54 AM
    I guess it depends on how much of that each user "needs", which depends on how much they know is available, which depends on how much they know in general,.. which depends on the type of users your platform attracts.

Let's face it, the iPhone is so successful that it is bought by people that haven't even explored the "oven" functions of their toaster-oven.

Posted via CB10
    That's true. It's all relative. I may be able to type very fast on my Q10. I can install leaks and sync email etc... but what I know is dwarfed by what many others know here on Crackberry. I'm still learning new things. My post count may indicate "Crackberry Genius" but I'm definitely not one. Still consider myself a novice after 5 years. There are many features that blackberry devices are equipped with that I have never used.

11-06-14 10:54 AM

Obviously, everything has a learning curve. My point is that the curve for iOS is much shallower than that for bb10. It is not without reason that people say, "My 3-year-old can use an iPhone" or "Even my 80-year-old grandma can use an iPhone". It just isn't very complicated, which is a very good thing.

Pretending that the iPhone has a learning curve is like convincing yourself that walking a mile or two is exercise. It is, but that's a lot different from pumping iron at a gym. Android and BB10 are the equivalent of the gym. Generally, the more effort you invest in understanding the system, the more it rewards you with efficiency improvements. That's just not an iOS thing.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 11-07-14 at 11:52 AM.
    11-06-14 11:24 AM
    Owning a BlackBerry does not make one unique. Just saying.
    11-06-14 11:33 AM
    BlackBerry's advantage is they were they first (or best at the time) with Manageability and Security and still do both very well. So for customers looking for that or more likely already using BlackBerries, they have the clear advantage.

It's just that there are many other that don't consider either as being the top consideration when buying a smartphone.
    11-06-14 11:39 AM
    Word Substitution (formerly auto-text, and why did they have to change the name?) is an advantage, especially with a physical keyboard. There are some Android apps that try to do the same things, and I tried them on my S4, but I didn't find one that worked as well.

I think Word Substitution tends to be under-utilized by BlackBerry users, but for me it's a key feature.
    11-07-14 02:09 PM
    Word Substitution (formerly auto-text, and why did they have to change the name?) is an advantage, especially with a physical keyboard. There are some Android apps that try to do the same things, and I tried them on my S4, but I didn't find one that worked as well.

I think Word Substitution tends to be under-utilized by BlackBerry users, but for me it's a key feature.
    I agree that auto text was a huge advantage back in the legacy days, but with BB10 it was little more than an annoyance for me.

Perhaps all of this has changed since I quit using BB10, but when I was on the Z10 and the Q10 I noticed that auto text didn't always work depending on the application I was using. For example, it never once worked in GTalk and that is an app that is actually made by BlackBerry. The result was I would get used to typing in short form with auto text only to go into some things and discover that I no longer have the feature.

Again all of that may have been fixed by now with the software updates that have been coming out, but at the time, I found auto text on BB10 to be more frustrating than not having it all would have been.
    11-07-14 02:59 PM
    I really like the browser and the fact that it does not accumulate page after page like my Nexus. On both the iPhone and Android you end of with tons of open apps without realizing it. I do wish that the browser would reformat the font but at least the font can be adjusted unlike Safari.

My least favorite aspect is the camera app. I like using the iPhone app much better .
    BoldPreza likes this.
    11-07-14 10:49 PM
50 12