i've had mine about 3 weeks.... i havent played world of warcraft since i got it... all i do is search for new cool things for it all night!

i told all my friends that "crackberry" is saying it mildly LOL
    11-24-08 09:25 PM
    It will only get worse my friend!
    11-24-08 09:30 PM
    I think I use it more now than when I first got it. I really only use it when I'm alone though. Can't give a phone more attention than I do my wife.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 09:35 PM
    I disagree somewhat. I just got complimented by my bosses as to how I use my BlackBerry. I couldn't be this organized with any phone. However, do I need to stand in line to get the new Storm? No, I like what I have and don't need the must have new BlackBerry. So I love the BlackBerry and what it can do but not obsessed by it.

Does this make sense? Lol
    Not entirely. The fact that you (or I or anyone else) is proficient with the BB
    and use them to max capability does not change the fact that it is a phone
    and has zero addictive qualities. Personally I just think it is fashionable to say
    "I am addicted to my BB" or "I just can't put it down" or some other foolishness
    to be in the "in club"

I use my phone all day every day, but I still recognize it for what it is.
    A phone. I leave the house without it, I'm not going back to get it. I put it
    down and leave it wherever for hours at a time. When I need it I need it.
    When I don't it is an afterthought. Does THAT make sense?
    11-24-08 09:55 PM
    Not entirely. The fact that you (or I or anyone else) is proficient with the BB
    and use them to max capability does not change the fact that it is a phone
    and has zero addictive qualities. Personally I just think it is fashionable to say
    "I am addicted to my BB" or "I just can't put it down" or some other foolishness
    to be in the "in club"

I use my phone all day every day, but I still recognize it for what it is.
    A phone. I leave the house without it, I'm not going back to get it. I put it
    down and leave it wherever for hours at a time. When I need it I need it.
    When I don't it is an afterthought. Does THAT make sense?
    It does and I agree to an extant. I don't check my e-mails in the middle of the night or leap up every time I hear a beep or ding. I don't have 4.5 because I can wait for the official carrier release. Also, admittedly I didn't join this forum for a few months because I didn't feel as "dedicated" as a lot of BlackBerry users.

Having said that I love that the BlackBerry I have allows me to be more efficient in my life and my work. I do look at it as more than a phone because it has my contacts and my schedule. Its great that you're not addicted to your BlackBerry or any phone. Because I do a lot of work on my phone I would go back to get it. So in a vicious circle the phone makes me more efficient and the BlackBerry I found is the best device that allows me to do that.

So while I'm not "addicted" to my phone anymore than my TV or car, I can appreciate what the BlackBerry has done for me.

Did that make more sense? :-)

11-24-08 11:22 PM
    BuddyL I think you and I are on the same page, except for the
    leaping for every alert (I don't) and checking it in the middle of the
    night (mine is off and nowhere near where I sleep)

I do agree that it has helped me immensely both personally and
    professionally (although I wish the Mayor would lose my email
    address). My point is only that there is no way a person can
    possibly be addicted to a phone. I mean really, get real.

You and I have more commonality than differences. But we have
    in many threads and I am in no way trying to damage that.

On this particular issue, and with your post that I quoted I think
    on this matter you and I may actually be the smartest guys in
    the room.

Now I think we BOTH make sense.
    11-24-08 11:36 PM
    You mean we can both agree to agree? Lol. Thanks for what you said. I do think you're right and I'm glad you could see that I felt as you do. Lately with so many threads having people disagreeing and flaming each other they may be surprised to see 2 people actually in agreement. :-)

11-24-08 11:43 PM
    It will come and go and come again.

I remember when I got my first Blackberry about 2 years ago. It was like someone injected heroine into my blood. There was of course a honeymoon phase, like any consumer electronic. Afterwards, I was afflicted by what I like to call "Red light paranoia".
    Everyone with a blackberry knows what I'm talking about. You watch for it constantly. Subconsciously you become a slave to your blackberry and learn to hate, fear, and revere it. Before long, that little red blinking light starts telling you what you are going to eat for breakfast, where your are going to sit during the board meeting, and which CD you are going to play on the drive home from work through the parking lot known outside tidewater as the Hampton roads bridge/tunnel.

About 6 months after your affliction reaches full effect, you hit a second wind. Some major event where your little pocket Masterblaster saved the day rekindles your fondness for it. In my case it was getting lost on a drive down to Tampa to see the better half. After this landmark event, your blackberry is less your slave and more the Butch to your Sundance.

You go to the bar together. People see you holding each other everywhere. Your significant other starts referring to your blackberry by name and asking if he's gonna be at dinner too. You get sick and your blackberry goes to work and everyone asks where you are. Non-Blackberry users don't understand at all. Iphones wizz by, but their owners mysteriously dissappear in the mountains because they couldn't get cell service and used up all their battery power letting their friggin phones decide what color turtle neck to wear with their jeans and sneakers. Equally as mysteriousl, your cat has a little blackberry logo shaved into her side. She is not as impressed as you and your blackberry are. You and Blackberry even consider going into the crime fighting business, but you decline when you remember that bad guys usually carry guns and while an amazing friend, blackberries do not make good shields.

Then comes the day that your blackberry starts coughing. First it's just some hacking and lagging. You take the usual measures, but this time somethings wrong. Eventually, you realize that your little handheld friend is dying. You lay down on the couch and weep softly under the guise of "Old Yeller is on, shutup". Eventually, with it's last dying breath, your blackberry delivers it's last email and quietly fades into the night. You hold a funeral the following morning. Your neighbors swear they heard Taps being played faintly. But all is fair in love and war, because while the scars still heal from your loss, you are learning to love your new companion.....the Blackberry Bold.

No, it's not a permanent addiction. It's an affliction really.
    Last edited by Norsk; 11-25-08 at 12:27 AM.
    11-25-08 12:19 AM
    It will come and go and come again.

It was like someone injected heroine into my blood.
    Hyperbole aside this is just asinine

There was of course a honeymoon phase, like any consumer electronic. Afterwards, I was afflicted by what I like to call "Red light paranoia".
    Everyone with a blackberry knows what I'm talking about.
    Equally asinine. Not everyone experiences this. I most certainly did not

You watch for it constantly. Subconsciously you become a slave to your blackberry and learn to hate, fear, and revere it. Before long, that little red blinking light starts telling you what you are going to eat for breakfast, where your are going to sit during the board meeting, and which CD you are going to play on the drive home from work through the parking lot known outside tidewater as the Hampton roads bridge/tunnel.
    You obviously have nothing else important to occupy your time. Slave?
    Revere? Get a friggin grip pal.

About 6 months after your affliction reaches full effect, you hit a second wind. Some major event where your little pocket Masterblaster saved the day rekindles your fondness for it. In my case it was getting lost on a drive down to Tampa to see the better half. After this landmark event, your blackberry is less your slave and more the Butch to your Sundance.
    Yeah, Whatever.

No, it's not a permanent addiction. It's an affliction really.
    I am not even going to try to shoot down the rest of your massively insane
    post. But really, addiction? affliction? You need to get out more. It is a effin phone pal.
    Get used to it.
    11-25-08 01:18 AM
    AG, rotfl.

11-25-08 01:24 AM
    Hyperbole aside this is just asinine

Equally asinine. Not everyone experiences this. I most certainly did not

You obviously have nothing else important to occupy your time. Slave?
    Revere? Get a friggin grip pal.

Yeah, Whatever.

I am not even going to try to shoot down the rest of your massively insane
    post. But really, addiction? affliction? You need to get out more. It is a effin phone pal.
    Get used to it.

Awww, someone woke up on the serious side of the bed this morning. Relax, bud. It's just a little english comp fun :P If you took my post seriously and couldn't just read it for the silly light-hearted distraction it is, I'd suggest maybe YOU need to get out more......:P
    11-25-08 10:36 AM
    Suggest what you wish, it is still a ridiculous concept.
    Light-hearted or not.
    11-25-08 11:05 AM
    Seriously, there are techno-junkies, who are addicted to the latest gizmos out there.
    11-25-08 12:04 PM
    Seriously, there are techno-junkies, who are addicted to the latest gizmos out there.
    That's why I don't feel like a true "addict". I had my 7100 for 2 1/2 years and I've now had my 8820 for 6 months and would be happy if I could keep it for another 2 years.

So while people are clamoring for Storms, Bolds, and every other new must have I will be happy with this phone that does exactly what I need it to do.

11-25-08 12:11 PM
    AG (amazing) you have major isues man. This post was labeled addictions... So generally people who have more needs for their BB's will share their comments. Or new BB users will be expressing themselves as having an addiction. Very understandable. If you don't share the same opinion, you should have left it with a small commnet. Instead, you come off as an a**.... Pipe it down dude, Obviously from the amount of posts you have, you are more than an average blogger on the site, and owning 2 BB's makes you just as involved with ur phone as much as anyone else. And last... your comment about you and BuddyL being the only smart ones... uncalled for. You need to look at yourself and relax. You are obviously in need of other distractions!!! If you catch my drift. And for the rest of us, please share your thoughts as much as you want. Very entertaining as always. There would be no reason for this website otherwise.....
    11-25-08 01:32 PM
    Wow AG....give it a break man. Go get a hot rock massage or something. Allow others to share their thoughts without trying to always have the last word. Maybe the Mayor (you mentioned earlier) should send you to some sensitivity training.
    For the others, as always a good laugh and lotsa fun reading!
    11-25-08 05:15 PM
    Technically All Addictions are Temporary.

We all have a Lifespan ya know.

LoL
    11-25-08 05:18 PM
    Nine months and I am as obssessed as ever!!
    11-25-08 05:38 PM
    Technically All Addictions are Temporary.

We all have a Lifespan ya know.

LoL
    So I can get this monkey off my back eventually? Lol

11-25-08 05:38 PM
    Yeah its a true addiction I got my bb curve like 3 months ago and I can't even leave my house with out it. Its always at my side.

11-26-08 08:46 PM
    Well the time has come and I have decided to spoil myself w/my first Blackberry! Over the past three ::wonderful:: days I have come to realize that I am not spoiling myself w/a new toy, rather spoiling myself w/a new friend!! I find myself checking my Blackberry Pearl about every 10 minutes (literally); whether I am home or at work (that worries me)!! Will this Blackberry attachment subside after the "newness" wears off... or will it only get worse?!
    Hah! The more you use it the more you find that it can do. I have the ability to telecommute from my blackberry using a vnc client to manage the servers at my lab. I can also use various programs to connect back to my desktop at home and work if I need anything from them. I have access to all of my security cameras from my blackberry and I can use my work blackberry as a modem should I require 128k internet on my laptop.

Between my 2 berries, I am completely free of the office and apartment.

Dm

11-26-08 09:18 PM
    The addiction is forever! As someone else said, 'Once you go Crack, you never go back!'

11-26-08 09:21 PM
    First a Dictionary is needed>

Addiction - –noun
    the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

1595–1605; < L addictiōn- (s. of addictiō) a giving over, surrender. See addict, -ion

Addict - –noun
    1. a person who is addicted to an activity, habit, or substance: a drug addict.

–verb (used with object)
    2. to cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on an addictive substance, as alcohol or a narcotic.

3. to habituate or abandon (oneself) to something compulsively or obsessively: a writer addicted to the use of high-flown language; children addicted to video games.

Origin:
    1520–30; < L addictus assigned, surrendered (ptp. of addīcere, equiv. to ad- ad- + dic- (var. s. of dīcere to fix, determine) + -tus ptp. suffix )

Addicted - –adjective
    devoted or given up to a practice or habit or to something psychologically or physically habit-forming (usually fol. by to): to be addicted to drugs.

ad�dict (ə-dĭkt')
    tr.v. ad�dict�ed, ad�dict�ing, ad�dicts
    To cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on a habit-forming substance: The thief was addicted to cocaine.
    To occupy (oneself) with or involve (oneself) in something habitually or compulsively: The child was addicted to video games.
    n. (ād'ĭkt)
    One who is addicted, as to narcotics or a compulsive activity.
    A devoted adherent; a fan: "We are all . . . addicts of change" (Christopher Lasch).

So while some of you disagree on this by definition a BlackBerry can be ADDICTED TO just as well as any other item, product, substance, or to sum it up THING ON EARTH.

And by a rule Addictions are very hard to break or stop!

So in my answer no the ADDICTION can not be temporary with out help.
    First rule of AA is to ADMIT you are ADDICTED.
    Last edited by BBonCrack; 11-26-08 at 09:39 PM.
    11-26-08 09:36 PM
    I got my blackberry in July but I really didn't do that much with it because I didn't know all the features it had. Coming to websites/forums like these is what really made me become addicted to the phone. After I started downloading programs and apps and learning how to use the phone, I find myself using it all the time. This is the only phone I've ever had that I would be on all day even if I didn't talk on it.

11-26-08 09:48 PM
    AG I usually agree with you but somebody obviously pissed in your cornflakes this morning...most of the people posting those things are making funnies. Lighten up...just a tad, it's good for the heart.
    11-26-08 10:55 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD