Off topic...I just want to point out how little attention has been paid to the ability of using your Android tablet to send an APK from Google Play to your BB10 device. Yes you lose some Google functions but so far I have not any problems. The Google Play store has an app for that.
    09-25-14 02:46 PM
    09-25-14 04:04 PM
    Off topic...I just want to point out how little attention has been paid to the ability of using your Android tablet to send an APK from Google Play to your BB10 device. Yes you lose some Google functions but so far I have not any problems. The Google Play store has an app for that.
    i think thats something to keep quiet about in all honesty lest it gets fixed
    09-25-14 04:44 PM
    "And they fail to mention that the letterboxed video will be comparable in size to what you see on a Z10 or iPhone 5--between the two, in fact."

Wow. I had NO idea. Would love to see someone make that comparison.
    The way to do it would be to play a video on the Passport, then play the same video on the iPhone 5 in landscape mode and hold it up next to the Passport. It would become apparent that the size of the two is almost identical. Or use a Z10 in landscape. You could use an iPhone 4s and the Passport image would be noticeably larger, yet nobody has ever claimed that any iPhone "doesn't hold up" for viewing video.
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    09-26-14 07:37 AM
    The way to do it would be to play a video on the Passport, then play the same video on the iPhone 5 in landscape mode and hold it up next to the Passport. It would become apparent that the size of the two is almost identical. Or use a Z10 in landscape. You could use an iPhone 4s and the Passport image would be noticeably larger, yet nobody has ever claimed that any iPhone "doesn't hold up" for viewing video.
    Fantastic observation. I'm gonna do this.... if.... Digital River ever decides to ship my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    09-26-14 07:59 AM
    This has been my issue with most reviews so far - even the pretty positive ones like Yahoo! state something similar and it is so misleading that it pisses me off.

Did anyone else read the WSJ review? It was HORRENDOUS. I can't believe that joke of a reporter put a slice of American cheese on the screen, first of all. Second of all, she mentions the camera once after complaining that Instagram isn't in Amazon (No, but iGran is in BBW) - and her throwaway sentence says the camera isn't good, anyways. Hi, did you even try it?!

Back on topic, this review is pretty impartial and well-balanced (again, except for the misleading paragraph about media/video). One thing, though - the reviewer says that some games don't fit right on the screen but Bla1ze's review mentioned a zoom option that should fix that. Do all these reviewers just jump in and write everything on the first day without even trying to learn how the OS/phone works?

VZW STL 100-4 currently running 10.3.0.1154
    Isn't the zoom option incoming and not actually present yet?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    09-26-14 09:49 AM
    Dan from the verge was complaining about the black bars, not the size of the video. That's his entitled opinion. As for other portions of his review, he's also entitled to the fact that he thinks swipe gestures are unintuitive. He's also entitled to that opinion. It just makes him look either unprofessional or just dumb as hell.

CB10 on the Q10
    09-26-14 10:45 AM
    Dan from the verge was complaining about the black bars, not the size of the video. That's his entitled opinion. As for other portions of his review, he's also entitled to the fact that he thinks swipe gestures are unintuitive. He's also entitled to that opinion. It just makes him look either unprofessional or just dumb as hell.
    CB10 on the Q10
    He's not the only one that doesn't like BB10's gestures....

The problem isn't so much the need for different gestures, it's that they do different things depending on where you are in the OS or what apps you are using. There was a "Group" (one that specialized in ergonomic design) that did some testing of the navigation of the top four Mobile OSs... way back when BB10 was release. And this 3rd party group found that BB10 was lacking due to it's inconsistency. Of course part of the problem is Native Apps vs Ported or full Android Apps. But they found other issue.

Now you add this part physical and part virtual keyboard to the mix and that seems to have confused some even more. Now with time and practice I think most people will find it a powerful and easy to use UI. But that isn't the same as it being intuitive.

I had a PlayBook and it still took me a while....
    09-26-14 11:02 AM
    I've heard and read then same from other phone reviews of the like. But the issue isn't he's not entitled to his opinion, is his lack if professionalism in that review.

CB10 on the Q10
    09-26-14 12:24 PM
    Dan from the verge was complaining about the black bars, not the size of the video. That's his entitled opinion.
    Nobody's arguing about his entitlement to his opinion. But the fact that he's entitled to it doesn't make it worth anything. And in the case of the specific review in this thread, which I quoted, he's not merely complaining about the black bars. He's making the more general claim that

Media in general doesn't really hold up on the 1:1 screen.
    Entitled as he may be to say it, he has a responsibility to support it. Does he do so?

Movies are well reproduced on the 1440 x 1400 screen, chiefly because of the massive 453 pixel density.
    "well reproduced" on a device that "doesn't hold up" for this purpose. The pixel density is certainly part of it, but the other part, which he leaves out, is that the size of the video is also comparable to other popular video-viewing devices, such as the iPhone 5. By skipping that and going directly to,

But there's no getting away from the letterbox lines that appear on the top and bottom of the screen.
    ...he fails to support the claim that "Media in general really doesn't hold up." All he has shown is that he doesn't like the black bars. That's just bad tech journalism. If you're going to make an editorial claim, as he does, then he should back it up.
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    09-26-14 01:41 PM
    You're arguing for argument's sake. His review was terribly unprofessional and didn't hold up his responsibilities. That has nothing to do with him not entitled to his opinion of it compared to what were you were discussing, two different matter.
    09-27-14 03:45 AM
    Day 3 with my passport.
    Day 1: i felt awkward using the device as was accustomed to my Z30.
    Day 2. Became more familiar with the device and typing on the key board became very easy.
    Day 3. I found no need to carry the powerbank any more. Carrying power bank was like carrying two devices in the pocket. Battery life 30 percent more than Z30. Can open attachments such as word files, Excel, pdf file easily. No need to view on laptop.
    BlackBerry delivered what it has promised ' See the bigger picture '. Passport is hear to stay. Device is safe in my pocket and there is no fear of getting the device BEND.

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo and Smokeaire like this.
    09-27-14 06:35 AM
    Isn't the zoom option incoming and not actually present yet?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Based on Bla1ze's review, it was my understanding that it was already implemented but maybe someone who's already received their Passport could confirm?

VZW STL 100-4 currently running 10.3.0.1154
    09-27-14 11:00 AM
    Has anyone gotten completely used to typing on the Passport try to type on another mobile device? I guess right now is too early to ask, I'll bring it up a month or two down the road to see how it goes...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-27-14 01:49 PM
39 12