As Android gets discussed all the more on CB (in the context of BlackBerry switching to Android, developing for Android, BBM for Android, Android as an alternative if BB is it all goes wrong), I find myself increasingly aghast at some of the myths and falsehoods that are peddled here as truth about Android. As I said in a post elsewhere, if you listen to certain posters here, not only does Android suck, but it'll also give you herpes and run off with your wife.

So this post is an attempt to clear up a few things, and help CB users realise that Android perhaps isn't what you imagine it to be.

Who I am to say this? An average Joe, long time BlackBerry user (and admirer) who switched to Android buying the HTC One a few months ago. These points are entirely based on my experiences, observations, and things I've learnt.

1. Android is laggy
    You will find vastly different experiences with different handsets - just because you've used a low spec, cheap or old device doesn't mean you can speak for the entire Android user experience. Use any flagship Android phone - certainly the HTC One - and you'll forget the concept of lag ever existed.

2. Android is a really poor OS
    Similar to point one, there are many different skins applied to Android, meaning that Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG etc all effectively have different OSs, which all look, feel and operate differently. There is a common feel and thread sure, but there is no single 'Android' experience. If you've used a handset you didn't like, try another (and that's not even considering stock)

3. All Android is infected with malware
    Okay, so let's start with statistics 101. There are over a billion Android devices in active use worldwide, so it only makes sense that a higher percentage of overall malware found is on the world's most widely used operating system. Secondly, much/most of this has to be actively installed by the user - Google disable installation of programmes/apps by a third party by default, and much of the malware you hear about is installed by the user by actively disabling this setting (and also downloading something dodgy).

4. Google have no respect for privacy
    I'm not going to argue this one, but please don't use this argument if you've installed or use Whatsapp, Facebook, Rovio apps, and a myriad of other apps and services which you probably already use.

5. Communication apps are incomparable on BlackBerry
    Sadly no longer true. The impending arrival of BBM aside, I was amazed by how good the mail client on the HTC One was, the keyboard is great, Hangouts is great. Others have caught up.

This is not a post to bash BlackBerry - I love BB and still actively and happily use my 9900, and will continue to root for all things BlackBerry. But if you love phones, tech, mobile in general then educate yourself a bit - just because you love one company or OS doesn't mean you have to spread misinformation and hatred about another.

Finally, if you don't already, check out the Mobile Nations Android site Android Central if you really want to learn more about the real world of Android - like CrackBerry, it's great.
    09-04-13 11:51 AM
    #1: not true. I have a GS3 (stock 4.1.2) and I experience lag in certain apps.

#3: there are a lot of iOS devices too, so your statistics 101 argument doesn't work here.

#4: it's one thing to install intrusive apps vs. running an intrusive OS.

#5: the native mail app on my GS3 is s**** (see #1; from what I understand, it's like that on the Nexus 4 also.) So it may be really good on the HTC One, but you can't generalize for all Android devices.

I'm with you on the "don't hate for the sake of hating," aka fanboyism. I'm speaking from my experience currently using a GS3 as a daily driver.
    Last edited by raino; 09-04-13 at 12:36 PM. Reason: ninja edit
    STV0726 likes this.
    09-04-13 12:33 PM
    Inb4 people getting banned.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-04-13 12:35 PM
    Apps are laggy because they have been written badly. All you get from Android is a framework which is quite nice.

The OP is right with his points, however Samsung has the tendency to use badly written apps for their features which make the whole experience moot..

Statistics 101.... use brain.exe and your golden. there are malicious things on iOS....

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 12:54 PM
    I don't hate on Android for no reason.

Just like how some people don't like certain food, I just don't like the way Android runs. I don't like the look of it, don't like any of the icons or menus. I don't like how you navigate throughout the phone. I hate the keyboard(s).

I'm not going to go over to Android Central and tell them this, but I feel like I can say it here: I pretty much hate everything about Android.

The only reason I don't totally hate it is because I'm thankful for it being open source, or whatever has allowed some Android apps to run on BlackBerry 10. Other than that though, I hate Android. (I don't hate all things non-BlackBerry, I think iOS is fine, though I'd never buy an iPhone, I enjoy my iPod touch).

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 01:04 PM
    The only thing I hate in the world is sea urchin sushi. There I've said it.

I don't hate any device. It's an object for goodness sake. What I will suggest is that devices and OSes may not suit your needs, fit your eye or feel truly comfortable for you. That is the case with Android for me. I looked at a Nexus 7 again today and I just don't feel comfortable with the Android experience. It doesn't work for me. But hate it? No. I simply moved on...and back to something I am comfortable with - my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    21stNow likes this.
    09-04-13 01:34 PM
    The only thing I hate in the world is sea urchin sushi. There I've said it.

I don't hate any device. It's an object for goodness sake. What I will suggest is that devices and OSes may not suit your needs, fit your eye or feel truly comfortable for you. That is the case with Android for me. I looked at a Nexus 7 again today and I just don't feel comfortable with the Android experience. It doesn't work for me. But hate it? No. I simply moved on...and back to something I am comfortable with - my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    I prefer the Android OS, but have great respect for a post like this. Many of the things that I like about Android turn other people off. I like the infinite level of choices that I get with Android. Some people don't like this because it makes things too complicated, or find that with so many choices no one option is polished enough for their use. Some people don't like the inconsistency across Android devices made by different OEMs. If you feel comfortable with a Samsung phone, you may pick up an HTC phone and feel like you are learning everything all over again.

I understand these feelings and know that most people want their phones to work with minimal thought. I like to explore phones and find out as much as possible about the different features, even if I won't use them most of the time.

I agree with the intent of the thread in that having correct knowledge of any platform is better than just bashing it without understanding it or based on false/exaggerated statements about the platform.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-04-13 01:45 PM