I have never used GSM phones. A friend gave me his Curve 8310 to use with Gophone service when in a non-CDMA area. I understand I will not be able to use data; only want phone and text service. I put a nonactivated SIM card in, taking his out. When I turn the phone on, his name appears at the top. I'm assuming I have to wipe his phone. I'm also assuming I don't have to unlock it since I'm planning on using ATT, which is what he used. Are these assumptions correct, and if so, how do I totally wipe his phone so I can activate it as a gophone?
    BTW...I hate being a newbie. Sorry for the lame questions.
    12-02-09 03:43 PM
    Yea, I would wipe his phone, preferably with charmin lol

Secondly, if he used it on AT&T it should be compatible with AT&T.

If it's GSM, then if you really want you can unlock it to use on Tmobile.

To wipe, be sure to use atleast 2ply then Go to settings>security>menu>wipe handheld> type "blackberry" then enter
    12-02-09 03:47 PM
    Thanks. I want to keep it on ATT. When I go to Security Options one is "memory cleaning". I don't see Wipe Handheld either in the top menu or in the Memory cleaning menu.....do I need to put his old SIM card back in? I have a blank one (nonactivated).
    12-02-09 03:57 PM
    Go into the security screen, and hit menu- if the option to "wipe handheld device doesn't come up" then go back and select memory cleaning, and then try the menu button.

It should be in there somewhere-

And no, having the SIM card in won't make a difference.
    12-02-09 03:59 PM
    Sorry...cannot find that option. I did ask it to "clean now" but there are still old emails and calendar items.Maybe I'm in the wrong place to start with, but I go to the wrench that is labled Options. I get a menu, one option of which includes "Security Options". There is another menu that includes General Settings, Certificate Servers, Firewall...and one that says Memory Cleaning. There are Registered Cleaners, and the submenu on that screen has "Clean Now" but no "wipe the handheld"....and "clean now" does not get rid of the items on the device. Sorry....I know it's somewhere too but I'm stumped.
    12-02-09 04:59 PM
    Ah. Found it. It was under General Settings. Thanks...
    12-02-09 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD