I have posted this before, but please MOD do not delete this one! I have created mockups of my ideas and don't want them to get lost in a super old thread!

One thing I was just working on here was a design for the new OS. Would enhance the home screen and take away active frames as we know it, and turn them into interactive frames...

I JUST downloaded this program in order to create these mockups, so PLEASE do not insult or make fun of any mistakes or things that don't look right...this is more to give the idea of what I am thinking BlackBerry should modify the Active Frames to!
    The fact that is has 3 bars horizontal. Each having a different function. These could be the new "Interactive" Frames for 10.3.

Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame.jpg

Instead of the app name on the side like in mock it, it would be at the bottom of the bar, maybe separated like it is now in the current active frames (separated for a reason as I will explain). The home screen will show 3 on a screen at a time with the 4th slightly showing through the bottom (very faint look to the 4th). This 4th one will be BEHIND the current navigation pane for quick jumping between app pages, and hub and home screen.

Now the frames will be larger than what we have now, so more information can be displayed. I picture more cycling between information on apps, and not as static of an experience. Lets say for example you have your Music app open. The app will display the album cover in the frame, again faintly in the background with the song title upfront, artist...and possibly other pieces of information. Now to become interactive, users will simply press and hold...picture the gestures from the photo app (you take a photo, drag the thumbnail of the photo up and into a share/delete function and done!) so this will be similar, you will press and hold and very quickly options will pop up...Music options could include, Play/Pause, Next/Back, Shuffle, Repeat. They will function the same as the photo example I mentioned. You press and hold and move up to next, and the song will switch. See mockup below

Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-2.jpg Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-3.jpg

Same features go for all applications...pictures can allow you to change the cycle time so it will be a slideshow of pictures and you control if pictures change every minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, never, etc.

I could go on and on with each apps functions but I won't.
    Now the app when you swipe up won't instantly change to the next page like it currently does...i find thats not as interactive. So it will move with your finger, you move it slightly and it will only move a bit as well...

Now for closing the frames, lets take out the "X" as that is not modern design! So we will take that out and make it a swipe to the left. This will throw it off the screen and poof gone! and an undo button will pop up briefly...if you touch anywhere else the undo button will immediately go away so as to not interfere with the user. (after 2 uses the user will know how this works!) and then on an app, a swipe to the right will pin the app to the spot it is current in! See mockups below

Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-4.jpg Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-5.jpg

You can rearrange these apps by when you press and hold the app "Title", for example...MUSIC...and dragging it around to where you want it...think of BlackBerry Express how you can drag around the tiles. See mockups below

Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-6.jpg Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-7.jpg

Now the final awesome feature is pinch to enlarge!

Lets stick with music app...we are using it and we want more functionality, basically a full app...now what you can do is to resize the app is just Pinch to Zoom (fingers together and then separate). This will basically just blow up the app you do this gesture on...it will show you where it will resize too...if you move slightly it will show a shaded outline that it will double in size (same size as 2 active frames - basically being 2/3 of screen)...if you go all the way, it will open the frame within the entire home screen. See mockups below of gesture, 2/3 screen and full screen active frames!

Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-8.jpg Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-9.jpg

Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-10.jpg Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-11.jpg

The beauty of this is that you can still scroll the home screen because all this is is an enlarged frame! See below for mockup of how apps still show up under the full screen active frame

Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-copy-12.jpg

Another thing I would like to say is that for messaging, lets say you have BBM open and you receive a message. The message you receive will show up on the frame, and due to the size and it being the width of the screen, it will show the entire message, unless it is extremely long! Now you can press and hold like before and these messaging apps will give you the option to reply from frame! Just press hold, move to reply...then just start replying and send!

To give a design cue for the pop up when you press and hold...I will use Pinterest app as an example...when you press and hold a pin you like, it will pop up with options to interact with the pin, that is how these options would pop up in the active frames.

Anyways this is an idea I had and would be flat and minimalistic yet still can follow many many BB10 design cues. Again I would like to state this is my first time EVER using a photoshop type program, and I am actually just using it on a trial which shows how new I am with this stuff...I hope the mockups look nice enough for the critics here in CrackBerry (I am on of those critics...and I think for a first time I did a decent job here!)

Anyways let me know what you all think, this is a long post but a LOT of time went into developing the mockups and the idea as a whole, so please be gentle with me if you don't like it!

2 things to add...1) It OBVIOUSLY would allow for landscape view! all same principles apply in landscape mode, but it will only show TWO frames instead of 3. 2) The black colour was the default of choice to make it easier for the mockups...the colours will definitely be dependant upon the users background! and each app will have different colour schemes...like FaceBook would be blue...Vine --> green, etc. To keep it flat, there will never be gradients.
    Last edited by mphillips828; 03-20-14 at 10:49 PM.
    03-20-14 10:36 PM
    Sorry everyone for the long post I swear its worth the read!!!
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    03-20-14 10:37 PM
    Not bad at all.. u clearly put some thought behind it. I for one wouldn't mind.. would have to see how my hands adjust to the new gestures cause I don't mind them as they are but this would be a suitable change/tweak

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 likes this.
    03-20-14 11:12 PM
    I actually like it... a lot.. but... would the gestures you've outlaid not take a back seat to functionality? I'd say, if it were me (and it's not) make the "frames" long press customizable so that it's not hard to pin point swipes.
    mphillips828 likes this.
    03-20-14 11:33 PM
    I actually like it... a lot.. but... would the gestures you've outlaid not take a back seat to functionality? I'd say, if it were me (and it's not) make the "frames" long press customizable so that it's not hard to pin point swipes.
    I completely thought about that and ways to make that work with the current long press that I proposed in the frames here...and I think having a long press to activate interactive features, as well as customization settings, or closing/pinning frames would be confusing...

One way I could see this working is if you long press and on the actual frame information pops up the interactive features...lets use music for example...it pops up the play/back/next/shuffle/repeat settings to quickly access those...and on the NAME (MUSIC) bar pops up the customization settings...so "pin", "close"...

My thing with this is that I really like the simplicity of swiping the app off the screen...so I figured go opposites...one way closes completely, the other pins it to spot...once it is pinned you can always drag the app to your desired area in the frames list...

Actually I was JUST thinking about this as well...maybe we reactive the swiping functions it current has from the active frames screen (swipe right pulls screen away to show HUB, swipe left goes into the app launcher)...so NOW when you are in the frames list, that is your main screen and main focus! it will have more function and customization so you won't need to jump to the apps launcher nearly as much, nor the HUB...But to access these we use the simple UP/RIGHT gesture to get to the HUB like we currently do, and UP/LEFT to get to apps launcher...this will be confusing for us long term users of BB10, but it will actually streamline the process of accessing these areas...basically now ANYTIME AT ALL you want into the HUB you swipe up and right...and ANYTIME at all you want he apps screen you always swipe up and left...simple, always the same motions! Now on the active frames screen, you will not have any possibility of jumps around to HUB and Apps by swiping the active frame...making the swipe to close and pin make more sense and feel more natural...

The concept here really is that INTERACTIVE FRAMES is one of the key points to the 10.3 UI for BlackBerry...to highlight this we basically make it its own special area...you are there and you customize it with the apps you want and where you want them...the hub and app launcher is always there...simple motion to open either of them...you also have the bottom quick jump section if you want to jump around to app pages/hub, etc.
    03-20-14 11:46 PM
    I completely appreciate what you are saying and the interactiveness is really cool. I just think that the Q models will have issues with swipe as the default due to the screen size.... and frankly, I'd have issue with it on my Z10.

My preference, long press to engage interactive... but no side to side swipes. That has to be saved for going back to hub or apps list. With the long press, you can reposition the active frame or resize. To make it pure swipe, it means being to accurate and too many opportunities to miss-swipe.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    03-21-14 12:03 AM
    I completely appreciate what you are saying and the interactiveness is really cool. I just think that the Q models will have issues with swipe as the default due to the screen size.... and frankly, I'd have issue with it on my Z10.

My preference, long press to engage interactive... but no side to side swipes. That has to be saved for going back to hub or apps list. With the long press, you can reposition the active frame or resize. To make it pure swipe, it means being to accurate and too many opportunities to miss-swipe.
    That is really true, especially with the Q10 it could be more of an issue for sure...and yes definitely more chances to miss-swipe...definitely agree with all of that...i was just trying to go the most gesture based, and more i guess "FUN" way...its not the same clicking a button, but definitely would be just as powerful...

Have the long press on the app title to bring up customization options like you said...and if you long press inside of the frame anywhere it will bring up the options to interact with the frame!
    03-21-14 12:13 AM
    Active Frames 10.3 Update! - Concept-active-frame-14.jpg

Here is a little re-design to implement your ideas...basically this shows in the music app that you can touch and hold to open the functions "pause, back, next, shuffle, repeat"

And in the pictures app when you touch and hold on the app name bar...it will pop up the icons seen in the picture...the "garbage" is to close the app, "star" is to pin/favourite the app to the screen, the "resizing" option is to the left of the word and once clicked all other options will disappear and you can then drag the screen to your desired size choice!, and finally the rearrange button, the lines on the right...you go to that one and it allows you to move the icon around on the screen.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-21-14 12:58 AM
    You should not just post is here. Post it in make future device ideas by BlackBerry.. post it in beta zone email them it should be the part of 10.3... thumbs up for creative ideas.... please ask people and post it everywhere so that they should consider it... please

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 12:59 AM
    I think Kevin should make it the no. 1 priority in 25 things thread for 10.3... OP go ahead and post it everywhere you can

Posted via CB10
    HUNTZODIAC and mphillips828 like this.
    03-21-14 01:04 AM
    Wow that is bad a$#!! Hopefully this can get forwarded to BlackBerry and they implement if not all, some!!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 01:16 AM
    You should not just post is here. Post it in make future device ideas by BlackBerry.. post it in beta zone email them it should be the part of 10.3... thumbs up for creative ideas.... please ask people and post it everywhere so that they should consider it... please

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the enthusiasm! Love hearing this feedback! If more people feel the same I will absolutely push this idea to anyone who can make a difference!
    03-21-14 01:17 AM
    I...LOVE...THIS...!!!
    03-21-14 01:37 AM
    Wooooooooooow!!! Duuuuuude that's f***n awesome!!!

I like how u've put every little swipe to thought and good use! And the whole dark like theme makes it look so professional! Keep up the good work, and yes... please make sure the "top dawgs" of BlackBerry sees this!

NiiiiiiiiiiIiice

Posted on a sexy QTEN
    03-21-14 02:47 AM
    Wooooooooooow!!! Duuuuuude that's f***n awesome!!!

I like how u've put every little swipe to thought and good use! And the whole dark like theme makes it look so professional! Keep up the good work, and yes... please make sure the "top dawgs" of BlackBerry sees this!

NiiiiiiiiiiIiice

Posted on a sexy QTEN
    Thanks a lot! I really did think through a lot of it and am definitely open to feedback as seen a bit above in this thread! Choice is key, and it is fairly easy to give this choice with this concept! I hope we can spread the excitement about this concept!
    03-21-14 10:17 AM
    I think that it's unreal. It would be an awesome update! I might have to tell my friend at BlackBerry about this one

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 10:24 AM
    I think that it's unreal. It would be an awesome update! I might have to tell my friend at BlackBerry about this one

Posted via CB10
    That would be amazing! Spread the word! Lets get this to BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 10:38 AM
    I really like this concept. I think I would enjoy using it. I do have one critique though.

When opening up an 'interactive frame' I'm not sure the pinch to zoom is the most productive. I feel like it would negate the one-handed use of BB10 (one feature I truly love about the OS). Maybe a double tap on the frame would work.

Otherwise I think you may have something here.
    03-21-14 10:39 AM
    Very nice

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:48 AM
    I really like this concept. I think I would enjoy using it. I do have one critique though.

When opening up an 'interactive frame' I'm not sure the pinch to zoom is the most productive. I feel like it would negate the one-handed use of BB10 (one feature I truly love about the OS). Maybe a double tap on the frame would work.

Otherwise I think you may have something here.
    Could work but double tap would that open it to the 2/3 size or full screen? Tapping would work if there were only the two options. 1) regular size 2) doubled size. And then you could double tap to open larger. And double tap to close back down. But there are three options. The other option I provided was to change the gestures to tap and hold options. This can be changed in settings so people who want to use the one hand like you will only have to long press the app name "music" and then it will pop up options to close, pin, resize, rearrange. Then you can resize it by dragging to either 2/3 or full screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:54 AM
    Looks cool!! And will look good only on BlackBerry 10 devices...lol

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:59 AM
    Looks cool!! And will look good only on BlackBerry 10 devices...lol

Posted via CB10
    Oh ya! Only BlackBerry can properly make the OS look sophisticated and mature yet a powerhouse of functions and features!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 12:00 PM
    i like it but I have a Q10 and this would not agree with my Q10 screen size haha

Maybe if they opened up the "Themes API" like in BBOS and you made a theme like this only for Z models
    03-21-14 05:38 PM
    I don't like the fact that active frames are above each other and the swiping to pin and all that, it just becomes a mess.

Sorry I don't like your design, too complicated, I do however love the idea of interactive active frames and pinned active frames.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 06:10 PM
    I like it.
    One thing I would like added to this is:
    Pull the screen up and below it is the PlayBook / ios7 style app monitor.

I never use apps 5-8 anyways. I don't actually use any active frames, apart from closing them

The op's idea combined with the task manager below is something I would actually use.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 06:30 PM
46 12