I left my blackberry in a pair of tracksuit bottoms and then proceeded to wash said tracksuit bottoms in a washing machine. After about 5 minutes I went to check if I had any messages and realised what I had done.

After hurtling downstairs and ripping the washing machine door off it's hinges I discovered my blackberry had lost the ability to switch on and there was soapy water visible behind the screen.

I removed the battery and nuked the blackberry with my hair-dryer until I thought it was acceptably dry, or at least until my patience had been exhausted. Then I put the battery back in and tried to switch the phone on to no avail. I've since read that putting the battery back in before it's fully dry can lead to short circuiting, but I figure that as it already wasn't turning on, a short circuit had possibly already occured.

I'm currently drying it on a radiator (as my hair-dryer has overheated) and waiting for all traces of water and dampness to disappear before I try the battery again. My question is, whether anyone has experienced this problem themselves and can offer any advice?

I realise that my best bet is to just let it dry and pray but I don't hold out much hope. I don't have insurance for the phone but I'm pretty sure that even if i did, water damage isn't applicable. I can't afford to buy a new blackberry but I'm paying for the services on my contract so it would be a waste to just put my SIM in my old phone. I was considering using a repair service and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any and could make any recommendations?

bahhhhhh x
    03-03-10 11:34 AM
    As soon as it gets wet do not try to use it or turn it on. Take the battery out and let everything dry for two to three days before trying to turn back on. If you search the forum theres also a trick using rice to absorb the moisture...goodluck
    03-03-10 11:38 AM
    I've often read in the forums that just put the blackberry right down into a bag of rice and leave it there for a couple of days. The rice will absorb all the moisture.
    03-03-10 11:42 AM
    You should've waited at least a day before considering putting the battery back in and now the chances of it working are less. Just try the rice trick and if it doesnt work then I hope you have insurance.
    03-03-10 12:33 PM
    T-Mo insurance dose cover water damage i would make sure you get it for your next phone or add it asap.......
    03-03-10 01:16 PM
    T-Mo insurance dose cover water damage i would make sure you get it for your next phone or add it asap.......

That's why you tell them you lost it
    03-03-10 01:22 PM
    Ouch! That's terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you. I would try the rice drying method. Keep it in dry rice for a couple days and hope it works after. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 01:26 PM
    I would be in tears if I was you.
    I heard people use the rice trick like other stated, try that...
    03-03-10 01:44 PM
    ah man hate when that happens. definitely try the rice technique... worked for my ibm thinkpad... left it in rice for a few days.. and it worked again.

hopefully your bb didnt short
    03-03-10 01:50 PM
    With T-Mobile, you only have 15 days from the day you purchased your phone to add the insurance onto your plan. If this wasn't in place, people would only add insurance for a day, make a claim, then drop the insurance... doesn't work that way.
    03-03-10 01:57 PM
    With T-Mobile, you only have 15 days from the day you purchased your phone to add the insurance onto your plan. If this wasn't in place, people would only add insurance for a day, make a claim, then drop the insurance... doesn't work that way.
    "next phone"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-03-10 02:08 PM
    Insurance covers absolutely everything.
    03-03-10 02:33 PM
    You just got yourself a clean blackberry lol...you can try the rice method or leave the phone ontop of your fridge for a couple of days...

03-03-10 02:45 PM
    Ouch! I'd start praying right about now fella
    03-03-10 02:52 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ht-way-318876/ That's the best bet!! This post will save your Blackberry if it can be saved at all!! Read everything the OP has posted in this thread!
    03-03-10 02:56 PM
    You guys are giving the OP a ton of false hope.

Considering the phone was in the wash for FIVE minutes and then the OP proceeded
    to blast it with a blow dryer long enough and set hot enough for it to overheat, it is
    safe to say that the minerals from the water and whatever detergent still present
    was cooked onto the circuitry. The phone is dead.
    03-03-10 02:56 PM
    Ouch! That's terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you. I would try the rice drying method. Keep it in dry rice for a couple days and hope it works after. Good luck.

I would try the rice as a dessicant (sp) . Hopefully, your BB is OK.

Best of luck.

Charles
    03-03-10 03:36 PM
    Your phone is pwnt, suck it up and get a new one. That sux and I can't believe people even do this but whatever, sorry for your loss.
    03-03-10 04:24 PM
    Most likely it is dead, but it never hurts to try saving it. I've seen phones go completely through the wash and come out working after being dried properly. Chances are slim, but better to try and know than to shrug and assume, right? It's not like letting it dry and trying it in a few days costs you anything....
    03-03-10 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD