What happens when going abroad? I want to have my data services constantly OFF to avoid getting charged for every
    spam / newsletter i receive and since i will be often around WiFi networks to be able to receive data only when there. How is that possible? While having data services off, and I enable WiFi and get connected, will it download all mails OK or will it need to enable DATA Services firstly on? And how can we be 100% sure that all data will go through WiFi and not my carrier?

P.S. Talking about Europe always
    10-19-09 01:01 AM
    I am currently exactly what you are asking. I am in Mexico and on my Hotel's wifi network. Turn off your mobile network and turn on wifi connection. You will also need to go into options>advanced options>browser. And change it to hotspot browder instead of internet. The you should see yourself connect (the wifi symbol turns white). Then surf, etc... You will not be able to phone or text, but you will be able to pin message, email, facebook, twitter, surf...
    HTH,
    Brian

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 02:14 AM
    Well ok, thats was my obvious solution as well. BUT, if you have your DATA services off, and go and connect to WiFi, HOW will your phone logon to BIS and actually download data, PIN, etc?

As far as i know it needs first to connec to BIS, then turn off network then switch on WiFi.. But if that happens, and while i'm abroad i turn on DATA i will immediatelly receive all my emails and get charged. Thats what i want to avoid!
    10-19-09 02:28 AM
    Well ok, thats was my obvious solution as well. BUT, if you have your DATA services off, and go and connect to WiFi, HOW will your phone logon to BIS and actually download data, PIN, etc?

As far as i know it needs first to connec to BIS, then turn off network then switch on WiFi.. But if that happens, and while i'm abroad i turn on DATA i will immediatelly receive all my emails and get charged. Thats what i want to avoid!
    wtf XD? You can disable network, enable wifi then enable data, or vice versa, and still be able to use bis. As long as the sim card is in, you dont have to enable the network at all to use data over wifi.
    Last edited by gbsn; 10-19-09 at 02:40 AM.
    10-19-09 02:30 AM
    naiz very naiz double post...
    10-19-09 02:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD