Hello everyone,

I'm actually really new here and I've noticed that a lot of knowledgeable individuals visit this site regularly. Seeing as how all blackberries seem to have been used by people here, I have a question about two of them.

I am due for a Sprint upgrade. I have never owned a smart-phone before and was trying to determine whether to get a Pearl 8130 or a Curve 8330.

I like the size of the Pearl, but the keyboard seems like it would take some time to get used to. I also have larger hands, if that means anything. The Curve, on the other hand, is larger, but it appears to be the more stable of the two in terms of OS from what I have read.

As for uses, I would predominantly use it for SMS, emails, possibly some online radio, and MMS. That's all I can think of right now. I apologize if this topic has already been addressed, but I wasn't able to locate one.

Thanks in advance.
    04-19-09 04:27 PM
    I think your best bet is to go in to the store (take a good amount of time 15 to 30 minutes) and play with both phones. Now keep in mind that with the Pearl and it's suretype keyboard it will take some getting used to. Suretype is VERY intuitive thou and good at figuring out what you are typing it just takes some getting used to. Focus more on how the phones feel in your hands and how the buttons feel.
    04-19-09 04:35 PM
    Welcome to CB. My personal opinion when given a choice between an 8130 and an 8330 is that the 8330 is better in the long run. The big reason is that the 8330 has slightly more device memory than the 8130. When you start installing applications believe me that extra bit comes in handy. The 8130 is prone to using up it's memory quickly, and when that happens you start losing messages, email, and call logs.
    Last edited by sunkast; 04-19-09 at 04:42 PM.
    04-19-09 04:39 PM
    I had to make this decision last week and I went with the curve. Love it and so glad I didn't get the pearl

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 04:41 PM
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

I'll probably go in Tuesday to play with the phones. As for the memory, aren't both able to take in those micro SD cards?

One more question: How do the browsers compare? Is the 8130 browser identical to the 8330 browser, except on a smaller screen?

Oh and by the way, I'm thinking that the way the keyboards feel will make or break the phone in my opinion. However, like you previously addressed, pkcable, the Suretype learning curve on the 8130 will be considered.
    04-19-09 04:49 PM
    Ya I'd get the Curve 8330 as well. If I was you I'd get 8330 now and then take good care of it. Then Sell it on ebay or amazon and get one of 2 new Blackberrys comming out in mid summer. Ha Ha I have the Curve myself and with my luck sprint will get the 8900 Curve and The Flip pearl. But I can dream and wish of a storm like phone wit a touch screen

04-19-09 04:58 PM
    As for the memory, aren't both able to take in those micro SD cards?
    Yes. But device memory and external memory are two different systems. The idea of a memory card is for storing things such as documents, music, videos, pictures. Where as device memory is for installing applications. It's not possible to install an application to a memory card. This is why that extra device space is beneficial.

How do the browsers compare? Is the 8130 browser identical to the 8330 browser, except on a smaller screen?
    The browser app is the same on both devices. There are a couple third party browsers (Bold, Opera). You cannot make a third party browser the default.
    04-19-09 05:52 PM
    The difference in device memory is significant. The 8330 has 1.5 times the memory of the 8130. So instead of always worrying about your available memory, you will have about 30 MBs above what you would've had on the Pearl.

04-19-09 06:03 PM
    Curve all the way!
    04-19-09 06:12 PM
    I made the mistake of getting the Pearl first and I hated it. I added a new line onto my account, just so I could get a Curve.

04-19-09 06:22 PM
    Another option is to save your upgrade for the new BBs coming out later this year.

Buy a used Curve or Pearl and you can learn the BB OS while waiting for the new BBs.

04-19-09 06:22 PM
    It seems like the only advantage a Pearl has is its size, which certainly doesn't seem worth it based on more recent research. The only thing is that I know lots of people who love their Pearls as well as their Curves.

As for waiting, xliderider, that's what I originally planned on, but I recently dropped my flip phone multiple times on tile and the screen only works 10 percent of the time. So a new phone is kind of mandatory. And seeing as how I am still in high school without a job, I wouldn't really be able to afford much outside of the upgrade prices. Besides, I'm waiting until I turn 18 so that I can apply for jobs with higher pay during the summer.

Like I previously mentioned, however, I still plan on playing around with them this coming week. After that, I just have to wait a week more.
    04-19-09 07:50 PM
    A used Pearl costs less than $80.

04-19-09 08:02 PM
    my opinion i say the curve all the way .....
    now what kind...... thats simply up to you lollol
    04-19-09 08:07 PM
    For SureType on the pearl big thing is don't watch the type. Just type & maybe ck at the end of the words this is Hard to do especially at first. But once you get use to it. It is unreal to go back to Multi-tap!! Good luck & have fun with deciding on your first BB, no matter which you choose ....welcome to the addiction!!

04-19-09 08:48 PM
    I agree with going with a Curve. I was going to go with the Pearl. I thought I wanted a smaller phone so I could keep it in my pocket easier. I also have small hands, so thought the Pearl would be fine. I have a friend who talked me into a Curve and I'm glad she did!!!

The screen is bigger which is really nice. The Curve isn't that much bigger, so I'm still able to keep it in my pocket at work. (Shhh... don't tell my boss. *grin*) Also, the keys on the Curve are perfect for me. I can text either one handed or two with ease. I LOVE having the letters on seperate keys!!!

I don't know much about the rest of it (stability of the OS, etc) as I've had it less than a week. But I'm completely in love and they only way they're going to take my Curve from me is to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. LOL

Good luck with your choice!
    04-19-09 08:52 PM
    For SureType on the pearl big thing is don't watch the type. Just type & maybe ck at the end of the words this is Hard to do especially at first. But once you get use to it. It is unreal to go back to Multi-tap!! Good luck & have fun with deciding on your first BB, no matter which you choose ....welcome to the addiction!!

I agree 100%! You will be fine with either they both are excellent BBs
    04-19-09 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD