Some good info about SecuTABLET: SecuTABLET: IBM, Secusmart, Samsung, and ? Apperian | Blue Hill Research

Highlights:

SecuTABLET runs the standard and unmodified Android 5 and kernel, and also runs Samsung’s KNOX security software – more specifically, it runs the KNOX Premium technology that is specific to Samsung, and not part of the potentially-larger picture of an enterprise-grade Android version coming from Google’s camp.
    Secusmart and IBM conceived of the idea to build a highly-secure Android-based tablet before BlackBerry actually moved to acquire Secusmart. At the time, the only way to securely utilize Secusmart’s technology on Android required the use of Samsung’s KNOX security platform, which provides highly-secure access to Samsung device boot loaders.
    IBM already had an existing relationship with Apperian (a mobile app management vendor that provides a dynamic mobile app wrapping and policy engine technology), and as the Secusmart-IBM tablet began to evolve from an idea into a potentially real mobile device, IBM approached Apperian and asked the company to begin working on solving the app-level security issue and figuring out how to utilize the Secusmart hardware technology as a tightly-coupled component of the overall solution.
    Apperian provides its core and highly-secure app wrapping and dynamic policy engine, along with its private enterprise app store, of course, which in turn delivers a fully trusted app space for Samsung Android devices (this is an enterprise win in and of itself).[...]Apperian also provides the overall architecture for the solution, which includes the integration with the necessary KNOX security capabilities and the integration of mobile app policies with Secusmart’s SecuCard and IPSec stack. The truth of the matter is that without the Apperian technology “quarterbacking,” there likely would not be a SecuTABLET.
    03-18-15 09:34 AM
    Just what I thought.

The new "Blackberry Tablet" is really a Samsung product with a bunch of software on it from a number of players, one of which is Secusmart. I'll bet this was in the works before the Blackberry purchase.

The only interesting point is what it says about the Apple/IBM partnership........
    03-18-15 10:35 AM
    Just what I thought.

The new "Blackberry Tablet" is really a Samsung product with a bunch of software on it from a number of players, one of which is Secusmart. I'll bet this was in the works before the Blackberry purchase.

The only interesting point is what it says about the Apple/IBM partnership........
    It says it was in the works before the BlackBerry purchase.

Posted via my Z30
    03-18-15 10:44 AM
    Thanks for posting.

BlackBerry hates America!
    03-18-15 11:15 AM
    I read that this thing is going to cost north of $2,000.

That's nuts.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-18-15 11:32 AM

That's nuts.

They will not sell many of them, so development costs will be divided by a far smaller number than a "regular" tablet.
    03-18-15 11:45 AM

That's nuts.

Obviously no consumer will buy this. Unless they are loaded and have money to spend lol.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-18-15 01:03 PM
    Everyone in this partnership are BBRY competitors (except Secusmart) lol
    03-18-15 02:16 PM

That's nuts.
    Maybe not.

It won't be consumers paying for this, but corporations, and it fills a niche.

Separating social from work activities, especially if that work involves classified documents, is a bugbear for many companies. Often the solution is to have two devices, one of which is tied to a closed network. All that infrastructure costs money to install and maintain.

They might consider a one-off cost of $2k for a single device that protects the sensitive data, and allows secure communications, on an otherwise normal tablet to be a bit of a bargain.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-18-15 03:29 PM
    So SecuTABLET has nothing to with the current BlackBerry technology except that BB owns Secusmart. Everything is still Samsung KNOX.
    03-18-15 03:38 PM
    So SecuTABLET has nothing to with the current BlackBerry technology except that BB owns Secusmart. Everything is still Samsung KNOX.
    Correct.

BlackBerry's only connection with this product is that they own SecuSmart.

No BB10, BES, or kittens were harmed in the making of this product.

Though, if you are looking for the silver lining, it's a potentially good acquisition for BB as this device may sell well in the niche market its aimed at.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-18-15 03:49 PM
    Secusmart was certainly a security solution acquisition and this tablet is a by product thereof. However, this item may give them valuable experience and knowledge in the tablet market.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-18-15 04:51 PM
    BlackBerry has some interaction with Knox already. I am not 100% sure but that may circle back around to a small win. I guess it just depends on spin from there.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-18-15 05:15 PM
    Correct.

BlackBerry's only connection with this product is that they own SecuSmart.

No BB10, BES, or kittens were harmed in the making of this product.

Though, if you are looking for the silver lining, it's a potentially good acquisition for BB as this device may sell well in the niche market its aimed at.
    And Knox was secured by BlackBerry software and innovations. This whole thread makes me laugh.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 09:03 PM

That's nuts.

If I remember rightly, that's not too far off from what a Secusmart-equipped BlackBerry Z10 cost. That encryption card is a mighty expensive piece of kit, and will only really be worth it to some specific government and enterprise customers.
    03-18-15 09:15 PM
    If I remember rightly, that's not too far off from what a Secusmart-equipped BlackBerry Z10 cost. That encryption card is a mighty expensive piece of kit, and will only really be worth it to some specific government and enterprise customers.
    Very interesting. Is there any technical information about these cards that is publicly available?
    Anyone?

03-18-15 10:57 PM
    Very interesting. Is there any technical information about these cards that is publicly available?
    Anyone?

There's some info on Secusmart's website: https://www.secusmart.com/en/for-pub...security-card/

It appears, if I'm understanding it correctly, that the microSD-sized card has a crypto-controller and two coprocessors in it that can provide authentication and encryption for voice and data, in addition to some flash storage. Pretty impressive considering the size.

It also appears that you can buy one of your own, if you feel so inclined - for 2975 Euros, that is: https://www.secusmart.com/en/shop/consumerindividual/
    03-18-15 11:48 PM
    It also appears that you can buy one of your own, if you feel so inclined - for 2975 Euros, that is: https://www.secusmart.com/en/shop/consumerindividual/
    You have to buy them as a pair, because you need a card at both sides of the line. Kaching,6000 euros lighter and the secret will be watching over you for what you might hide.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 08:44 AM
    It seems most of the cost of the tablet is the SecuSmart hardware. Apperian might be a good acquisition for BlackBerry if not for the dynamic app wrapping technology, then for competitive reasons.
    03-19-15 12:26 PM
    And Knox was secured by BlackBerry software and innovations. This whole thread makes me laugh.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and it is also secured by all other EMM solutions vendors including Airwatch, Citrix and etc. Check out the link below.
    https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog/...eady-galaxy-s6
    mikeo007 likes this.
    03-19-15 02:57 PM
    Security costs!!!!
    03-19-15 03:05 PM
    You need to highlight this as well:
    Make no mistake – this is awesome news for BlackBerry, which was aware of the secure Android tablet work going on behind the scenes as it made the M&A move, and now there is a significant media and marketing bonus for BlackBerry as well.
    03-19-15 11:16 PM
    The full article is an awesome read. The Blue Hill guys are great tech researchers. They anticipated the price question.
    You might still choose to ask, “Really, a $2,400 tablet?” Hell yeah! And worth every penny if you need the security – and as much peace of mind about it as can be mustered in this day and age of potential cybersecurity hell we live in. You know who you are, and you will want it, and those who you work for will happily pay that price.
    03-19-15 11:22 PM
    I apologize for my harsh language but this is just copy of samsung.
    03-20-15 02:50 AM

That's nuts.

Probably targeted at Governments and corporate organisations who value security more than anything.

Blackberry Classic | Circa 2015
    03-21-15 08:58 AM