My brother has a BIS account but is about to switch to an Iphone. I currently have a $10 data plan from AT&T for a non-smartphone. Before he switches to the Iphone can I have him activate a BIS account on a new, unlocked blackberry with his SIM card and then I would just use it with my SIM card for $10 a month? I know BB services won' work without a BB data plan so I am wondering if this would cheat the system. I know I should just pay the extra money but if I don't have to I'd rather not.
    Thanks!
    10-31-11 10:03 PM
    Nah, not gonna work out. AT&T will catch that and bill you for service. Know two people that tried it, and were rather tweaked when they got the bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    keshablow likes this.
    10-31-11 10:17 PM
    It's only $5 more for the BB plan. Once you put your sim in and turn it on, AT&T will automatically add the $25 BB data plan

10-31-11 10:25 PM
    I agree with the others here. Trying to save a measly 5 bucks (cheapest smartphone data plan is only $15) is not worth it when you get your next bill and find the $25 plan is automatically tacked on. Because that's what they'll do.

The phone you're using is detected independently from the SIM card once it logs onto the mobile network. It will see a "real" smartphone and tack on the most expensive data plan for it if an appropriate plan isn't already provisioned for it.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-31-11 11:59 PM
    I agree with the others here. Trying to save a measly 5 bucks (cheapest smartphone data plan is only $15) is not worth it when you get your next bill and find the $25 plan is automatically tacked on. Because that's what they'll do.

The phone you're using is detected independently from the SIM card once it logs onto the mobile network. It will see a "real" smartphone and tack on the most expensive data plan for it if an appropriate plan isn't already provisioned for it.

You are correct. Per AT&T's Wireless Customer Agreement:
    An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.
    11-01-11 01:40 AM
    Another option is to phone them up and tell them exactly what you want to do. They just might agree with you and allow you the data plan for $10, especially if you add you're considering switching carriers.

At least it's worth a try....
    11-01-11 08:16 AM
    I just put my SIM in my old Pearl 8110 the $10 plan was still there and I could access the browser however BBM and Email didn't work. Unfortunately you guys were right
    11-01-11 08:33 PM
    if I recall, AT&T would do what is called "IMEI sweeps". That is, they would run through their mobile system looking for the IMEI numbers that determine what kind of phone you have. That's when they catch you with smartphone if your plan is for a "feature phone".

My fault for suggesting it was instant. It's not. But eventually you'll get caught during one of those sweeps. They apparently do them pretty regularly.

11-02-11 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD