So the past month or so, I've been researching other smartphone devices (iPhone, HTC, Palm, etc.). Ironically, my 3RD Sprint Blackberry 8330 finally ceased to exist the other day, and I finally got my new replacement in the mail today. However, trying to get it set up, has been a pain in the a$$. In fact, everytime I have gotten a replacement Blackberry device, it's been a pain in the ***...like this time, and everytime, there has been a data outage...from web browser....to email push...to bbm, etc. It's becoming an inconvenient hassle. This is my 4th Blackberry in one year...

...which doesnt quite beat my record last year, of 6 Verizon Blackberries...(the 8830 World Edition).

I used to rely so much on my Blackberry, for emails, staying in touch with friends/family, keeping me pre-occupied in those boring/slow moments, etc. I've had Blackberries since I was 17 (now 23), for 6 years I've depended on devices that have gradually ceased to function/exist. Keeping up with my professional life, and personal life - is just not worth it with Blackberry.

- I'm not saying that any other device, is going to be 100% perfect. I'm not saying any other carrier is 100% perfect, either. However, after 10 devices in 2 years (imagine how many hours spent ((rather wasted)) on the phone with tech support, waiting on hold, how many days waiting for a new device to be shipped/received/activated/reloaded with personalized info), having to explain my problems countless times to customer service reps, tech support associates, supervisors, etc.

I'm tired, I'm frustrated, and I'm finally saying goodbye to devices that are incapable of going more than a few months without any issue. My time is too valuable to be wasting on Blackberrries, trying to get a replacement...because the devices simply cannot function any longer. It's pathetic how these devices are incapable of holding up more than a couple of months. (With Verizon, I went through 4 devices in less than 3 months)

I don't know what the future will hold for me in terms of communication devices. It's sad that I have to break away from a device that I've been familiar with for the past 6 years and relied on it for professional, academic, and personal reasons. But it's time to go.

I know there are millions of Blackberry/Crackberry users out there that rely heavily upon their devices on a daily/hourly/minute(ly?)/second(ly?) basis, and I hope they do not have to go through the same frustrations/wasted time as I have. I wish you all the best in your professional and personal endeavors, and I'll be checking back on Crackberry.com soon to see all the interesting updates/newest devices that are released by RIM. Hopefully in the future, there will be a reliable enough, stable enough device that will warrant me to return....but at this point, I'm hoping all the other devices are not going to be as useless as RIM's....and if they are, ...I'm going back to pen, paper, stamps and landline phones.
    12-22-09 07:40 PM
    seems you had a pretty bad experience with the BB. Best wishes for your new device ,but would love to see you back. Merry Christmas.
    12-22-09 11:03 PM
    Never had problemes with mines...

Good luck...
    12-22-09 11:14 PM
    I've had several berrys over the years, from the 950 to the 8320 and nearly every step in between. I've rarely, if ever had a hardware problem. Software probs were minor, if they occurred at all. Judging from your experience, you're either the unluckiest guy in the world, or there's a degree of user error. Since I like to play the averages, chances are it's the latter.
    12-23-09 12:22 AM
    Every time a carrier sends out a "replacement" rim device-- it's a refurb. No matter what else they may claim-- IT'S A REFURB. Hence, a chain of events (or rather chain of one defective pos unit after another) that brought you to this sad end.

Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 05:08 AM
    Good luck and best wishes wherever you land. I hope your next experience is a better one.

12-23-09 05:27 AM
    I'm on my 3rd BB myself and you're right, it IS a PITA, but then... I've never had a device before that does so much and has such a vast array of applications, so... I guess I put up with the kinks in order to enjoy the perks.
    12-23-09 07:45 AM
    blackberry at 17!!! WOW!!! yesterday was probably a PITA with the outage....talk about bad timing....good luck.
    12-23-09 07:48 AM
    Good luck and Happy Holidays.
    12-23-09 07:56 AM
    4 BBs in one year?

Wow.

I'm on my one and only BB I've ever had - now going on 3 years. And I've not been particularly easy on it either.

Maybe it's the user...
    12-23-09 08:12 AM
    Every time a carrier sends out a "replacement" rim device-- it's a refurb. No matter what else they may claim-- IT'S A REFURB. Hence, a chain of events (or rather chain of one defective pos unit after another) that brought you to this sad end.

Good luck

Don't know why everyone always knocks the referbs so badly. They are just as good if not better that the new units. I'm on my second 8310 in a year and a half. The first one (the new one) lasted about 6 months, the referb one has been going strong now for the rest of that time.

Also I use referb parts everyday in my line of work and the referbed parts has a lower failure rate than the new parts.

I'm going to have to go with some of the above posters and say it seems like some sort of user error. From what I can see from the people that I know with those phones, they seem to be build pretty solid cause they are not very easy on phones.

12-23-09 08:12 AM
    As I always say I don't know how someone could go through a half dozen of the SAME phone in a year. BBs are definitely not for you and you should switch. I say that with no malice. If I bought a half dozen Hondas in a year and they all had problems you better believe I'd never buy another Honda. I don't understand why people continue doing the same thing expecting different results.
    12-23-09 10:16 AM
    Eh, it happens. There can just be a bunch of bad refurbs. It happens. The data outages certainly don't help though.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience...hope you find a smartphone that works for you. Perhaps Android?
    12-23-09 10:19 AM
    The plus side with refurbs is that they are inspected and if any weak areas are found they are strengthened and improved. Yeah, for such a premium product quality control is up there and should have minor to no flaws. But if for any reason the parts or what have you aren't 100%, refurbished means improving those problematic areas, which is why RudeBoy37 says the refurb parts have a lower failure rate compared to new. So unless the people refurbishing the units do a poor job, don't give a refurb a thumbs down so quickly. Some refurbs I got worked excellently like new.

12-23-09 10:30 AM
    Who knew my time away would be so short? lol - I finally tossed my Blackberry 8330 Curve in late Jan...and purchased the Samsung Moment. What a piece of *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*. I was ready to return it the next day, gave it a week and decided it was just not worth the hassle. It was such a poor device - from software to hardware issues. Clearly a device that was rushed to market.

With my job and other obligations, I had to rely on a device with strong email capabilities. I ended up purchasing the Spring 9630 Tour. It has worked phenomenal for the past 3 weeks that I have had it. I'm so glad that I am back, and that RIM has put out a device that is reliable, stable, and is such a great looking phone. *ahhhhhhhhhh* so glad to be back ;-) This is the 4th blackberry model I have owned. So glad I have it...and glad to be back to the crack ;-)
    03-07-10 09:40 AM
    Who knew my time away would be so short? lol - I finally tossed my Blackberry 8330 Curve in late Jan...and purchased the Samsung Moment. What a piece of *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*. I was ready to return it the next day, gave it a week and decided it was just not worth the hassle. It was such a poor device - from software to hardware issues. Clearly a device that was rushed to market.

With my job and other obligations, I had to rely on a device with strong email capabilities. I ended up purchasing the Spring 9630 Tour. It has worked phenomenal for the past 3 weeks that I have had it. I'm so glad that I am back, and that RIM has put out a device that is reliable, stable, and is such a great looking phone. *ahhhhhhhhhh* so glad to be back ;-) This is the 4th blackberry model I have owned. So glad I have it...and glad to be back to the crack ;-)
    Welcome back.

03-07-10 09:46 AM
    so far so good to me.. .
    03-07-10 11:14 AM
    welcome....verizon wants to put me in a tour next month....debating whether to buy it for 100.00 or wait until my ne2 in december....
    03-07-10 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD