Hi, I was wondering if we are being silly or have we discovered a really silly flaw in the Blackberry OS design.

Do any of you have the option to add a phone number to an existing contact in your address book?

My wife has a Curve and I have the 8800, and neither of us do.
    12-17-08 11:33 AM
    You can't do this on a BB.

There is an app that allows you to do this. I forget the name of it though.
    12-17-08 11:36 AM
    yes, you select the contact, press the menu key, press edit and you can go in and add any new info such as phone #s etc.
    12-17-08 11:36 AM
    That is a glaring oversight in BB design. You shouldn't need a third party application to do this. It's a basic necessity of the phone.

How can it be suggested for the next OS update?
    12-17-08 11:38 AM
    ppbb,
    I think you're missing the point. I don't want to have to write the number out or copy and paste it into a contact. I want to add it to an existing contact, without over complicating it.
    12-17-08 11:40 AM
    That is a glaring oversight in BB design. You shouldn't need a third party application to do this. It's a basic necessity of the phone.

How can it be suggested for the next OS update?
    I agree it would be nice to have this feature.

Not sure where to write suggestions.
    12-17-08 11:41 AM
    i see. sorry.
    12-17-08 11:42 AM
    I see what you're saying, ujama. You say you want to be able to click on the recently called out or in number and see an option "add to existing contact". The amount of "clicks" you would have to perform to get that done is the same amount of "clicks" or moves it takes to copy the number. I don't really understand why the need for the "add to contacts" way. When you can just copy it using the same amount of energy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 01:56 PM
    Question, if a person that isn't in my contacts calls me and it shows up as, say, 443 944 3941 in my call log, is there a place where I can click add to contacts and add that person's name and save it?
    12-17-08 03:18 PM
    Question, if a person that isn't in my contacts calls me and it shows up as, say, 443 944 3941 in my call log, is there a place where I can click add to contacts and add that person's name and save it?
    That's the OP question
    12-17-08 03:42 PM
    I think the OP's question was whether you could do that to add to an existing contact. The second question was can you create a completely new contact from that number by adding their name. I believe you can, yes. If I had such a number in my log I'd verify this but I believe you just highlight the new number and hit the menu button and "add to contacts" should be an option, just like with an e-mail address.
    12-17-08 04:32 PM
    ppbb,
    I think you're missing the point. I don't want to have to write the number out or copy and paste it into a contact. I want to add it to an existing contact, without over complicating it.
    The direct add-to-existing-entry option would be nice, and I've had it on previous phones that had less functionality. However, the copy-paste functionality the crackberry has that I've never had in a phone before is wonderful. I realize it's not quite as quick as a direct add-to option would be, but at least it's there and usable. Another nice thing is that in places like your calls list, the OS assumes you'd want to copy the entire number to your clipboard at a click rather than having to scroll across the number to select it as you'd have to do within an email or a web page.
    12-17-08 04:54 PM
    I think the OP's question was whether you could do that to add to an existing contact. The second question was can you create a completely new contact from that number by adding their name. I believe you can, yes. If I had such a number in my log I'd verify this but I believe you just highlight the new number and hit the menu button and "add to contacts" should be an option, just like with an e-mail address.

if anyone wants to know another flaw, if u do this, it will always add the # as a work phone # grrrrrrrrrrrrr pises m off cuz then I have to go back and edit it back to ether mobile or home
    12-17-08 09:08 PM
    I have been adding and editing contact info since I received the device. Select 'edit' and make the changes.
    12-17-08 10:03 PM
    if anyone wants to know another flaw, if u do this, it will always add the # as a work phone # grrrrrrrrrrrrr pises m off cuz then I have to go back and edit it back to ether mobile or home
    i just noticed that today... it was a little annoying, but at least we can cut and paste....
    12-17-08 10:06 PM
    Its not really a flaw. Whether true or not the observation from this site was that BlackBerry was a work phone and this is still something from the old days.

12-17-08 10:08 PM
    Its not really a flaw. Whether true or not the observation from this site was that BlackBerry was a work phone and this is still something from the old days.

yea, kind of figured that... still annoying tho, especially since all these os updates are done way after BBs became mainstream
    12-17-08 10:32 PM
    but hey, at least it gives me a reason to play with my curve when theres nothing to do, lol
    12-17-08 10:33 PM
    The app SaveNumberAs will take care of this issue. Seems like RIM could have thought of this. SaveNumberAs was first created to take care of not being able to choose how you wanted to save a contact number. If you chose to save a new number to your address book. By default, it would always be saved as a work number. SaveNumberAs gave you the ability to save it as a mobile, work, or home number. The most recent version of this app now allows you to save a number to an existing contact.

12-18-08 04:25 AM
    Yeah, that's annoying. Also lame, I recently switched from Tmobile to VZW, and when they transferred my contacts, it listed them all as (OTHER). I didn't realize it til I got home and then I had to spend some time copy and pasting.
    12-18-08 05:03 AM
    The app SaveNumberAs will take care of this issue. Seems like RIM could have thought of this. SaveNumberAs was first created to take care of not being able to choose how you wanted to save a contact number. If you chose to save a new number to your address book. By default, it would always be saved as a work number. SaveNumberAs gave you the ability to save it as a mobile, work, or home number. The most recent version of this app now allows you to save a number to an existing contact.

This app does not appear to exist, even though it shows up in a search.
    12-18-08 05:41 AM
    It's a nice to have feature, that is for sure but, it ain;t there so, here's the work around.

Highlight the number on-screen. Press Menu and then Copy. Open Address Book and scroll to the target entry. Press Menu, select Edit, scroll to destination phone number and Paste. Save and it's done.

This is not totally slick but it also works with email addresses, postal addresses or any text you want.
    12-18-08 05:54 AM
    SaveNumberAs can be found using google using "SaveNumberAs Blackberry"

Also search in crackberry's app store.

12-18-08 06:48 AM
    SaveNumberAs can be found using google using "SaveNumberAs Blackberry"

Also search in crackberry's app store.

Try the link returned by that search. it brings me to a page with apps, none of which is SaveNumberAs.
    12-18-08 07:03 AM
    This is not totally slick but it also works with email addresses, postal addresses or any text you want.
    It's actually pretty slick in my book (let's see them do that on an iPhone!), for sure. It's just not totally satisfying to the geek in me.
    12-18-08 07:07 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD