I hoping someone could tell me if microsoft active sync email works on blackberrys without having bes?
    Im currently using an iphone with my work email and I know I can use an android device also. I know what needs to be done to get work email on those phones (enter email, password, server address) but I'd like to know if I can do that with a blackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 12:03 PM
    There is no activesync support on BB. You are SOL like the rest of us. It sucks
    08-06-11 12:05 PM
    Weak! Thanks

08-06-11 12:25 PM
    you can still get some access to your INBOX as its pushed to your device but you wont have calendar/contact sync nor will you have access to folders
    08-06-11 12:34 PM
    Not true, use Astrasync
    www.astrasync.com
    08-06-11 12:35 PM
    lmao $49 a year to do something that is FREE on other platforms. yeah right
    08-06-11 12:39 PM
    you can still get some access to your INBOX as its pushed to your device but you wont have calendar/contact sync nor will you have access to folders
    How is that done?

08-06-11 12:52 PM
    A regular BIS account can access an exchange account. The exchange service has to have Outlook Web Access turned on as that is what the BIS tie-in uses. Just add an email account, tell it it's an exchange account, and plug in the address of the account. It will be similar to the web access address you would use for browser access and usually an https (secure) address.

But, as already mentioned, you only get the main in box emails. No calendar or contact syncing over the air.

I do have my phone set up this way to get my work emails. But I have to sync everything else through the Desktop Manager connected to the usb port. It works okay. But I do wish the BB had ActiveSync. My office dumped the expensive BES several years ago once the iPhone offered ActiveSync natively and all tee bosses switched to the iPhone.

08-06-11 03:29 PM
    There is no activesync support on BB. You are SOL like the rest of us. It sucks
    I agree! You have to use BES which with T-Mobile required me to spend $5 more a month. Active Sync which includes, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone requires no extra fee and is a breeze!
    08-06-11 04:36 PM
    I agree! You have to use BES which with T-Mobile required me to spend $5 more a month. Active Sync which includes, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone requires no extra fee and is a breeze!
    More than just BES on the users phone, the company has to have the even more expensive BES Server tied into their exchange server. That is where RIM is shooting themselves in the foot with small businesses. Once the iPhone came out, it made the expense of BES server something worth dumping. Sure, RIM came out with BES Express for free, but the damage was done.

I tried suggesting BES Express (this let's regular BIS phone get full OTA syncing) for my office for the three of us out of the 25 that still use BB's, but they just won't even consider it. They are that turned off to BES because of the past cost. I'm sure ours isn't the only small business that feels that way.

08-06-11 11:59 PM
    More than just BES on the users phone, the company has to have the even more expensive BES Server tied into their exchange server. That is where RIM is shooting themselves in the foot with small businesses. Once the iPhone came out, it made the expense of BES server something worth dumping. Sure, RIM came out with BES Express for free, but the damage was done.

I tried suggesting BES Express (this let's regular BIS phone get full OTA syncing) for my office for the three of us out of the 25 that still use BB's, but they just won't even consider it. They are that turned off to BES because of the past cost. I'm sure ours isn't the only small business that feels that way.

you are certainly not the only ones. Many people have shared the exact same experience. BES is needed for best security but there are still plenty of safeguards in place with activesync services also. Its a new world where BB is not the only option anymore
    08-07-11 09:49 AM
    A regular BIS account can access an exchange account. The exchange service has to have Outlook Web Access turned on as that is what the BIS tie-in uses. Just add an email account, tell it it's an exchange account, and plug in the address of the account. It will be similar to the web access address you would use for browser access and usually an https (secure) address.

But, as already mentioned, you only get the main in box emails. No calendar or contact syncing over the air.

I do have my phone set up this way to get my work emails. But I have to sync everything else through the Desktop Manager connected to the usb port. It works okay. But I do wish the BB had ActiveSync. My office dumped the expensive BES several years ago once the iPhone offered ActiveSync natively and all tee bosses switched to the iPhone.

As long as I can recieve and reply to emails without having to pay the extra cash a month for bes I'd be happy. I just need to be able to view and reply to emails throughout the day
    08-08-11 06:16 AM
    Well RIM also offers unmatched security, control via IT policies which no other platform currently does. With the BES Express, you get basically the same security and reliability. I have worked in a huge corporate environment where we integrated Androids and had so much of a mess that today that corporate house has Stopped support for androids for corporate communication. Iphone does work fine, but then again active sync can come up with issues at the blink of a hat and then changing the password deleting and reconfiguring the whole account and the works.... I'd say Blackberry turns out to be a better bet.
    08-08-11 06:40 AM
    I fail to see why people will want their corporate exchange email on their personal devices? Sounds to me like the employers want to have their cake and eat it.
    They should provide a devices for work.

08-08-11 07:18 AM
    I fail to see why people will want their corporate exchange email on their personal devices? Sounds to me like the employers want to have their cake and eat it.
    They should provide a devices for work.

Its very very convenient for me, helps me stay on top of everything going on in my office and can respond to any issues.

My employer may not provide me with a device but they pay for my data plan and part of my voice and text.
    08-08-11 07:50 AM
    Somebody said you have to have BES on your BlackBerry and on your servers. This is wrong BES is a server, then that is used to push email, contacts, and calendar to a BES activated handset.

BES Express is a no cost solution for small business. It can run on an old wokstation. It takes about an hour to install and configure. It is a most elegant and secure solution for small businesses.

Active Synch is cute and works nicely but is pretty well insecure versus BES. I would recomend BESX over Active Synch every time asked. No there is no AS built in to BlackBerry OS.

08-08-11 07:52 AM
    Somebody said you have to have BES on your BlackBerry and on your servers. This is wrong BES is a server, then that is used to push email, contacts, and calendar to a BES activated handset.

BES Express is a no cost solution for small business. It can run on an old wokstation. It takes about an hour to install and configure. It is a most elegant and secure solution for small businesses.

Active Synch is cute and works nicely but is pretty well insecure versus BES. I would recomend BESX over Active Synch every time asked. No there is no AS built in to BlackBerry OS.

Um, don't confuse BES with BIS. BIS is a server out there that RIM controls and that all personal BIS data plans run through. BES (and BES Express) is installed on the same server running the exchange email server that you want access to. Its requirements state one of the Windows Server OSs and the MS Exchange system. Otherwise, how can it hook into it to provide 24/7 secure push service from a specific email system to the phone? This was a big monthly expense for the smaller business that ran the full BES on their servers. On top of that, the device had to have a specific BES data plan to access that specific BES server. That, as the OP said, is an additional cost to the data plan on the phone. (in the US, BIS does not add cost to the data plan, but in other countries outside North America, it does).

Yes, we know the BES Express came out that gives businesses a no-cost solution... now. And that it allows regular BIS data plans full ota syncing of emails, calendar, and contacts. But, it's too late as most of the small businesses that dropped BES just never again want the hassle that they perceive it to be (even if it's free, it still has to be installed and maintained by IT on top of the Exchange server) - and we all know that perception is hard to overcome.

Last edited by joeldf; 08-08-11 at 09:39 AM.
    08-08-11 09:35 AM
    I am not confusing BES and BIS. BES requires a Windows Server environment, however BES and the old BlackBerry Pro can run on a Windows workstation environment. BES up until recently could NOT run on the Exchange server, it had to be separate. They do require a link to your Exchange environment. Many small businesses have those (Exchange Server) in house.

Why would you say there was a big monthly expense for BES? If you ran your own Exchange and BES, you had to purchase it once and then it was yours, just a small $15.00 per month per user for the carriers to "allow" BES traffic. BESX mitigates that now as it works with a regular BIS BB service from your carrier.

BESX has been out a while, and BlackBerry Pro has been around for years, and it was also a no-cost solution. You are trying to make hay out of nothing.

It may be too late for you and it may be too much of a hassle for you, but I am sure there are plenty of computer literate people can can read some instructions and do the install with little pain. RIM's tutorial videos for the installs are extremely good and if you play that while doing your install, you can literally walk through the install step by step, simple. If they can run an Exchange server they can run BESX. And the cost savings of sticking with the BBs they already have, it is a pretty nice secure solution.
    08-09-11 03:46 PM
    I am not confusing BES and BIS. BES requires a Windows Server environment, however BES and the old BlackBerry Pro can run on a Windows workstation environment. BES up until recently could NOT run on the Exchange server, it had to be separate. They do require a link to your Exchange environment. Many small businesses have those (Exchange Server) in house.

Why would you say there was a big monthly expense for BES? If you ran your own Exchange and BES, you had to purchase it once and then it was yours, just a small $15.00 per month per user for the carriers to "allow" BES traffic. BESX mitigates that now as it works with a regular BIS BB service from your carrier.

BESX has been out a while, and BlackBerry Pro has been around for years, and it was also a no-cost solution. You are trying to make hay out of nothing.

It may be too late for you and it may be too much of a hassle for you, but I am sure there are plenty of computer literate people can can read some instructions and do the install with little pain. RIM's tutorial videos for the installs are extremely good and if you play that while doing your install, you can literally walk through the install step by step, simple. If they can run an Exchange server they can run BESX. And the cost savings of sticking with the BBs they already have, it is a pretty nice secure solution.
    It's not me. I have no say the matter. It's my bosses, the partners in the firm I work at who said it was too much of a hassle and too much cost (they are the ones that pay the bills so something must have bothered them about the cost). We ran BES from about 2004 until 2008, or about the time that the iPhone picked up native ActiveSync. I fully agree that it's worth whatever the expense for the security. We even have a full time IT company keeping the servers going - we have several servers in-house including our own mail server, and one off-site web server. But my suggestion for BES Express for the few of us that choose to stick with BB simply fell on deaf ears.

Regardless of how easy it may be, it's that perception among the smaller businesses that is hurting RIM even if it's not accurate. That's what I was talking about. And that is the hay that is becoming a big deal to RIM's bottom line.

08-10-11 12:25 AM
    Enjoy getting hacked with your iphone.

iPhone hacking, are you at risk? New study reveals the most popular passwords | Mail Online

Researchers Find Hacking Any iPhone And Stealing All Passwords Takes Just Six Minutes | Cult of Mac

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...eqx71w&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...nk_V6g&cad=rja
    08-10-11 06:13 AM

You do need a BES compatible data plan for you BB.
    08-10-11 06:58 AM
    You do need a BES compatible data plan for you BB.
    Not with BESX.

08-10-11 07:05 AM
    Best solution which would not involve so much technicalities would be to outsource Hosted BES services from companies like appriver and stuff. They do it quite inexpensively. But i would agree with who ever said BES is the best, BESX or BIS comes second and the worst is active sync.
    08-10-11 07:08 AM
    08-10-11 08:48 AM

I'm with pineypl -- you don't need a lot of server power to run a BESX, (mine is a 2.3 GHz Sempron, with 2Gig, for cryin' out loud, and I put the whole thing together for under $500) and once it is up it just keeps on running. The problem is that a lot of managers like the "bright new shiny things" and RIM had been falling down in that respect lately
    08-10-11 08:49 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD